Is it necessary

I have recently joined a wildfowling club for the season ahead, after speaking to a few friends who also do a fair bit of wildfowling I have been told more than once I should consider buying a 3 1/2” chambered gun? None of the clubs land is on the foreshore it is only really marshland and on the river so is 3 1/2” really necessary or will I be ok to use my normal 3” chambered gun? 

Cheers

Dan

Thanks for the replies, this fits in with what I thought. 

My 3” o/u is steel proof and I don’t shoot terribly with it so I shall use that. 

On another note, a gunsmith I spoke to over the weekend said he sells a lot of 2 3/4” steel as people like the 32gm load for driven ducks? Would these be enough on the marsh or is it better to just stick to the 34gm and 36gm 3”? 

Cheers 

Dan 

I'll probably be told otherwise but personally I would always err on the larger side for Wildfowling. 

Purely based on my theory that I find it harder to judge the range and I think I find myself shooting at birds that are farther than I think. 

On 09/08/2019 at 09:35, ADN-EA-15 said:

Cheers for the replies. Well looks like a few boxes of 2 3/4 and maybe one or 2 3” for the geese and I should be good to go. 

You will get them with those no problem.

On 30/07/2019 at 10:18, ADN-EA-15 said:

I have recently joined a wildfowling club for the season ahead, after speaking to a few friends who also do a fair bit of wildfowling I have been told more than once I should consider buying a 3 1/2” chambered gun? None of the clubs land is on the foreshore it is only really marshland and on the river so is 3 1/2” really necessary or will I be ok to use my normal 3” chambered gun? 

Cheers

Dan

You will find 3 1/2 shot a lot slower if you have not shot geese stick  to the 3in will be easier to work your lead out .hope it helps

On 30/07/2019 at 10:18, ADN-EA-15 said:

Cheers

Dan

I shoot 3" and 3 1/2" out of my A400 Extrema and you cannot tell the difference in the speed of the shot.Give the same lead on them with either cartridge and if you get it right you will drop them.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, stoggy said:

I shoot 3" and 3 1/2" out of my A400 Extrema and you cannot tell the difference in the speed of the shot.Give the same lead on them with either cartridge and if you get it right you will drop them.

Well you never got it right when I was showing you how to.go.on.whats that about 4 years ago just keep practicing 

6 minutes ago, leslie harold gedge said:

Well you never got it right when I was showing you how to.go.on.whats that about 4 years ago just keep practicing 

If you showed me how to go on why did I always shoot more than you.Fool.???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
28 minutes ago, stoggy said:

28 minutes ago, stoggy said:

You really are a fool I never saw you shoot more than 6 but you always took more even the canadas I will have them we all laughed at you 

• Haha 1