• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fcuk me !!!!   I was only asking if it was safe to have a Spoon of Sugar in me two cups of Tea each morning and its turned into University Fcuking  Challenge       

Has Ray hacked your account ?

So if Micky is 70 plus he has to bench 100 kilos and deadlift 200 kilos. Pulling your nutsack out of your sock is an achievement at that age champ. Lower the goalposts a bit. 

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, TOMO said:

ginge have a look at the stonelifting thread....I recon that game would be right up your street

I did(dinny stones) and thought they aint that big.f***ing scottish poofs.and those stones had handles.sides of beef don't

• Haha 4
17 minutes ago, ginger beard said:

I did(dinny stones) and thought they aint that big.f***ing scottish poofs.and those stones had handles.sides of beef don't

Are you a beef carrying champion or something? 

2 hours ago, WILF said:

Ahh, but you have to be realistic with yourself too mate......I could score 30 goals a season and leave defences for dead when I was in my 20s but I can’t do that now......that just normal.

Its just the natural order of things, I think the key is keep doing as much as you can for as long as you can.......your body peaks at about 28-30 then it’s heading down from there, that’s just nature.

I've seen a few peak layer than that. My Thai boxing trainer was 55 when he started training me and he was 36 when he moved to Thailand to start fighting professional. My Judo coach was Brian Moore (ex Olympic team coach), I wouldn't want to scrap with him now and he must be in his late 70's ?

For me however, it seems you are right ?‍♂️?

• Like 1
12 hours ago, TOMO said:

lol.....I know how that feels.....I was never really strong ...but when I look back at what I could do compaired with now....it pisses me off....but I have to think...im 52...im still training hard and enjoying it.....so that's all that matter really...I did 4 and half plate deadlift at ....think that's 210 kilo I think..at 13 stone..mind I was in my early 20's then...

At 52 you won't lift what you could at 32 or 42 without injury. I'm only 38 and I find I can't do what I could do 5 year ago. When I was heavier I could lift more but I find now that I accept it I'd leave my ego behind and try keep my weight down and eat better and improve cardio. Soon as you hit 40 it's time to start looking after your heart. I don't have a great lifestyle or concentrate on diet. It was just by chance I ended up eating rice and chicken and cycling for 2 weeks but I can tell you this. My cardio doubled and I could start to see abs that I haven't seen since I was 18 in that short space of time.  I love my grub tomo and would daily eat enough for 2 men but enjoy it. If I wasn't blocklaying I would definitely be obese. With a thick set frame I find running torture but I could walk behind a hound pack all day or cycle no problem.Them lads that run are built different like a greyhound all ribs and Micky built for speed. If you have them on the other end of a 12 foot window cill though they just can't do it. Body type is different and by the sounds and previous posts your a strong heavy set lad Tomo. I'd just concentrate on cardio mate. Most of those old guys that see 90 are whippets. I've never seen a 90 year old bricky. We are all well broke up before then. Injuries take their toll. I'm working the last 3 weeks with a broken rib but too stubborn and can't afford to take time off. 

• Like 3

Jiggy I still do a bit of lifting & cardio I do bags & pads with my lads, my mate I do weights with he’s 56 & still benches 6 x 20 with his feet off the floor but he’s just a natural he was doing more than that 30 years ago & to be fair he still looks fit I’ve been trying to beat him for years, he doesn’t drink or smoke never has his weakness his sweet cakes I look in no shape at all but laying bricks & doing ground works & it’s toll on yer bones plus the beer don’t help so I’m a athlete inside the outside I’m fecked but still enjoy training eating & get out in fresh air with dogs & long may I carry on atb Flacko 

36 minutes ago, Jobi said:

To all you geriatrics, get on that jungle juice and feel 21 again!!

The odd day that I go back to work I feel the same as I was at 30 , I usually build Chimneys or fancy Brickwork what modern Bricklayers don't want to do I do not touch Concrete Blocks anymore but if it just laying Bricks I feel OK,       Muscle memory perhaps ?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Out of Interest, those of you that say you are not able to do what you were in you 20/30s, have you come back to sport/training after a lay off or have you consistently been at it and noticed a deterioration?

For me personally, and I never did weights, but it’s more a come back to doing stuff type thing.

A change in work and finally retirement from something very physical also assisted my decline......it also took its toll on my back.

Add to which in my playing days I was training 3 times a week then playing games Saturday & Sunday.

I have ticked along still playing football since I stopped playing seriously but not enough and not at a good enough level.

Add all that to a love of food and cooking and it all adds up to I got too fat.

So now it’s a question of tweaking what I eat and doing more football and exercise, which I happen to quiet like.

I’ll also add that one thing I do have on my side is that I don’t drink......that booze ruins lads, it really does.

Edited by WILF
  • Like 1