Has anyone seen a homebred dog better a big name coursing dog?

9 minutes ago, Greyman said:

a lot of history gets distorted through time and rose tinted glasses, the shear numbers of hares around in the 80s made good hare dogs more common because hares were everywhere, I remember targets of 100 in a season back in the day, now I probably see 10 a year on a good year, ✌️

your right there where I lived back then it was lifting some of those bitches I had then will of killed four figures in there lives, and when I go back they are poxy tight little fields with no hares in, the dogs today are potentially better I think, but as you say you cant do the numbers now to prove it.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

that's where it all began, so in a way that's a step or two backwards where coursing dogs are concerned, however I don't see that as a bad thing at all, this dog produced some top class dogs in the si

big name dogs, usualy have owners who want to be famous, any purpose bred coursing dog will carry big name blood, and if said dog can catch 3, 4, or even 5 hares it can win a match , against any one.

Guaranteed 3out3 daytime bitch done a few 5s some 7s deerhoundgreyxbedxgrey 27 inch rhfd homebreed 1980   

Posted Images

5 hours ago, TOMO said:

the dog in my avatar....Sally....I bought her at melton catle market for £60.....the fella told me he was right in to the matching game and she wasn't good enough....

she was deer/grey x whipp/grey....no saluki in her ...or at least that's what he told me....she was a real speed freak ....but had 3 mins in the tank...and a great mouth..what I mean by that is she tried every opertunity to kill quik..which she inverably did....

I got her in sept 2002 and in feb 2003 she won the windmill double handed coursing cup...in 2004 she came runner up loosing in the final although neither dog killed the hare but she beat  C.Moyes Splodge in the semi final....

I never ran her for money...as ive never had any I could afford to loose...but she beat some good dogs in them two doubled up comps ....

Gerrus 1 a them pls 

• Haha 1

Most of the coursing bred dogs the linage goes back to your home bred  stuff saluki whippet grey , beddy grey to Salukis eg , but then line breeding started , there’s plenty of dogs out there even today that are home bred no fancy names that will kill hare as good as any , I have seen some good whippet greys x Salukis do the job , I know a lad who lined his old lurcher bitch Weaton grey x to a coursing dog and produced some decent hare killers dogs that could do 2 or 3 regular . IMO it’s all boils down to luck you can breed of lampers and produce top hare killers.

Edited by Westyorkshire_lad
  • Like 3

I aren’t a hare coursing man but i had a dog 20 years ago 1/4 bull 3/4 greyhound dad 3/4 saluki 1/4 greyhound Mam got it at 12 months old and this dog loved teeth but once i got him fit he could run an hare he killed more then he missed atb longers01 

6 hours ago, dogmandont said:

Know an ole fella that says he was killing 3s and 4s regular with 3/4 bred collie lurchers in sixties and early seventies. 

I've had collie crosses that have caught 3 out of 3 when out on a walk, I suspect it might have been different though had they had the law the coursing lads give though. 

15 hours ago, Bearfoot said:

Guaranteed 3out3 daytime bitch done a few 5s some 7s deerhoundgreyxbedxgrey 27 inch rhfd homebreed 1980 

20190326_174103.jpg

No disrespect, but guaranteed 3/3 ??  that suggests it never missed. The dog hasn't been born that never missed, never will be.

9 hours ago, darbo said:

Best type i have seen with no saluki blood was a gsd x greyhound x 3/4 grey 1/4 deerhound very good hare dog daytime early 80s.

Good dog of the same period I saw run a few times was a 3/4 grey x 1/4 alsatian. Light rangy dog that had the knack of ending them reasonably quickly. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, stormyboy said:

No disrespect, but guaranteed 3/3 ??  that suggests it never missed. The dog hasn't been born that never missed, never will be.

That bitch was a class act I can guarantee she pointed worked to the sling on moors she would look the other way at her quarry in rushes waiting on sling baw seen her out she was guaranteed 3ou3 she rarely mist anything she was lighting fast last hare she killed she was 14 we took her for the exercise she nailed it as it rose we only hunted for pot nothing was wasted ever the english came up they asked if we put her on the lead she new the game inside out she was out 4 days a week she killed in tring the fens leyton buzzard oxford everyware these coursing dogs never see they hares she seen guaranteed.  

• Like 1