nets ..pegs and bands

thought some of you might like to see my way of attaching a band to a peg to keep your net neat and tidy.....now I cant claim total credit ...

a few years ago I was talking to leeview about the old way of putting rubber band over net ...then over your wrist when you set the net....like most of us I could never be doing with a wrist full of laggy bands ......but I always liked the idea of the nets being neat and tidy....

so over the years I tried a few things ..like attaching a band to a peg with a small screw and a washer....but that was a right faff....

any way after my chat with leeview ...we had a few days ferreting togeth later that year...and he very kindly had made me his take on the band attached to the peg......what a simple but effective idea it is......and heres a pic....just a slot with a saw to a hole and I thick band from an inertube...simmples....

now as much as these are great hardwood oak pegs......I have personal faveroute peg....they are red nylon and they can  bend slightly ....I know I'm being picky cos it don't really matter what the peg is.....so long as it anchors the net.....now these nylon nets are thin...and no way of doing the slot and hole for the band.....so I have done this.....another hole drilled threw the peg under the draw cord hole....push the inertube made band threw....tie I hitch in one end.....the band stays in place cos its quite thick in the small hole....

heres a few pics of both pegs nets and bands....

E6148CC3-EE06-4B8E-ABBE-D459CC3B3BCE.jpeg

F8E850E9-363F-4EDD-B972-0F708A0530B9.jpeg

E8EFCBC0-7B34-46D9-A7E6-07C910BAC9B8.jpeg

Edited by TOMO
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, terryd said:

The bands round the wrist is a pain but it is handy for picking up to make sure you haven't left any behind

agreed...its a good idea for making sure you don't leave any......

1 hour ago, jok said:

Good question about the bendy pegs. Why ? They are very long and can't be much good on hard ground. Can't be better than a short hardwood peg. Just my opinion. Jok.

I don't think it makes any real difference to be fair.....I just think in my mind that bit of bend it preferable to being brittle .....as for hard ground its my opion there better ....believe it or not they go in very easy.....yeh 7.5 inch is long....and I did think about chopping and inch off but it made my toes curl....:D

• Haha 1

I like that ?especially cause some of my properties there’s a lot of walking between burrows and I keep my purse nets in my pack and don’t use them all so I can than keep the ones that don’t get used regularly down the bottom without tangling and most of the ground is sandy need to get some off those red pegs.cheers

Edited by garbs

I make my own nets and for a four foot net put 12 foot of drawcord on them , thats plenty enough to wrap round them and hold them , like you i wouldn't use elastic bands and carry them on my wrist some jobs my hand to my elbow would be solid with elastic band . if you count them out and count the nets in you shouldn't loose any but i often count then at lunchtime and close of play so if a nets missing you know where to look for it 

With colored spun nylon its certainly harder to loose a net but i favour brighter drawcord as if your not concentrating a rabbit back netting itself all youve got is a peg and a small amount of drawcord to see before it disappears down the burrow