It’s that time of year again

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don’t know if I’ve mentioned this on here before but a good few months ago a very good friend and my long time shooting buddy had a heart attack while out walking and had to be air lifted off the hi

Now that’s day three over and it was certainly a wet one, from the moment we got there the rain didn’t stop, 44 was the bag, I managed 8 myself and the rain didn’t seem to stop them getting above the

Well it's different for me. I have shoots all around me but being a loner and anti social weirdo I just keep on top of vermin and then I get birds walking of shoots looking for peace. I do h

Posted Images

Well the birds are coming tomorrow another week later than planned due to the weather, this has given us a bit more prep time on the pens, so me and two others have been up today and put a new drinker system in one of the pens, we have been flat out on the tap and the hole thing has cost £15.49 for a fitting for the IBC water tank and 4 hours of our time, I’m very pleased with our efforts, no more manually filling the drinkers at the back of the pens ?

646C2419-9F64-4C9A-8506-F69896007E8E.jpeg

75975AFF-2980-4F66-8977-4002805EDC25.jpeg

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Who did the steel work, looks good?

The lad in the picture, he’s a shoot member, he owns a fabrication company, I was impressed when he turned up with them, I was going to make the hangers out of fence rails 

• Like 1

This is why we have put the drinkers in, we’ve had a big problem with disease in the past, so this seems to be the way to go, a quick tip out and a wipe when feeding and we are good to go, I think someone has put something under them to stop them paddling the ground up around them as well 

I like to put a few shovels of gravel/ grit under and around my drinkers . It stops the mucky paddling and they also pick up a lot of grit for their crop . Then when it looks a bit dirty I move it . In wet weather this is more often than dry weather . I give the drinkers a swirl/wipe every day or so . I’ve not had any disease on this shoot for all the time I’ve been here. I put it down to cleanliness, big pens/ low density, and most importantly, lifting the wire as soon as you can . In my case after about 10 days . That means you have to be on top of the foxes . 

• Like 2

Can’t move the drinks, in the other pen we have gravel around them an that works well, the birds don’t stay in the pens very long, we like to get them out in and around the woods  as soon as they have settled in and know where they live especially if the weather is good ?

On 08/08/2019 at 10:15, Stavross said:

It is really long out in the field but short around the edges, we also have a big field of cut barley next to the rape stubble that would be ideal to draw them into and it still has the bails in it to shoot from

failing that we could take longshanx.308 with the FMJ’s, that’s a joke long one, we and not turning this into a war movie ?

? Spoil sport