It’s that time of year again

Now that’s day three over and it was certainly a wet one, from the moment we got there the rain didn’t stop, 44 was the bag, I managed 8 myself and the rain didn’t seem to stop them getting above the trees, providing some nice sporting birds, everybody got some shooting which is always good to see, as we moved out to the back of the shoot the cloud lowered as you can see in the picture, that’s longshanx on the next peg to me, on this drive you could hear the birds coming long before you could see them, it was a early finish today, so all back down to the pub for a warm, a drink and a few nibbles, roll on the next one and fingers crossed for some dry weather 

7295145D-ED50-46CE-BBD3-5616810CF7E4.jpeg

ABE0313C-B853-4F10-9A39-0317104E73D1.jpeg

A05C7C37-0B53-47FB-B25B-E351B8648605.jpeg

• Like 7

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don’t know if I’ve mentioned this on here before but a good few months ago a very good friend and my long time shooting buddy had a heart attack while out walking and had to be air lifted off the hi

Now that’s day three over and it was certainly a wet one, from the moment we got there the rain didn’t stop, 44 was the bag, I managed 8 myself and the rain didn’t seem to stop them getting above the

Well it's different for me. I have shoots all around me but being a loner and anti social weirdo I just keep on top of vermin and then I get birds walking of shoots looking for peace. I do h

Posted Images

Feeding up this morning and there’s still a blanket of low cloud, the birds have made there way back into the main drives and those that survived the barrage of shots yesterday are back on the feeders and seem none the worse for there experience, perhaps a little on edge and not wanting to hang around for a photo opportunity but who can blame them, with the next time we shoot been half way through our season we are now concentrating on feeding the long drives with the heavy cover that hold the majority of the birds, all we can hope for now it cold weather and a clear day next time out, but looking at the forecast I don’t think there’s much chance of that this week at least 

DE9BAA2D-BCD8-4C87-9843-5C05BE29606C.jpeg

8CE0AAC5-995F-46D5-92B1-DF37A40B5D2E.jpeg

79BA24AF-F0DE-4039-879D-DF539691BB53.jpeg

• Like 3
On 23/11/2019 at 13:40, Baldcoot said:

Out til 2am looking for S/d,s ghost fox .only appears to the landowner or dog walkers but  has a Klingon cloaking device when im about .Wett and slimy underfoot after a solid afternoon drizzle but stayed dry till i got back to the car thanks Mrs Longshanks your prayers worked for me .Wet as a politician today but i dont envy you that damp wind has an edge to it here good luck and hope your bags full atb

I wish they worked for me and Stav BC, even though we were soaked through it was still a cracking day, Stav bagging 8 and me...... well we won't go there?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Longshanx said:

I wish they worked for me and Stav BC, even though we were soaked through it was still a cracking day, Stav bagging 8 and me...... well we won't go there?

You can’t kill them all mate, you may of missed a few but you were not the only one, I know there was a fair few inexperienced guns there yesterday but Andrew has just told me the shot count and for 44 birds it’s mental, but everyone had a good day and that’s all that matters ?

• Like 3
On 24/11/2019 at 18:48, Stavross said:

You can’t kill them all mate, you may of missed a few but you were not the only one, I know there was a fair few inexperienced guns there yesterday but Andrew has just told me the shot count and for 44 birds it’s mental, but everyone had a good day and that’s all that matters ?

Certainly had a bit of speed and height mate, still a cracking day, always is????

The drive we were in the rape was mental, spooky even. Hear them coming but couldn't see them till the last minute. 

Haha! 16 shots, 1 hit? the one I hit was a decent high bird so made up for the misses

ive never played golf but all you ever hear is ive had a bad day... I recon the shoguns are no different, I have mint days and truly rubbish days when its embarrassing!

but like you've said one great shots worth a hundred mediocre ones. 

looks and sounds like you all enjoyed it and thats all that counts:good:

• Like 3

Haha! 16 shots, 1 hit? the one I hit was a decent high bird so made up for the misses

Those 15 misses will blur into all the others as you get older. But that high pheasant will keep getting higher! By the time your telling your grandkids, it'll be a 65yd screamer that dropped snow on uncle stavros as it plummeted down like a falling meteorite! 

• Haha 4
14 hours ago, si brown said:

ive never played golf but all you ever hear is ive had a bad day... I recon the shoguns are no different, I have mint days and truly rubbish days when its embarrassing!

but like you've said one great shots worth a hundred mediocre ones. 

looks and sounds like you all enjoyed it and thats all that counts:good:

I like your logic Si?? at the end of the day it's always great to be amongst it and I've Stav to thank for that??

Always a cracking day out. 

• Like 3
13 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

Those 15 misses will blur into all the others as you get older. But that high pheasant will keep getting higher! By the time your telling your grandkids, it'll be a 65yd screamer that dropped snow on uncle stavros as it plummeted down like a falling meteorite! 

To be honest Ben I think I peppered a satellite, so if your phone reception is crackling I do apologise ???

One can only dream?

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, Longshanx said:

I like your logic Si?? at the end of the day it's always great to be amongst it and I've Stav to thank for that??

Always a cracking day out. 

Your more than welcome mate, I’ve always liked to give people the opportunity to have a go at some new shooting, just like some people did for me in the past, one thing that has always bothered me about shooting and the shoot community is that some treat it like a secret society not allowing outsiders or people who are trying to get involved in, shooting is and should be for everyone who wants to be involved ?

• Like 4

Hand feeding this morning and what a difference a day makes, with all the rain we have had I’m sure not only the pheasants but all the wildlife will be glad of a bit of sun on their backs, I didn’t see loads of birds but there was a lot of activity up there today with dog walkers and forestry cutting back trees on the roadside and chipping them into trailers, I’m sure this will of kept them under cover, so after putting a bit of straw out under some thick evergreens and hand feeding it in preparation for the cold weather that’s forecast for the next week I hopped on the bike and headed over to the valley to admire the view on this lovely clear day, where else would you want to be on a day like this ?

3B581532-B045-4AC9-871F-31B303230FBA.jpeg

EE1E038B-63B9-4A3F-979D-625F97664BF9.jpeg

4E3BAB18-BBC5-4A0C-B01C-0D1C163ADCA4.jpeg

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 3