It’s that time of year again

Well the novelty of been a part time keeper for the shoot members has worn off already, trying to get people to go up to feed has proved impossible so it looks like it’s left to the 3 of us again, I don’t understand some people you even get to ride around on the quad looking important, the birds seemed to have settled in well with just a couple dead in each pen, with no real rain forecast for the next week or so all they have to do is eat, drink and bask in the sunshine ☀️ ?

66FD08A1-5ECF-43DE-8D2E-92B784030819.jpeg

A9E82A6B-E624-4A0C-82B6-01CD6982FB43.jpeg

47DC5487-8D50-479F-8AB7-56CA16021055.jpeg

975DFA3C-0633-4263-B707-888C2C474DBF.jpeg

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don’t know if I’ve mentioned this on here before but a good few months ago a very good friend and my long time shooting buddy had a heart attack while out walking and had to be air lifted off the hi

Now that’s day three over and it was certainly a wet one, from the moment we got there the rain didn’t stop, 44 was the bag, I managed 8 myself and the rain didn’t seem to stop them getting above the

Well it's different for me. I have shoots all around me but being a loner and anti social weirdo I just keep on top of vermin and then I get birds walking of shoots looking for peace. I do h

Posted Images

Well they are coming along, most are out the pens now and seem to be doing well, after the first week in the pen a fair few didn’t seem to be doing to good, very lethargic and not really take much feed, so a keeper friend of my missable mate I take out, spent all Sunday up there with him sorting them out, dosing the water with all kinds of medication and giving advice about keeping them on the medicated feed and that they needed to be out the pens, it seems to have done the trick, they were looking a lot happier today, fingers crossed this is how they will carry on ?

15049536-B353-4FEE-BC3A-135FCC1D41C5.png

• Like 4
45 minutes ago, David.evans said:

It’s great when you can see all your hard work come together 

well done stav ?

I certainly can’t take all the credit but it’s a lovely sight when you go up and see them doing what pheasants do and looking well after a worrying week when things weren’t looking good, my mate Andy has spent a lot more time up there this year, his little lad Hugo loves been there and he’s at the age now where everything is a question and I know his dad loves that because he can show him things that most kids don’t get to see

• Like 3

That’s always the problem with late birds Stav , they will have been the second lot through the sheds probably . No matter how good the game farmer or the guy rearing them is , you can’t be as clean and disease free as the first birds . A friend of mine got some birds a week ago from one of the largest game farms in Shropshire and they have had “problems “ , his birds started to get bulgy eye and looking worse for wear . He got some antibiotics into them and he’s now lifted the wire . Fingers crossed for him .

• Like 1
4 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

That’s always the problem with late birds Stav , they will have been the second lot through the sheds probably . No matter how good the game farmer or the guy rearing them is , you can’t be as clean and disease free as the first birds . A friend of mine got some birds a week ago from one of the largest game farms in Shropshire and they have had “problems “ , his birds started to get bulgy eye and looking worse for wear . He got some antibiotics into them and he’s now lifted the wire . Fingers crossed for him .

We have had this a few times in the past, as long as we get them on the medicated and dose the water in the first few days they come good, last year they started with the bulging eyes and sh*ty back ends and took a bit of pulling round but that turned out to be one of the best years we have had, the lad who runs the shoot told me yesterday that this is his last year doing it and asked if I wanted to take it on with little Hugo’s dad, it’s got me thinking now that I might want to give it a go for a season and see how I get on ?

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, Stavross said:

In my head I do, most other people will probably think something different ?

I'm the same mate, love gathering ewes using bike. Have even been known to dive off it and tackle a ewe on the move (did hurt my hip but I didn't let on!) 

• Haha 1
On 23/08/2019 at 12:23, Stavross said:

Well the novelty of been a part time keeper for the shoot members has worn off already, trying to get people to go up to feed has proved impossible so it looks like it’s left to the 3 of us again, I don’t understand some people you even get to ride around on the quad looking important, the birds seemed to have settled in well with just a couple dead in each pen, with no real rain forecast for the next week or so all they have to do is eat, drink and bask in the sunshine ☀️ ?

66FD08A1-5ECF-43DE-8D2E-92B784030819.jpeg

A9E82A6B-E624-4A0C-82B6-01CD6982FB43.jpeg

47DC5487-8D50-479F-8AB7-56CA16021055.jpeg

975DFA3C-0633-4263-B707-888C2C474DBF.jpeg

After a cracking Sunday dinner (weekly reminder why I bothered to marry her!) is there any finer way to spend a warm September evening than feeding & walking the shoot with your best friend? 20190908_195119.jpg.63c40833213f3c026809fcc2a1b4ae7f.jpg20190908_195131.jpg.63ed928a37e4d086fa28ccc976a314c2.jpg

20190908_194009.jpg

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Stavross said:

No better way at all mate, is that where you work or have you joined a local shoot?

Got on a local small shoot mate. Been helping out there since June (?) only a few of us, release small amount & have flight pond. Roll on October! 

Ps stav have my FAC visit in 2 weeks! 

• Like 3

Well the flight pond would of sold that for me, there’s nothing better than a bit of duck shooting, for me the best shoots I’ve been on or part of have always been private shoots, it’s not all about big numbers and high birds, the shooting comes second to a day out with a good bunch of people, I’m off down to Lincolnshire on Friday for a bit of shooting with a mate ( robin foxer off YouTube) fingers crossed it might include some duck

you should have no problems with you FAC it’s a tool to be used with your job and now you are involved with a shoot it’s another reason for needing the right tools for the job ?

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Well the flight pond would of sold that for me, there’s nothing better than a bit of duck shooting, for me the best shoots I’ve been on or part of have always been private shoots, it’s not all about big numbers and high birds, the shooting comes second to a day out with a good bunch of people, I’m off down to Lincolnshire on Friday for a bit of shooting with a mate ( robin foxer off YouTube) fingers crossed it might include some duck

you should have no problems with you FAC it’s a tool to be used with your job and now you are involved with a shoot it’s another reason for needing the right tools for the job ?

We've put fair few lofted nest boxes on flight pond, had plenty activity all summer. They're all really keen on overall conservation side of it.

Only put in for 17HMR this time. Gonna add 223 when move house next year.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

We've put fair few lofted nest boxes on flight pond, had plenty activity all summer. They're all really keen on overall conservation side of it.

Only put in for 17HMR this time. Gonna add 223 when move house next year.

On our little shoot we feed right through the winter even after we have finished shooting  and up until the start of summer, the different species of birds that are up there is unbelievable, if the winter is particularly harsh we’ll even take the tops off a few feeders for the deer, It’s nice when people are not just in it for the shooting and appreciate what the have got ?

• Like 3