beddy-Whippets

13 hours ago, shaaark said:

Blacky, how did he know the best working ones of em were smooth coated, did he keep all the pups he bred, and work them all enough to determine which ones were the best? 

Not calling you a fibber like, just being curious and a tad contentious, if you like ??

Some of the litters were all smooth coated and in general made Berra dogs thant others that's what the man said obviously the weren't first x s wi um being all flat skinned but still better workers 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Best to source a pup off genuine hole digging parents that have been at the getting muddy game for at least 5 seasons more ideally 

Yes and the heaviest bag to carry is a empty one 

I think she's gone for a jack Russell ?

Posted Images

9 hours ago, fred90 said:

no if you look back I said I have never seen a straight whippet work cover like a bedlington whippet. nothing to do with coat. I have worked with smooth coated Russell's that smashed cover so coat is not a issue with me. 

thinking about it have you ever seen whippets work cover? brambles, hedgerows etc? I am not saying they won't but I have no experience with them. 

11 hours ago, fred90 said:

no if you look back I said I have never seen a straight whippet work cover like a bedlington whippet. nothing to do with coat. I have worked with smooth coated Russell's that smashed cover so coat is not a issue with me. 

cross bred dogs ie bedy or collie will generally have a better coat than a whippet, rough or smooth, coats are an interesting thing, with coursing dogs there are 4 basic coat types smooth, feathered, broken and wooly, I like the smooth type, but have had one ore two good feathered ones, generally  smooth's  seem faster along with broken coated, woolys and feathered are thought to be slower but with a lot of wind I generally don't hold with these thoughts, and think underneath the coat you have basically the same animal by using one coat type only you could fix a coat type easily, but while ever there are good dogs cropping up in all coat types, they will be bred from, as function is more important to the working dog man than form, I suppose in a saluki based dogs feathered should be the coat of choice but t does not matter in reality.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, two crows said:

cross bred dogs ie bedy or collie will generally have a better coat than a whippet, rough or smooth, coats are an interesting thing, with coursing dogs there are 4 basic coat types smooth, feathered, broken and wooly, I like the smooth type, but have had one ore two good feathered ones, generally  smooth's  seem faster along with broken coated, woolys and feathered are thought to be slower but with a lot of wind I generally don't hold with these thoughts, and think underneath the coat you have basically the same animal by using one coat type only you could fix a coat type easily, but while ever there are good dogs cropping up in all coat types, they will be bred from, as function is more important to the working dog man than form, I suppose in a saluki based dogs feathered should be the coat of choice but t does not matter in reality.

Fair play.know some shit

9 minutes ago, two crows said:

did you know that a genuine first cross saluki greyhound is all ways smooth coated, and never black and tan just a bit more shit lol

no reason to disbelieve you mate. many people say genuine first cross beddywhippet are never smooth coated but that one isn't true. 

Just now, W. Katchum said:

I got an old dog that can still catch if ye wanna see it? an new one won’t be far away?

Na I’m alright mate I’m only interested in my own dogs an what there at but thanks for the offer ??. What you settled on x wise for ya new mutt  katch 

Just now, W. Katchum said:

Been waiting a while for one a jigsaw kelpie crosses, will find out by start next week if all’s went to plan or not, fingers crossed

Fingers crossed for ya hopefully your lucky