FAC conversion dilemma

1 hour ago, villaman said:

This the Airgun section and not the bang , bang boys section , so let’s talk about air guns and not those shirt , noisy bang bag guns ?

What are you on about Mitch, you trying to tell us a 17HMR is quiet.......................................and I thought I was an old tart :yahoo:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No I bloody well will not , more chance of me turning into a  fcuking gay paki  c**t

Nothing wrong with 177 this was taken out with a hw100 at 72yrds head shot and good night lights out sub 12 i may add

The hw100 does not perform that good at fac levels, my advice would be keep it sub 12, or sell it & buy something more suitable to fac levels

Posted Images

19 hours ago, philpot said:

What are you on about Mitch, you trying to tell us a 17HMR is quiet.......................................and I thought I was an old tart :yahoo:

Yep but it doesn’t go bang , bang because they missed the first shot 

I hate the bang , bang guns

1 hour ago, villaman said:

Yep but it doesn’t go bang , bang because they missed the first shot 

I hate the bang , bang guns

Try clay shooting, a whole different ball game and great sport. I use the shotgun so rarely for live shooting although I do enjoy shooting over decoys but that is not for here.

10 hours ago, philpot said:

Try clay shooting, a whole different ball game and great sport. I use the shotgun so rarely for live shooting although I do enjoy shooting over decoys but that is not for here.

Use to do a few clays in my early twenties Phil :thumbs:

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

With regards to the falcon, you will find that your shot count will be limited with the low air volume of the presure vesel and lack of regulator. Ok if you are just popping off a few rabbits but a bit inconvenient if clearing sheds of pigeon's. 

Just something to consider. 

• 3 weeks later...

I still say as ever before. Just as a cautionary note.

FAC air is at its best when used at normal 25 to 50 metre air rifle hunting ranges. Use the advantage of faster pellet speed to humanely kill your rabbit or squirrel faster than they can react and bolt out of the way. 50 metres range is still a hell of a way off to accurately whack a rabbit's head through its brain. 

I have a beautiful Wiehrauch HW80 .22 on my licence that gets the job done out to 60 yards and further without having to do too much holdover estimating.  I have been shooting with it for 22 years regularly so I know her capabilities well, as well as mine. And what we cannot do. At least I don't need to refill it after 20 shots!

Do not make the mistake that many make, in thinking that an FAC rated air rifle will solve accuracy problems at long ranges. 

If you need to be shooting to long ranges of 70 yards and further, you would honestly be better off buying a .22 LR or 17HMR. than devaluing a really lovely air rifle. 

Best regards.

Simon.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 28/01/2020 at 19:41, pianoman said:

I still say as ever before. Just as a cautionary note.

FAC air is at its best when used at normal 25 to 50 metre air rifle hunting ranges. Use the advantage of faster pellet speed to humanely kill your rabbit or squirrel faster than they can react and bolt out of the way. 50 metres range is still a hell of a way off to accurately whack a rabbit's head through its brain. 

I have a beautiful Wiehrauch HW80 .22 on my licence that gets the job done out to 60 yards and further without having to do too much holdover estimating.  I have been shooting with it for 22 years regularly so I know her capabilities well, as well as mine. And what we cannot do. At least I don't need to refill it after 20 shots!

Do not make the mistake that many make, in thinking that an FAC rated air rifle will solve accuracy problems at long ranges. 

If you need to be shooting to long ranges of 70 yards and further, you would honestly be better off buying a .22 LR or 17HMR. than devaluing a really lovely air rifle. 

Best regards.

Simon.

Simon , both of my FX crown .22 and .25 will match .22 lr for accuracy and taking down rabbits at 100+ yards shooting slugs . In .22 and 34 gr pellets .25 

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, villaman said:

Simon , both of my FX crown .22 and .25 will match .22 lr for accuracy and taking down rabbits at 100+ yards shooting slugs . In .22 and 34 gr pellets .25 

Ace shooting Mitch. But FAC air comes in differing levels of power output to powder burning .22 LR ammo. But if you have the skills and the rifle and pellet you shoot with are up to the task, knock yourself out. Each to his capabilities mate. 

Never shot with FAC .25. Sounds devastating on rabbits at decent ranges. 

Best regards 

Simon.

• Like 2

Taking nothing away from those who shoot F.A.C. air, my "personal choice" is to take up the challenge of learning field craft to get within air rifle ranges, that's the bit that " floats my boat" and gives me the rush.

Building the shot with a spring rifle gives me a far greater sense of achievement than shooting with any pcp as I have long felt as though I am somehow cheating with a pcp of any power as they bridge all that's required of a decent shooter.

As I write, I am waiting for a MK1 HW eighty .22 cal` to be delivered,- now that will test its users shooting abilities and fieldcraft.

No disrespect meant or intended to any shooting disciplines. :angel: :laugh:

atb. Mark.

• Like 3