What you playing at stav

With the first fields of cut barley I gave the long one a shout and off we went for a wander for an hour, walking the hedgebacks coming across a lot of foxy evidence we set ourselves up the other side of the field with the wind blowing at us, with the caller on a mouse call we gave it 30 minutes or so, nothing showing so turned to rabbit distress, a few minutes in and up popped Charlie exactly were we thought it would come from, so up with the rifle and at no me than 130 yards you would think it was a done deal, but not in this case, as soon as I squeezed the trigger I knew the shot wasn’t good as I knew I had  moved the rifle and with no telltale thud it soon became apparent that all I did was educate the little fella, so moving up the field and giving it another half hour or so and with nothing else showing we called it a night, I suppose we all fluff shots now and then but it’s particularly hard for us northerners as them rounds are £1.50 each ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Stavross said:

I suppose we all fluff shots now and then but it’s particularly hard for us northerners as them rounds are £1.50 each ?

A week unable to afford potatoes now. You'll have learnt your lesson.

• Haha 3

That's you not sleeping properly for a week?

You'll certainly get a chance at another one around that feild, the runs ran either side of the hedgerow with a lot of fresh scat. Definitely more than one. Charlie last night was interested in the caller but just didn't seem to want to commit to coming to far out into the feild?

As soon as you pulled the trigger you knew it wasn't good, the disappointment on your face, I was gutted for you mate?

As they say " Keep Calm & Carry On" ?

Edited by Longshanx
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

£1.50 ?

I don't know what's worse....the £1.50 or missing the chance of seeing a Yorkshire man getting excited!

Can't get them all bro.

Definitely the £1.50, I’m not bloody made of money 

• Haha 1

We all miss em . And it’s usually the easy ones . I go through a routine of checks , shoulder , cheek , breathing etc . Whenever I miss it’s because I’ve not thought it through properly , I’ve hurried the shot . But in the field things happen fast and most of the time muscle memory and experience takes over and you hit the mark , but when I miss I usually know why . A funny story , a keeper I know told me he was out dogging in a boundary the other night , saw a foxes head sticking up in the grass , shot it with his 17hmr,  heard a crack , then saw it run off , he squeaked it stopped and he put one in his rib cage , it did a little wriggle then saw it run off again. He was cussing and thinking how shit the 17  was . Next day he was dogging in again in the same place and picked up two dead cubs . ???

• Haha 3

Be careful taking head shots at fox with 17!

DSCN1273_zps38ta1x1w.jpg.7d8dadbadc99f7bd2eacf90423bd04a3.jpg

I shot this fox with a brown Bess of all things but was surprised to see this old wound probably only a few days old.

No I don't know what did it but my money is on 17hmr.

The above statement is an assumption and or an opinion so therefore not factual or to be referred to in any connection associated to lengthy argumentative debates of calibre choice.

Just saying....

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

We all miss em . And it’s usually the easy ones . I go through a routine of checks , shoulder , cheek , breathing etc . Whenever I miss it’s because I’ve not thought it through properly , I’ve hurried the shot . But in the field things happen fast and most of the time muscle memory and experience takes over and you hit the mark , but when I miss I usually know why . A funny story , a keeper I know told me he was out dogging in a boundary the other night , saw a foxes head sticking up in the grass , shot it with his 17hmr,  heard a crack , then saw it run off , he squeaked it stopped and he put one in his rib cage , it did a little wriggle then saw it run off again. He was cussing and thinking how shit the 17  was . Next day he was dogging in again in the same place and picked up two dead cubs . ???

A good few years back I was out with a mate of mine fox shooting about this time of year and spotted a cub about 120 yards or so away, now at the time he was using a 30-06, I know this is way over the top but he liked it, anyway he took the shot with the fox side on and down it went, as we walked over it became apparent that there was two on the ground mirroring each other, it must of been exactly in line with the first one when he took the shot 

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Stavross said:

A good few years back I was out with a mate of mine fox shooting about this time of year and spotted a cub about 120 yards or so away, now at the time he was using a 30-06, I know this is way over the top but he liked it, anyway he took the shot with the fox side on and down it went, as we walked over it became apparent that there was two on the ground mirroring each other, it must of been exactly in line with the first one when he took the shot 

That's good value stav! Might be worth getting a variation!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2