After any tips or knowledge as I am looking to buy an old 7.5 ton lorry only want it to use as storage when I sell up and hit the road so no massive miles, seems the two main contenders are Layland  daf or Ford  iveco anyone think of any others worth looking at or ones to avoid  ???

Go for an old daf 45 ,theres not much that goes wrong with them the Cummins 6 cylinder engine is near indestructible... 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Greyman said:

After any tips or knowledge as I am looking to buy an old 7.5 ton lorry only want it to use as storage when I sell up and hit the road so no massive miles, seems the two main contenders are Layland  daf or Ford  iveco anyone think of any others worth looking at or ones to avoid  ???

Are you planning on living in it?

• Haha 2

No I’m hoping to move onto a boat but I have a lot of gear in my house and workshop so a mobile storage unit will be required, an old lorry seems worth looking at as a short term solution ?

32 minutes ago, jok said:

As it happens I might be your saviour. Little DAF 7.5 tonner. Only problem might be that is a curtain sider. Any interest. Jok.

Sorry needs to be secure but thanks ?

• Sad 1
5 hours ago, Chid said:

Go for an old daf 45 ,theres not much that goes wrong with them the Cummins 6 cylinder engine is near indestructible... 

Great old lorry!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Greyman said:

No I’m hoping to move onto a boat but I have a lot of gear in my house and workshop so a mobile storage unit will be required, an old lorry seems worth looking at as a short term solution ?

What kind of stuff are you storing? If it’s house stuff is it worth saving if your going to live on a boat? A 7.5 tonne will be rigid so whatever is on the back (tipper/flatbed/Luton etc) will stay on the back so it might be best buying a 3.5t Luton as some of them are huge now and you wouldn’t have all the f***ing about of owning a 7.5t regards road restrictions/parking it up, higher tax etc etc 

if you did go for a 7.5t though maybe a horse box with a day/living area might be worth a look so it can double up as camper van/spare room for the boat etc but plenty of storage space if you took out and sold all of the horse traveling/sleeping area. 

Depending on how much time/money you can spend on it and how much you can do yourself or help of mates you can get them from £350 but obviously this would need a lot of work lol

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Cargo-Horsebox-7-5-Ton-for-spares-or-repair/273937264293?hash=item3fc7eeeea5:g:nKEAAOSwLVNdM1zj

I don’t think you could go far wrong with this for £2,995.00 tho! 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Horsebox-7-5-ton-Leyland-DAF-45-In-blue-good-condition/254292540149?hash=item3b35043af5:g:IbUAAOSwlf1dJi7U

its a shame it would cost me more than that just to get a 7.5t licence or I’d like to do something like that myself.

good luck :thumbs:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stoney100 said:

What kind of stuff are you storing? If it’s house stuff is it worth saving if your going to live on a boat? A 7.5 tonne will be rigid so whatever is on the back (tipper/flatbed/Luton etc) will stay on the back so it might be best buying a 3.5t Luton as some of them are huge now and you wouldn’t have all the f***ing about of owning a 7.5t regards road restrictions/parking it up, higher tax etc etc 

if you did go for a 7.5t though maybe a horse box with a day/living area might be worth a look so it can double up as camper van/spare room for the boat etc but plenty of storage space if you took out and sold all of the horse traveling/sleeping area. 

Depending on how much time/money you can spend on it and how much you can do yourself or help of mates you can get them from £350 but obviously this would need a lot of work lol

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Cargo-Horsebox-7-5-Ton-for-spares-or-repair/273937264293?hash=item3fc7eeeea5:g:nKEAAOSwLVNdM1zj

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Horsebox-7-5-ton-Leyland-DAF-45-In-blue-good-condition/254292540149?hash=item3b35043af5:g:IbUAAOSwlf1dJi7U

its a shame it would cost me more than that just to get a 7.5t licence or I’d like to do something like that myself.

Ford cargos are rot boxes , though on a plus note can change a clutch in one in about an HR ?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, sid g said:

just sell the lot move on the boat with what you need and don't have any baggage ..

That’s bloke logic and I would do in a moment mate but, getting the misses on board with my plans demands a bit of compromise, ?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Stoney100 said:

I already have a 3.5 t transit long wheel high top which will take a lot of stuff, have looked at a few horse box,s as when I,m all done and settled a nice old camper conversion on it would be my next move so when we come back to visit we still have somewhere to sleep ✌️✌️✌️

10 hours ago, Stoney100 said:

I already have a 3.5 t transit long wheel high top which will take a lot of stuff, have looked at a few horse box,s as when I,m all done and settled a nice old camper conversion on it would be my next move so when we come back to visit we still have somewhere to sleep ✌️✌️✌️

4 hours ago, Greyman said:

That’s bloke logic and I would do in a moment mate but, getting the misses on board with my plans demands a bit of compromise, ?

All you need on a boat is 2 coins on the eyes for the ferryman.?