Cracking year for butterflies.

7 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

As above. Brilliant to see so many varieties. Anybody know why they are so abundant this year?

don't know why but when 

I was round mother in laws the other day there were a few big red admirals on a shrub in the back garden.  I went to get the little girl to show her but by the time I got her out there they had moved on. there were a couple high up but she's only 4 and not in a frame of mind yet to stand quiet and wait. I'd rather her get older and gain an interest than catch one up and risk damaging the creature.  Better that it is free on the wind for another day. It's like when I was a kid there were all sorts of butterflies and glow worms.  I haven't seen a glow worm for about twenty five years. and that was only couple of them in a hedge on the farm

19 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

As above. Brilliant to see so many varieties. Anybody know why they are so abundant this year?

Don’t no the reason, but I have also noticed an increase in butterfly’s? nature suffers not feast nor famine,  so it will be making up for a few bad years I would imagine ?

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

Las Vegas are getting grasshoppers in swarms that are showing up on weather radar! We're getting grasshoppers and other insects showing up in swarms also. They're reckoning it's do with rainfall and mild spring couple with a sudden heatwave accelerating the breeding cycle.

You need to call bill Hayes

• Haha 1

Got loads around my buddlia and in the conservatory ... I’ve got a saucer of sugar water up on a shelf for them and it’s always crowded with them ........

1 hour ago, socks said:

Got loads around my buddlia and in the conservatory ... I’ve got a saucer of sugar water up on a shelf for them and it’s always crowded with them ........

I will try that.?

there's definitely a lot more about this year , nice to see

painted lady

BPW_9247.JPG.3121ce1131a50943ae9f97049a69d41a.JPG

BPW_9264.JPG.b5833f4f6f0b677dc413ed6e24d70469.JPG

red admiral

BPW_9290.JPG.4187f7e28ed8fd8293f62fb3381d19cd.JPG

BPW_9252_01.JPG.4ecd731209c1036ad549246aaf4c7a20.JPG

• Like 4

I spent a few days on a canal boat recently the couple who own it was telling me this is the second best summer for sightings of rare butterflies since records began.....apparently the heatwave of 1976 is what started monitoring as supposedly a heatwave always boosts numbers the following year......which would make sense after the heat we had last summer....they might of been talking bollocks for all i know but they seemed to know their shit.....interesting little creatures i took a blurry picture of a " black and orange one "....that im reliably informed is a male Brown Argus.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 5

I,m hoping to spend the rest of my life on a canal boat once I unleash all the burdens of modern life I realise I don’t need to be happy, it’s all about the journey not the destination and that’s why they have time to study butterfly,s and other pleasantry,s that just pass most folk by ✌️✌️

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, Greyman said:

I,m hoping to spend the rest of my life on a canal boat once I unleash all the burdens of modern life I realise I don’t need to be happy, it’s all about the journey not the destination and that’s why they have time to study butterfly,s and other pleasantry,s that just pass most folk by ✌️✌️

It was a pleasant few days up the River Lea im not sure i could live like it though i dont suppose winter is quite as picturesque .....but it was certainly fun for a while,from what i saw its pretty much an amphibious pub crawl ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1