New gun for my wife.

Since we sold my wife's Caesar Guerini 32" trap gun last year, she has had a few older guns to use as she could not decide what to do regarding her clay shooting. Last week my local rfd did a deal with a new gun and took in a really nice Beretta 692 custom stock skeet gun. Now as the stock is adjustable and the barrels have no side ribs, the balance and fit of this gun for my wife was nothing less than superb.

All is good, a perfect all rounder for my wife............................................................until she shot it, my god a kick like a blackpool donkey, even for me so time to tweek or not bother with it.

The gun was ideal for my wife so it was worth trying different recoil pads as the stock was a bit short and the kickeeze pad was garbage (as I think all those pads are). We tested several gel pads and instead of the Eley Superbs 28gr, we switched to Eley Select 21gr and Hull Comp-X 21gr. the new combination worked very well and so the deal was done today. I have ordered another gell pad and will no doubt fir an ISIS Recoil Systems adjustable Green pad which are fantastic. There is still a little tweeking to do before I am completely happy but she shot the gun with the Comp-X 21gr shells last night on a sporting clays layout and did well considering it was a new gun and cartridge combination.

It is now siting with my DT10 in the cabinet.

20190719_115843_zpsalkqhsm5.jpg

20190719_115851_zpslyi8v1fo.jpg

Phil

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

If a gun is knocking the shooter about then it is a case of the gun not fitting the shooter or the shooter not holding the gun correctly. In the case of women or youths it can be caused by lack of upper body strength to hold the gun without leaning over backwards.  The Hull comp x is a nice cartridge. But the recoil is only generated by the load x velocity. SO if she used to shoot a particular load effectively then it can only be down to fitting or hold.

On 11/12/2019 at 19:39, Meece said:

If a gun is knocking the shooter about then it is a case of the gun not fitting the shooter or the shooter not holding the gun correctly. In the case of women or youths it can be caused by lack of upper body strength to hold the gun without leaning over backwards.  The Hull comp x is a nice cartridge. But the recoil is only generated by the load x velocity. SO if she used to shoot a particular load effectively then it can only be down to fitting or hold.

Neither. I have been shooting for over 50 years so when I tell you that this gun had high recoil then please believe me, it had nothing whatsoever to do with the person shooting it. Altogether 5 experienced clay shooters of some standing all found the gun to have high recoil using their standaed cartridges.  Any experienced shooter would be checking gun fit from the outset and as for leaning backward, leave it out pal. My wife is an established clay shooter and in particular trap shooting so you are talking about someone who has shot for over 25 years, don't you think we would be aware of the basic stuff you are talking about.

I have made some changes to the recoil pad and with the cartridges she is using, she does very well with the gun and as a matter of fact I have shot the gun with my 28gr cartridges ro great effect without the severe recoil.

Phil

• Like 2