fish keeping/tropical

any of you guys know if this might work

can I ask you guys,has anyone ever come across drift wood on the shore and used it in a tank,are there procedures to take to make safe ,ive seen a few bits of washed up wood that i thought would look amazing in a tank but was not sure if it would be ok to add to the tank,ive a new 180 litre tank not yet touched and wonder if i could utilise these bits i see,thanks for your answers ,

thanks archie,i was thinking you might have to steep it in boiling water or something similar,would you know how long it would have to be kept in the water submerged ?

43 minutes ago, gnipper said:

I think your meant to soak them in something, possibly potassium permangonate? but I could be wrong, it happened once before ?

PP will sterilise it, needs soaked in water for weeks to get it waterlogged as driftwood will just float

1 hour ago, tandors said:

Look into aquascaping it mate, looks miles better planted up than with fake stuff in my opinion

yeah theres going to be a lot of plants in it like our smaller one ,if i need to wait weeks for it to be ok then i just go with the bogwood,...im just feeling out the options ,a bit of sand on the bottom and add a good few bits of bogwood and then a lot of plants ,,thanks for the replies,if youve any photos of your set ups drop them on here ,im studying youtube and goofgling like a mad thing at the minute 

The correct way to make driftwood/bogwood safe is to bake it in an oven as this drys it right out and kills any parasites,fungus,bacteria etc that might be hiding in it....after that soak it in a bucket outside over a couple of weeks,if some algae has not built up add some brewers yeast and some live daphnia.....daphnia should happily live and breed in it but if they quickly die off then you know the wood is still leaching out something toxic in which case start again and repeat.......takes some patience but that is the correct way of doing it.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, tandors said:

Theres a bloke called George farmer on YouTube who does it all looks quality, but then you end up buying co2 bottles and all sorts.

Easier to just swap the price tags in the garden centre ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • 4 months later...

I was going to stick a few photos up of our tanks but unfortunately it's not possible for some reason unbeknown to me, we have chopped and changed a few times and are happy with the result so far, got some nice compatable fish and some nice plants in both tanks,