Golden Eagles.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We're very lucky to have good numbers here. I've just been watching one for near on half an hour! I wish I knew how to work the wifes SLR, but alas I only can use a set of bino's. What a maj

We got lucky on Skye a few years back. Spotted a Golden Eagle flying directly over the little cottage we were staying in. First full day there.Tracked it with the bins and it came down about 3 furlong

Saw one whilst stalking way up in the highlands few years back and truly was a majestic sight .Shot my stag and watched the eagle come down on the gralloch when we were half a mile away .Made the rave

Posted Images

17 hours ago, Gav said:

Honestly the one I met on the moor, was around twenty feet away, it was so well camouflaged  I didn't even see it till it spooked, it was Callousal, I don't even want to guestimate its size, but very impressive!

Same as myself walking the moors was a bit of a blizzard seen one get up from the Heather behind my mate tried shouting on him must of only been 20 feet from him.if i had a camera would of been some picture would of thought it was going in to lift him up ??

19 hours ago, Elchapo said:

Best bird on the planet ,love watching some of the documentary on YouTube about the mongol eagle hunters 

The relationship with there birds is incredible and the fact they release them back to the wild is a real, man and nature in harmony  situation, the Chinese cormorant fisherman have a simular relationship with there birds, I,ve never seen a golden eagle but do have a lot of peregrines around me which are a pretty spectacular bop  

We got lucky on Skye a few years back. Spotted a Golden Eagle flying directly over the little cottage we were staying in. First full day there.Tracked it with the bins and it came down about 3 furlongs further down the valley on a craggy hillside straight onto the eyrie as it turns out!! Took my two young girls down to  within about 100 yards of it in the car down a little single track road. Not only awesome to see.. but also to hear when you're so close!! Turns out, talking to a local fishermen, the chicks had not long since fledged!

Excuse the poor photo.. taken using a small compact camera.. gives you an idea though! Eagle on the eyrie dead centre.

DSC01907-01.jpeg.44055ec4fc484d47339b92c7a9051c60.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
23 hours ago, Jobi said:

Would be great having one for a bit of foxing, hunting with birds to most doesn't seem as cruel as hunting with dogs. ?

funny you say that, seen few vids  where using them on wolves, not saying the wolves were big type timber wolves, as they can hit 12-13st , real big animals, but even if there smaller size wolves, the eagles still take some stick . it showed one vid where the bird locked on to the wolf, but the wolf was on to the bird in secs , looked like on its  feet, claws or no claws , they shred the  birds feet, so it cruel or not .?   i love to see them pull game down, i used my name (bird) thinking of the birds of prey, and the golden eagle  always comes to mind to me .! 

• Like 1

Used to have a large stuffed female perched on a branch with her wings semi cloaked, it was mounted on the stair landing wall wife made me take it down due to kids being petrified to walk past it especially during the night going to the bathroom 

• Haha 1

Can only imagine.. A terrier mate is into them big time & has a good bit of game these last few winters. Got a sparrowhawk at mine at the moment & im in awe, if I saw an eagle...!

• Like 2

A bird that is the epitome of power no wonder the Romans had it in high esteem . Only seen one in the wild wile on an Hawking holiday up Scotland some years back near Aviemore though I did get to hold one on the fist that a well known flyer of eagles had with him.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

A bird that is the epitome of power no wonder the Romans had it in high esteem . Only seen one in the wild wile on an Hawking holiday up Scotland some years back near Aviemore though I did get to hold one on the fist that a well known flyer of eagles had with him.

know the place?

my uncle has a male bird he will be flying this season.....smaller than a female but just as  impressive imo?

• Like 1

This is an abomination no doubt, but for Sky to link it to the management of grouse moorland and criminality, is at best lazy journalism (informed by ‘Twitter’ no doubt), but much more likely to be agenda driven. 

https://news.sky.com/story/golden-eagle-spotted-flying-with-trap-dangling-from-its-leg-11785471

38 minutes ago, pesky1972 said:

This is an abomination no doubt, but for Sky to link it to the management of grouse moorland and criminality, is at best lazy journalism (informed by ‘Twitter’ no doubt), but much more likely to be agenda driven. 

https://news.sky.com/story/golden-eagle-spotted-flying-with-trap-dangling-from-its-leg-11785471

Packham has already jumped all over this, and is using it with great effect to further his agenda. 

On the balance of probabilty, the bird did pick up that trap from an estate where raptors are preying on game birds. Complete c**t whoever set it. His actions tar everybody and sentence a magnificent bird to death by painful starvation.