Is this a thing of the past working dogs at working mans prices

1 hour ago, Sox74 said:

That's some amount of money.

To each their own I suppose, if that's what keep them happy.

It's understandable why people get breeding these type of dogs for money like that.

Not saying that it's right or wrong.

Atb Sox 

I'm in agreement with your earlier post mate. I think it's an obscene amount of money to pay for a dog, if you could afford it or not. And when I said 'an old mate', we were mates years ago, lived about 50 yards from each other. First started rabbiting with him and his uncle.  But then as you get older, you change and you develope different interests etc. He kept staffs, and showed them for about 10 years, then got more into all the showing side of it, and started judging at kc shows, and then got into bulldogs  when he saw the money people were charging for, and prepared to pay for those pups.

Don't agree with it at all, just baffled why some people are prepared to pay silly sums of money for what really are a way for vets to rub their hands in glee ?

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 1

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There’s still decent enough lads out there. The people who breed for money will keep breeding because people keep buying the pups. I would never expect a pup for nothing but wouldn’t expect to be ripp

A good working home is worth more than any money 

I remember when the going price was 20-25 quid,sign of the times and inflation.

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, shaaark said:

I'm in agreement with your earlier post mate. I think it's an obscene amount of money to pay for a dog, if you could afford it or not. And when I said 'an old mate', we were mates years ago, lived about 50 yards from each other. First started rabbiting with him and his uncle.  But then as you get older, you change and you develope different interests etc. He kept staffs, and showed them for about 10 years, then got more into all the showing side of it, and started judging at kc shows, and then got into bulldogs  when he saw the money people were charging for, and prepared to pay for thise pups.

Don't agree with it at all, just baffled why some people are prepared to pay silly sums of money for what really are a way for vets to rub their hands in glee 

I don't agree either. 

But that's the sad way dogs are going these days. A lot of these people value their dogs on the price they paid for the dog, not the actual dog it's self.

It's mostly a fashion for these, that have more money than sense imo.

Atb Sox 

• Like 1
Just now, Sox74 said:

I don't agree either. 

But that's the sad way dogs are going these days. A lot of these people value their dogs on the price they paid for the dog, not the actual dog it's self.

It's mostly a fashion for these, that have more money than sense imo.

Atb Sox 

Yep, it's like they think the more they pay for a dog, the better the dog is ?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Yep, it's like they think the more they pay for a dog, the better the dog is ?

Exactly.

Where a dog from the pound could, and often is twice the dog worth a couple of grand. Also it gets a second chance at life which is a good thing in my eyes.

Atb Sox 

• Like 1
Just now, Sox74 said:

Exactly.

Where a dog from the pound could, and often is twice the dog worth a couple of grand. Also it gets a second chance at life which is a good thing in my eyes.

Atb Sox 

Paid £20 for my first lurcher pup lol. She didn't amount to much, but that was down to me 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Paid £20 for my first lurcher pup lol. She didn't amount to much, but that was down to me 

The two dogs I have here, I took them in as pups to save them going to the pound.

Couldn't be more happier with them, or ask any more off them.

I know a person has to pay some price for their dog, but to me anything over €250 max is to much imo.

Atb Sox 

• Like 1

Friends are free people I don’t know I’d charge £150-180 but good home is important but the more I think about it its starting to make sense to put what you don’t want from the litter to sleep Im thinking that is a better option that selling or giving pups away to people you don’t know 

• Like 3

If I ever bred a litter , I’d give them away to my mates if required 

however I’ve never understood this mentality of a total stranger walking away from yours with something you have raised and possibly had for generations for f**k all 

many years ago when I had coursing dogs , I walked away from my pals house with a pup that became easily my best all round killer , he’d paid some serious money for the stud so I felt obliged as his mate to pay my way in the deal 

unless your sharing bloodlines imho you shouldn’t be gifted on agreements 

I want a dog to be my dog and not feel obligated to hand out pups in gratis in return 

the peace is what you pay , but value is what you get  

• Like 4
1 hour ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

If I ever bred a litter , I’d give them away to my mates if required 

however I’ve never understood this mentality of a total stranger walking away from yours with something you have raised and possibly had for generations for f**k all 

many years ago when I had coursing dogs , I walked away from my pals house with a pup that became easily my best all round killer , he’d paid some serious money for the stud so I felt obliged as his mate to pay my way in the deal 

unless your sharing bloodlines imho you shouldn’t be gifted on agreements 

I want a dog to be my dog and not feel obligated to hand out pups in gratis in return 

the peace is what you pay , but value is what you get  

Excuse me for being a tad thick here, but what exactly are you saying?

