Scotland camping

7 hours ago, gaz said:

I think the fella above means The Caledonian Canal? Anyway back to a bit of camping in Gods Country,you can head just about anywhere here whether it be south,north,east or west you will find what you are after,sure the highlands get a lot of the publicity for obvious reasons but I wouldn't overlook the Borders or Dumfries and Galloway if you don't want the the long drive?...plus it wont be as busy with the tourists at this time of the year.

The famous midge can be a bit of the pain in the arse but a mossie face net if their bad combined with one of the products over the counter like Smidge or the like will keep them at bay and shouldn't put that much of a dampener on your time up here,anyway its a small price to pay as you will prob agree when you get home,another thing to keep in mind depending where you end up the weather can turn in a blink of a eye pissing one minute and the sun beating down the next..,.infact theres a auld saying up here "if you don't like the weather in Scotland just hang around for half n hour" lol

Aye we have all four seasons in a day here on Lewis ?

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Gav said:

Aye we have all four seasons in a day here on Lewis ?

The daughter got caught in a bit of an un forecast storm in the North Sea before entering the Caledonian, they had nets over the beds to stop them being thrown out and a bucket each as it was to dangerous to go above deck, loved the never ending daylight at this time of the year and the midges have been forgotten already so I definitely would not let them put me off going ??

• Haha 1

Get yourself up the lakes. Near Keswick is a place called Grange. There's a good campsite called Hollows farm. Head to there and continue down the river and up the mountain a little and there is a cave. Or just hammock next to the river ;)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Greyman said:

The daughter got caught in a bit of an un forecast storm in the North Sea before entering the Caledonian, they had nets over the beds to stop them being thrown out and a bucket each as it was to dangerous to go above deck, loved the never ending daylight at this time of the year and the midges have been forgotten already so I definitely would not let them put me off going ??

We had a calmac ferry (Clansman) sailing to Iceland a few years ago for 14 hours it was that bad, I'm right up by the Butt of Lewis 58° North, its starting to get darkish around midnight for a couple of hours now, but solstice time is a pain, I much prefer winter when theres no heebeejeebies aboot, and the winds up to 160mph, I wonder why we have no trees ?

Edited by Gav
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, mushroom said:

Get yourself up the lakes. Near Keswick is a place called Grange. There's a good campsite called Hollows farm. Head to there and continue down the river and up the mountain a little and there is a cave. Or just hammock next to the river ;)

Must admit I used to love tramping around down that neck of the woods in the 70's ?

Edited by Gav
27 minutes ago, kinkell said:

Biting today

Bit too windy for them here today, we have the massive ones with psychedelic eyes, look like they're on acid.

cleg.jpg.14a8d56965bf31b5bee17a74223279c4.jpg

Edited by Gav