Scotland camping

Good luck with that idea ffs. I've one important suggestion. DEET. If you aren't covered on every inch of skin then you ain't gonna enjoy Scotland. Anywhere. The midges will boil your blood. Apart from that small detail, then anywhere is nice especially the Scottish Birders (where of course I come from). Get yourself camped up around Melrose (which has a renowned facility) enjoy the river Tweed, the Eildon hills and some of the best walking around. Next and most important, the pubs. Good beer, good company and good whatever takes your fancy. Jok.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ive only ever been there october time onwards early January ,and you still get bitten?stay away from camping next to  water ow?can feel them midges running over your cock when you have a piss?insect repellent is a must ?..........it's nice around aviemore, fort William,wick plenty of places to camp/rent and locals are friendly if you knock doors and ask for permission ??

I was planning a trip up there this summer but real life got in the way and I can't see it happening now. 

The kiwi friends of mine you met did the west coast 500 last season. Apparently it's a 500 route round all the best bits of the west coast. They absolutely loved it

I'll be very interested to hear how you get on. 

I used to stop here a lot. Near Newton Stewart. Woods, rope swing, coast across the road, pond with easy course fishing on site (free), pub on site, ruined castle, good sea fishing nearby, good lochs nearby, Wigton across the bay which had a fieldsports book shop, swimming pool on site, never daft busy or booked up

_20190721_181846.JPG

_20190721_181652.JPG

Screenshot_20190721-181536.png

My daughter just returned a week or so ago from a trip on a sailing ship down the Californian canal, scenery was pretty impressive but she was constantly spitting out midges while we had our evening FaceTime, would not let it put you off though plenty of deet or skin so soft, and some damp leaves on your fire at bedtime, reward is worth the payment ????

I think the fella above means The Caledonian Canal? Anyway back to a bit of camping in Gods Country,you can head just about anywhere here whether it be south,north,east or west you will find what you are after,sure the highlands get a lot of the publicity for obvious reasons but I wouldn't overlook the Borders or Dumfries and Galloway if you don't want the the long drive?...plus it wont be as busy with the tourists at this time of the year.

The famous midge can be a bit of the pain in the arse but a mossie face net if their bad combined with one of the products over the counter like Smidge or the like will keep them at bay and shouldn't put that much of a dampener on your time up here,anyway its a small price to pay as you will prob agree when you get home,another thing to keep in mind depending where you end up the weather can turn in a blink of a eye pissing one minute and the sun beating down the next..,.infact theres a auld saying up here "if you don't like the weather in Scotland just hang around for half n hour" lol

• Like 1