Ration packs!

Have a look at "absolute wilderness" or "back country" meals. Just add hot water and dinner is served. We lived off them on multi day trips in nz. They are specifically designed for hunting or full on hiking trips. Full of calories to replace the energy you burn on the hill. They are good, not the same as fresh food but when you are wrecked and just need to eat and sleep they are amazing. It also cuts down on gear to carry out, when you are packing meat out every extra oz counts. If you ever want a hand up there I love a bit of backpack hunting. At the time it can be torture but it feels like real hunting! 

• Thanks 1

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I take my chub fishing stove and kettle every where with me......I enjoy a nice cup of tea?no weight to it at all,neoprene cover for when it's cold...30 notes from local tackle shop,gas bottles 4 quid

that kazak bird ....bet she looked like Borats sister ....

That's still got me laughing, even if we could get a delivery they'd need a drone ? Here's some of the 56000 acres of the estate I shoot ?  

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Gav said:

Thats why we take nearly empty back packs ? all I'm saying though is they are handy, but not worth the money now, when my son and daughter were in the military i'd get them free.

There's also nothing to make a decent fire with out there too, just heather which is grand in a kelly but not much else, the peats too wet to burn and we have no trees here. Just hole up in a shieling over night and make the best of what there is.

If you can boil water on your Kelly a bit of bacon and eggs takes about the same heat and a packet of flatbreads to make wraps instead of sangers uses no space, if you want to eat cold food on the go a couple of cans of baked beans has all you need in the way of goodness for a day or two, i can live function and survive pretty well on hobnobs, (other brands available) for several days and often do, oats are good because of the slow release of energy they give throughout the day,  ??

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Greyman said:

If you can boil water on your Kelly a bit of bacon and eggs takes about the same heat and a packet of flatbreads to make wraps instead of sangers uses no space, if you want to eat cold food on the go a couple of cans of baked beans has all you need in the way of goodness for a day or two, i can live function and survive pretty well on hobnobs, (other brands available) for several days and often do, oats are good because of the slow release of energy they give throughout the day,  ??

Thanks for the input pal ?

I was merly asking though if anyone knew where to get these cheaper than the average stores as they've become expensive. We don't live on them, infact used to only take one or two out, the rest we pack the usuall, porridge oats, jerky, snikers etc etc, just for a change these things were great and eaten cold or warm made a change.

Think the popularity of camping etc has driven the price up and the usual companies are just cashing in!

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

What’s the goin price for the army ones mate?

Depends what ya want Meals are £6 to £8, cakes etc a tad cheaper, depends on brand too, folk selling army ones as full box day packs and they vary too on fleabay etc

I guess it all depends what you are doing. The dehydrated meals weight very little, especially compared to canned stuff, and a light gas stove weighs about a quarter of a Kelly kettle. Weight is important! By the time we got back from a 3 day trip my pack was 29 kilos and my mate, who Is considerably fitter than me, was carrying 37 kilos!!! That was all our gear for 4 days and 3 nights plus boned out meat, didn't even include the rifles!

• Thanks 1

I like my kellies, have a small and a large, no fuel to carry and boil in under five mins with scraps of Heather. What suits one doesn't always suit all though, it's what you get used to huh, gas is cleaner though, but soot out of a kellies handy if you wanna go full cammo ?

I have got three gas ones somewhere ?

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1
On 31/07/2019 at 21:39, Gav said:

I like my kellies, have a small and a large, no fuel to carry and boil in under five mins with scraps of Heather. What suits one doesn't always suit all though, it's what you get used to huh, gas is cleaner though, but soot out of a kellies handy if you wanna go full cammo ?

I have got three gas ones somewhere ?

Have done a few gallon of mulled cider in the old Kelly as well over the years, very nice on a cold winters night ✌️✌️

• Like 1

Well, I made a fry up the other day, Sausage, bacon, beans, black pud an scrammbled egg (mushrooms but left them out because they go squishy), stuck the extra I'd done intentionaly in a vac pack, couple of nights in the fridge, ate it today cold, two days old, oh what was I thinking buying that tosh to start with, an absolute delight when you kept your eyes shut! ?

Won't be wasting money on RAT packs any time soon.

They were just handy as the kids used to give me loads, but now hey, I've a fridge full of fresh home made, anyone for breakfast ?

• Like 1