Cryptorchidism and neutering advice

My current pup Ned (now 14 months old) only has one testicle descended. I didn't pick the pup up from the breeder myself as it was collected by the breeder of my other dog, Noggin, from Devon. To cut a long story short: she bred both parents and was also picking up a bitch pup for herself to replace a retired bitch. I was unable to pick the pup up due to work commitments so she did me the kind favour of collecting mine at the same time and looking after him on her farm for a couple of weeks. Never having had a pup which was a cryptorchid I didn't even think to check so was surprised when he went for his second jab (the first having been given by the farmer's vet in Mid Wales) and the vet pointed it out. When I mentioned this to Noggin's breeder she was equally surprised as she was certain he'd had both descended when she picked him for me. Incidentally, my vet said that, while he couldn't be sure, the testicle seemed to be still close to the surface.

My vet went straight into "He'll have to be castrated soon to avoid cancer and it's hereditary" mode so I decided to do a little research first and found it wasn't as clear cut (no pun intended) as I thought. First, Tracy (Noggin's breeder) advised waiting until he was at least two years old. The reasons were twofold: some dogs don't descend fully until two years old (though it is rare) and castrating before that doesn't allow the male to mature fully re chemical intake etc.

When I researched this more fully I found something interesting. Two of the breeds which were mentioned fairly often for descending late were collies and boxers; both breeds which have a reputation for being either "hyper" or "puppyish" as adults. Now I could be completely wrong and adding two and two and getting twenty two, but maybe some of these individuals have been neutered too early which has caused the problem. Just my thoughts.

The other interesting point came about when I mentioned in passing Ned's problem to two friends of mine. One is a retired doctor and the other a retired midwife. Both were surprised when I said I'd been told it was hereditary as both assured me that this isn't the case in humans. I found nothing online to help with this element apart from a Dutch study which found that when two dogs which were assumed to be carriers were mated together they produced both larger litters and more males in the litter which could be where the theory derives from.

As Ned is about to go back to the vet's for his first booster I thought I'd find out what people on here thought about it before I go in...forewarned is forearmed.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

my understanding is yes  it is hereditory and geneticly can be passed on by male or frmale ,it can increase the risk of cancer , and breeding is not recomended as it can be passed on  .. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

my boss recently took his cocker for its first booster and the vet told him he's only got one dropped testicle( he had never even thought to check himself). They are going to wait and if the other doesn't drop, they are going to remove the retained one only, he'll be normal and able to breed etc etc

• Thanks 1

Thanks riohog and Gilbey.

I forgot to mention in my initial post that I'm not necessarily intending to breed from him, simply that I prefer not to have either dogs or bitches done as, from my limited experience, it does effect them to some extent in terms of their temperament. With regards to it being hereditary almost everything I've found on the internet seems to agree that it is but it always seems to be hearsay. I'm certainly not saying it isn't, merely that it's odd with regards the opinions of my two friends. I've also since found another scientific paper which intimated that research into a genetic link was being done for ulterior motives...but it wasn't clear what they were...very cloak and dagger.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Neal said:

I forgot to mention in my initial post that I'm not necessarily intending to breed from him, simply that I prefer not to have either dogs or bitches done as, from my limited experience, it does effect them to some extent in terms of their temperament. With regards to it being hereditary almost everything I've found on the internet seems to agree that it is but it always seems to be hearsay. I'm certainly not saying it isn't, merely that it's odd with regards the opinions of my two friends. I've also since found another scientific paper which intimated that research into a genetic link was being done for ulterior motives...but it wasn't clear what they were...very cloak and dagger.

it depends how far up the ball is retained  sometimes it can be manipulated down into the sack , .

• Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, Neal said:

same here, never had mine done and don't breed. Boss doesn't breed either.

just asked, they'll have a better idea at 18 month, and he never mentioned anything about it being hereditary, done the above op a few times??

he shoots with the vet so maybe that changes things?

• Thanks 1

Thanks again.

When I take him in for his booster I'm intending to take him in to see one particular vet that I get on better with rather than a random one. He's put down three of my kelpies during the last six years and was very "sensible" about it each time rather than trying to bleed me dry first with multiple tests, scans etc. He also saved Noggin's life when he was knocked over three years ago and looked like he'd probably loose either his leg or his life. 

I've only had one male done and he was well into adulthood at the time. He did seem a bit more sensitive afterwards but not as much as the three bitches I've had spayed. I've never found weight gain an issue but that's probably because I tend to feed them based on their current build rather than a particular weight (of food or dog).

• Like 1

The doctor and midwife aren't real if they said they hadn't known of or thought there isn't a genetic link. ?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19550382/

Lots of studies in humans and other mammals. 

Some general info here 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4889701/

I'd get the surgery done 2 years if no change. 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Things may be looking up: or rather down!

I noticed this morning, while he was laying on his back with his tackle in the air, that there seemed to be a larger "scrotum area" and sure enough, when I checked, there was definitely a second testicle present but it wasn't fully in the sack. I checked again later when he was standing and couldn't feel it but have done so again when he's laying down and it's definitely there. 

I've heard before about people being able to massage it down but I don't fancy trying it myself in case I do more harm than good...and I don't fancy putting a video of that into a search engine...no knowing what might "pop up"!