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 1

you could gift a pup to someone you trust and still have your pants pulled down.......

poxon would you pts soon as they born or 3 months down the line?takes a certain person to cull straight out the bitch imo,only ever met 1 man that did....bit of a ruthless f****r lol.

Always best in my experience  to run them on and see what makes what .....then find good homes?or cull the surplus ?

if I didn't know the person then I would make them pay for a pup.....they do right by it and prove themselves then I would reimburse them 18 months down the road...can't be fairer than that ?

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

you could gift a pup to someone you trust and still have your pants pulled down.......

poxon would you pts soon as they born or 3 months down the line?takes a certain person to cull straight out the bitch imo,only ever met 1 man that did....bit of a ruthless f****r lol.

Always best in my experience  to run them on and see what makes what .....then find good homes?or cull the surplus ?

if I didn't know the person then I would make them pay for a pup.....they do right by it and prove themselves then I would reimburse them 18 months down the road...can't be fairer than that ?

Dan I think your right pants can An will be pulled down by people you think you can trust in this game I’ve been down that road a few times before an hope I’ve learned from it i was once told by my mentor to Lurchers a saying he said to me after a incident there was...once you’ve been burned by the frying pan don’t chuck your self in to fry for a round 2 of being burnt 

I’ve written this out an deleted it about 20 times trying to word it so I don’t sound to much like Im being a spineless c**t I know the lurcher game people can be a bit sensitive I’ve not actually practiced it but I see 100% sence behind it coming from a stock man background I mean I don’t breed for financial gain when I breed it’s for me for what I want in an out of a bitch pup I breed.the answer to your question would if I was to go down the road of pts as a man that only works bitches I have no use for dog pups I don’t keep a line I keep type bred so they would be eliminated a day or two after birth unless one stood out before any attachment was made to them same as any runts would be eliminated by a trained professional vet I’d be doing no diy job I’d rather put my hand in my pocket by doing so I’ve probably eliminated half the litter say average is 8 pups per litter 4 remaining 1runt 3 bitchs remaing gift one bitch run 2 on keep the best of the two ??for your second question would I run 2 on yeah I’d run two on I was going to with the first litter but my friend had lost her young hopefull so I sorted her out one of my 2 keepers I took a retainer fee off her that she got back once the dog was up An running she has done really well with the bitch the favour was returned by my new pup?? 

Cant see my self breeding any time soon as I’m set for dogs for a good few year now I wanna see what there about an just enjoy them 

• Like 2

I'm with Stiff, why the hell should a breeder give away pups he's bred and put money in to himself? True you should only be breeding for the needs of yourself and the dogs you have but you still have to feed and worm them. If folk are not willing to pay for a dog then that makes you question how well they would look after it. 

Edited by Jobi
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, poxon said:

Dan I think your right pants can An will be pulled down by people you think you can trust in this game I’ve been down that road a few times before an hope I’ve learned from it i was once told by my mentor to Lurchers a saying he said to me after a incident there was...once you’ve been burned by the frying pan don’t chuck your self in to fry for a round 2 of being burnt 

I’ve written this out an deleted it about 20 times trying to word it so I don’t sound to much like Im being a spineless c**t I know the lurcher game people can be a bit sensitive I’ve not actually practiced it but I see 100% sence behind it coming from a stock man background I mean I don’t breed for financial gain when I breed it’s for me for what I want in an out of a bitch pup I breed.the answer to your question would if I was to go down the road of pts as a man that only works bitches I have no use for dog pups I don’t keep a line I keep type bred so they would be eliminated a day or two after birth unless one stood out before any attachment was made to them same as any runts would be eliminated by a trained professional vet I’d be doing no diy job I’d rather put my hand in my pocket by doing so I’ve probably eliminated half the litter say average is 8 pups per litter 4 remaining 1runt 3 bitchs remaing gift one bitch run 2 on keep the best of the two ??for your second question would I run 2 on yeah I’d run two on I was going to with the first litter but my friend had lost her young hopefull so I sorted her out one of my 2 keepers I took a retainer fee off her that she got back once the dog was up An running she has done really well with the bitch the favour was returned by my new pup?? 

Cant see my self breeding any time soon as I’m set for dogs for a good few year now I wanna see what there about an just enjoy them 

I only keep and work bitches myself as a rule... tried to keep the dogs I've bred close to me over the yrs,I don't think I would personally breed another litter after my past experiences.....I've no problem paying for what I want if I need another dog in the future ?lots of folks been onto me for pups out of my young wbg bitch......but I don't want the hassle,I've sorted enough lads out over the yrs....so would go back to them for stuff.

poxon you seem to have a plan and talk sense?atvb with it,don't be shy with the pics of your newest recruit.....she's a beaut?

• Like 1