And you wonder why there's antis about

14 minutes ago, WILF said:

Round my area the “gun clubs” rear nothing and the you hear the old “oh, there’s not much about” bollocks.......won’t stop them shooting at a pheasant if the oppertunity presents itself.

Not my cup of tea I’m afraid, I’m just happy to see them now days.

You can see the difference in the UK with its “Keepered Estate” culture just in the sheer amount of game.......the benefits are blatantly obvious and the game is abundant.

I'm not sure exactly how it works in Ireland but it sounds a bit 'communal'? Such ideology sounds good but unless someone with some foresight is allowed to take ownership then it tends to be overly competitive and a race to the bottom. It only takes one wanker to make everyone else think "if I leave that today, the wanker will only kill it tomorrow, might as well shoot it now".

Anywhere where people are allowed to take ownership of the land and it's wildlife, given relative freedom and assuming they have a shred of sense they will nurture their investment.

• Like 1

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was on a charter fishing trip off the Sligo coast last year, we landed a load of pollock and mackerel. When we got back, most people only took one or two and some never took any. There was

The protection of pheasants is the only reason legitimate terrier work has a place today , dog-men  nearly managed to get that banned by bad practice, and keepering could go the same way . There is a

On the upside, his grouse numbers this year were the best ever ! Lol 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Greyman said:

I can see that now the link works ?? the gamekeeper is simply a relic of the past, with no understanding of the modern world all these things were normal practices during a large part of his working life, but he,s failed to adapt and learn to be a good modern hypocrite and liar, not saying I agree with his actions but that his only crime is being really stupid and stuck in the 60s 

Nope he's a wrong un

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Arry said:

Ffs all you need Chris Packham is already going after the game shooting, Just handing him the fuel on a plate.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/07/18/wild-justice-attempting-strangle-game-shooting-industry-latest/

Cheers Arry

They want to send the f***ing idiot to the midlands of Ireland and show him the difference between areas with keepered shoots and areas just left to random local shooters working under shite EU directives !

1 hour ago, dogmandont said:

I’d rather see more of the animals that’s bellend was killing than pheasant or grouse. 

I always have the assumption that the more wild things there are to eat then the more wild predators you will see too......maybe I’m wrong mate 

12 minutes ago, WILF said:

I always have the assumption that the more wild things there are to eat then the more wild predators you will see too......maybe I’m wrong mate 

I can only speak for the areas I hunt wilf but the more shoots that pop up the less predators there are be that foxes, badgers or anything with a hooked bill. 

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, WILF said:

They want to send the f***ing idiot to the midlands of Ireland and show him the difference between areas with keepered shoots and areas just left to random local shooters working under shite EU directives !

The midlands isn't so bad. You might shoot only 20 birds a season but at least they are wild birds and given fair law. Some of those reared duck shoots aren't sport when the bird circles back in a 3rd time after been missed. Some of those shoots sent dogs into the water to get the fat mallard to rise. That's not sport and bad gamekeepers pretending they are wild. I often spent 6 weeks walking rivers to get a mallard and it's worth 100 of those waddling around like muscovys  coming to a feed of barley. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, dogmandont said:

I’d rather see more of the animals that’s bellend was killing than pheasant or grouse. 

The protection of pheasants is the only reason legitimate terrier work has a place today , dog-men  nearly managed to get that banned by bad practice, and keepering could go the same way . There is a lot I could say on this post but this forum is read by those that seek to harm game shooting, so I will keep my thoughts to myself.  Wilf was right when he said that the more wild things there are to eat the more predators turn up to eat them . There is a lesson in this case for anyone who keeps game ....... Don’t be stupid!!!

• Like 4

All forms of hunting should be supported by the different groups. The numbers are low enough without segregation. In Ireland the national body was just about ready to throw terrierwork under the bus to protect game shooting only for a change in government. Stick together lads

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

The protection of pheasants is the only reason legitimate terrier work has a place today , dog-men  nearly managed to get that banned by bad practice, and keepering could go the same way . There is a lot I could say on this post but this forum is read by those that seek to harm game shooting, so I will keep my thoughts to myself.  Wilf was right when he said that the more wild things there are to eat the more predators turn up to eat them . There is a lesson in this case for anyone who keeps game ....... Don’t be stupid!!!

Livestock protection is the key in Ireland rather than game. There isn't a huge amount of shoots and most clubs are run on less than 50 members but when the farmer calls about foxes taking lambs or dogs worrying stock then everything is dropped to help them out. It's usually a generational thing and free permission. I'm hunting my fathers permission and it's 4 or 5 generations down the line now.  No point been greedy or stirring shit or you will be found out eventually

A well looked after shoot can easily accommodate a few predators about the place, avian or mammal. 

A badly run shoot that is losing birds left right and centre to other means like wandering because they get a better deal than empty feeders elsewhere, lack of dogging in etc generally cant so everything that can kill a pheasant is blamed and situations like this arise. 

Id put money on that the keeper was struggling to get his numbers on shoot days.

• Like 2

Was not the Chap who calls his self THE WARRENER up Court recently  for using a Stink Pit to snare Foxes and leaving Snared Rabbits  unattended . I recall him being charged but I never heard the outcome .