I used to do a bit with a pushnet off the shore Terry. I never used to bother on the smallest tides, but never noticed much difference (from memory) on mid size tides and up. It could be a pain and hard work when there was even a slight surf on my local beaches with the waves taking the net, some days you would get loads in close, (less than a foot deep) other days they would be deeper / further out. Watch out for weavers when u are sorting u catch, the small ones can be a nightmare to spot. I used to use them for bait for wrasse off the rocks (as well as eating them), they keep easily in a bucket with a small air pump. There were some old boys near me who used big (maybe 5ft across) nets, i made mine around the size of a carp landing net (probably 42" across) and that was enough. You want a good bag depth to the net but not so much u stand on it when your pushing it, and it is much easier if you hold the handle into your chest or gut, with something to spread the weight / force. Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in, I only did it now and again for a bit of fun  / bait / food ?.

2 hours ago, gazjon5 said:

I used to do a bit with a pushnet off the shore Terry. I never used to bother on the smallest tides, but never noticed much difference (from memory) on mid size tides and up. It could be a pain and hard work when there was even a slight surf on my local beaches with the waves taking the net, some days you would get loads in close, (less than a foot deep) other days they would be deeper / further out. Watch out for weavers when u are sorting u catch, the small ones can be a nightmare to spot. I used to use them for bait for wrasse off the rocks (as well as eating them), they keep easily in a bucket with a small air pump. There were some old boys near me who used big (maybe 5ft across) nets, i made mine around the size of a carp landing net (probably 42" across) and that was enough. You want a good bag depth to the net but not so much u stand on it when your pushing it, and it is much easier if you hold the handle into your chest or gut, with something to spread the weight / force. Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in, I only did it now and again for a bit of fun  / bait / food ?.

Great bit of info Gaz thank you