SAK mod cleaning.

I went to screw my SAK mod onto my 10/22 yesterday and the threads sounded gritty so I took it off and had a closer look. It looked OK, but a good dose of WD40 didn't seem to fix it so I decided to give it a proper clean.

I unscrewed the end cap but the insides wouldn't push out. I soaked it with more WD and left it for 20 minutes. They still wouldn't push out, so a small block of wood and a few taps with a hammer loosened it enough for me to push out.

It was in such a state I had to pick lumps of gunk out of the tube and the innards with a screwdriver and knife. I blew it out with an airline, dabbed a bit of copperslip onto any threaded parts and it was good as new.

I won't let it get so bad next time as a 5 minute job turned into a real palaver. When I bought it, I wasn't expecting to have to clean it it every 7 years. :laugh:

I've had the same with a SAK I have, they do collect some gunk, but at least you can get into them to clean, unlike the A-Tec's I have which are maintenance free?? Wondering how long these units last until they bung up and are unusable?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, David.evans said:

There’s one simple answer to carbon build up and that is @@@@@@@@@ red diesel, over night soak , wipe all the shit off then a good wipe over . No carbon 

if you’ve never tried it please do

atb 

I'll give that a try. I have some red here for non-road purposes. 

After a decent clean of a SAK some years back I had the idea of putting all the pieces into the dishwasher and gave it a good seeing to just to finish things off.

I was more than a little surprised how mush top and bottom faded, but everything was pretty clean!