• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You don't f*** about do you!

All guns are steel proof according to my rfd. It is only when you start using the high pressure stuff that a problem may arise and or more than half choke.

What, with your advancing years I thought large print would help!! 

Posted Images

I use an aya yeoman, choked half and full,  I use super steel, #3&4.. I also put homeloaded#b through it.... Also have an aya super solway, choked 3/4 in both, that gets the same shells through it, I shoot pretty much everyday of the season, so they had few put through them, barrels are fine.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, ianm said:

All guns are steel proof according to my rfd. It is only when you start using the high pressure stuff that a problem may arise and or more than half choke.

I read an Australian study on steel loads and they concluded that if steel were used in a non steel proved barrel of more than half choke it could result in a pressure ring at the point of choke. So by these results you could open out and hone / polish or buy a cheap side by side and carry on as you please. After all unless you start poking high power and large shot through it, test by tieing it to a work mate and use a bit of string for testing.

• Haha 1
31 minutes ago, Meece said:

I read an Australian study on steel loads and they concluded that if steel were used in a non steel proved barrel of more than half choke it could result in a pressure ring at the point of choke. So by these results you could open out and hone / polish or buy a cheap side by side and carry on as you please. After all unless you start poking high power and large shot through it, test by tieing it to a work mate and use a bit of string for testing.

I ain't tying it to a work mate....they are bigger than me !

4 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Ok so that's pretty close to half choke by my calcs.

The reamer is a friend's that he bought to open some chokes on a gun of his.

IMG_20190723_201214.jpg.71deb49c553b2c4f91b99872a5c7b588.jpg

You don't f*** about do you!

• Haha 4

For the amount you are likely to use doing a bit of rough shooting I would have just got a box of bismuth or tungsten matrix. Better performance and will not damage your gun . But too late now . ?? I don’t rate steel, it’s ok as long as you don’t stretch the range too much , but I’ve found tungsten and bismuth really good alternatives to lead .

6 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

For the amount you are likely to use doing a bit of rough shooting I would have just got a box of bismuth or tungsten matrix. Better performance and will not damage your gun . But too late now . ?? I don’t rate steel, it’s ok as long as you don’t stretch the range too much , but I’ve found tungsten and bismuth really good alternatives to lead .

I might do more than you think ?.

Steel is cheaper and so is my gun.

To use posh tart ammo through this single would be perverse! Lol.

To be honest though steel uses plastic wads and apart from our vegan friends and other eco warriors I don't like the fact I would be littering my beautiful countryside with it!

20 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

I agree, the amount of runners I’ve seen when they’ve been shot with steel. Also had teal revived half an hour after picking. Quack quack in the back of the truck?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 22/07/2019 at 20:16, BenBhoy said:

(Your posts are somewhat cryptic at best Bernardo..I said cryptic not vague!) 

For a moment I thought you said crispic:

1873201_1.jpg&f=1

Thought he'd gone Vegan.

• Haha 1

The whole nontoxic thing is perverse. There is no science or credible reason to have banned lead in the first place . Our representative body (BASC) rolled over and did nothing to help us keep lead . At the time of the ban I was a member of my local wildflowers and I tried all alternatives. Nothing kills like lead , but Tungsten is the best IMO . Maybe steel shot a has improved in the years since but I won’t use it now . 

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

The whole nontoxic thing is perverse. There is no science or credible reason to have banned lead in the first place . Our representative body (BASC) rolled over and did nothing to help us keep lead . At the time of the ban I was a member of my local wildflowers and I tried all alternatives. Nothing kills like lead , but Tungsten is the best IMO . Maybe steel shot a has improved in the years since but I won’t use it now . 

That was the time I ceased being a member!

Zinc was better than steel but that got banned. Tin the same.

The scientific tests involved force feeding ducks with shot so err yeah that'll do it!

It's an insult to ducks! Don't these experts realise a ducks bill and tongue is a very sensitive tool! It can pick and choose what it feeds on. Experts again, thanks a lot you idiots.

Fools.

3 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

To be honest the modern steel cartridges aren't bad at all especially the American ones. Our good friends across the pond won't put up with shit like we do. I have been using Remington sportsman three and a half inch for a fair few years now and they kill really well at good range. I know someone who only uses Eley lightning three inch steel for everything from partridge to geese and he has no problem at all.

17 minutes ago, ianm said:

To be honest the modern steel cartridges aren't bad at all especially the American ones. Our good friends across the pond won't put up with shit like we do. I have been using Remington sportsman three and a half inch for a fair few years now and they kill really well at good range. I know someone who only uses Eley lightning three inch steel for everything from partridge to geese and he has no problem at all.

I have heard that they have improved. They had to ! The ones I remember trying didn’t kill well at all, duck are hard enough to kill with lead , let alone steel . 

28 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

I have heard that they have improved. They had to ! The ones I remember trying didn’t kill well at all, duck are hard enough to kill with lead , let alone steel . 

Yes you are absolutely right, the first offerings from British cartridge manufacturers where abysmal to say the least. The performance in steel comes from the powder they use and they seem to have learnt that from the USA manufacturers. 

• Like 1