FAO: Pianoman

Well spotted Jon.

I wish I had Simon's telephone number but I no longer have it but I think our Jimmy mght because it would be a shame to miss out on that if it was of interest. I know Simon with Jimmy's help made a right hand stock into a left hooker so perhaps that does all that was needed, mind you having seen Simon sit four pellets on top of eachother with my right handed TX200 at 35mt, he doesn't really need a left hooker in my book. ?

Phil

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this JonJon ...and your kind words Phil. That TX200HC you had was one of the best spring air rifles I have ever tried and shot with.

The link will not allow me to access the AirgunBBS page article/thread.

But, thanks to a lot of help and advice from Jimmy, who very kindly acquired a Beech Pro Sport stock and fashioned it into a left hand user  friendly one and gave to me, I took the plunge and bought a brand new, right handed, walnut stock Pro Sport for the price then, of £555 and, while using the stock Jimmy made for me to get the rifle run in and shooting well, I set to work with various grades of sandpaper and reshaped the grip into a left handed palm swell and smoothed away the roll-over comb of the buttstock, till a comfortably and controlling  fit of my left hand and cheek emerged and the stock fits like a glove.

The right hand loading port is no problem for me to load while lying prone.

I even managed to re-carve the filigree and an acanthus leaf into the grip after the original decoration was lost in the sanding process.

I now have a left hand Pro Sport .22 I can shoot with comfortably and satisfyingly.

The stock was sent up to Jimmy who cleaned up my shaping work and returned it with an oil finish. Then, the rifle was tuned and fettled by Tim/Charlycaller here who installed a Tinbum tuning kit, replacing the steel spring guide with a delrin one which got rid of the twang of metal vibrating against the spring. The result is an incredible, PCP-level accurate, hard hitting and smooth action Pro Sport with 5.52mm Air Arms Diablo Field pellets. It bags rabbits, woodpigeon and squirrels with absolute humane accuracy and power. As any fine hunting air rifle should do.

Possibly Air Arms will make another small batch of left hand Pro Sports again. But to be absolutely honest, if they do, they are going to be too late in the day now for me. 

I am more than totally delighted with my own custom made rifle and my enormous thanks go to two great lads here, Jimmy and Tim who helped make my dream a reality I will cherish all my remaining years.

Best regards to you all gentlemen.

Simon.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, pianoman said:

I am more than totally delighted with my own custom made rifle and my enormous thanks go to two great lads here, Jimmy and Tim who helped make my dream a reality I will cherish all my remaining years.

Very well said Simon.

At times I do wish I had kept the TX that you shot but hey ho too late now.

Phil

• Like 1