Specimen perch

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is one I had last night. I've been trying to get a 2lb perch for about 3 years now. Waters are few and far between here in Wales. I was shared a place by someone I know who told me to keep the se

Who’s had any nice stripies I’ll start 

A few from the SW

Posted Images

This stripey returns to the same spot each winter out of 300 boats here he sits under the rudder of this one with several smaller specimens, the rudder is about 18” along the bottom edge and the perch is probably another 2ft down, estimate he’s somewhere between 4/5lb 

B96FE170-A3A9-46D5-AE94-B8104A956267.jpeg

Edited by Greyman
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Greyman said:

This stripey returns to the same spot each winter out of 300 boats here he sits under the rudder of this one with several smaller specimens, the rudder is about 18” along the bottom edge and the perch is probably another 2ft down, estimate he’s somewhere between 4/5lb 

B96FE170-A3A9-46D5-AE94-B8104A956267.jpeg

Get a big lobworm dropped in on his head and let have a proper look at it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Robbusher said:

Get a big lobworm dropped in on his head and let have a proper look at it?

My boy has a minnow trap out at the moment, it don’t flinch at worms or maggots tried dropshotting little rubber fish but nothing so we are down to livebaiting recon he’ll have it pretty quick trouble is he always has a couple of slightly smaller ones with him ?

80FA9134-87AE-45ED-9BA3-113D77302BB3.png

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Greyman said:

My boy has a minnow trap out at the moment, it don’t flinch at worms or maggots tried dropshotting little rubber fish but nothing so we are down to livebaiting recon he’ll have it pretty quick trouble is he always has a couple of slightly smaller ones with him ?

80FA9134-87AE-45ED-9BA3-113D77302BB3.png

If he wouldn't take a live bait it would eventually start getting to me....I'd end up buying a harpoon gun or a gill net ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Robbusher said:

Another one from fleet lane o Calder had plenty smaller but no pictures 2lb15 this one

1E71182B-9CBC-48D5-AE43-8EDE725DC0AF.jpeg

Saw a picture of a brace from that stretch from last year of one over 5 and one couple oz short of 5 so my target there is a 5lber hopefully 

• Like 1

Without trying to be boring or indeed a know all, I mentioned this subject a few years back. Stoney Cove in Leicestershire homes some of the biggest perch imaginable. I have dived there on hundreds of occasions and never marvelled at the size and colour of these fish. I think I’m correct in saying that Matt someone was invited to fish for them or the enormous pike for a TV program. When underwater everything, I’ll admit, takes on a bigger than average size. However, when diving, everything is relative and when going into a helicopter fuselage it becomes clear that these were no minnows. I wish you guys could see what’s down there because it would blow your minds. Jok.

17 minutes ago, jok said:

Without trying to be boring or indeed a know all, I mentioned this subject a few years back. Stoney Cove in Leicestershire homes some of the biggest perch imaginable. I have dived there on hundreds of occasions and never marvelled at the size and colour of these fish. I think I’m correct in saying that Matt someone was invited to fish for them or the enormous pike for a TV program. When underwater everything, I’ll admit, takes on a bigger than average size. However, when diving, everything is relative and when going into a helicopter fuselage it becomes clear that these were no minnows. I wish you guys could see what’s down there because it would blow your minds. Jok.

Years ago use to go to the pub there, order a plate of chips and go out onto the decking and chuck broken up chips down into the water for the roach, Under the roach shoals you could see big perch and massive pike. 

Yes the pike are truly enormous. As you look out from the decking, to the left, there is what we called the Spanish Galleon. The reason being that that there were loads of spurious gold coins on board. When we were teaching students, that was was one of their aims, to collect a doubloon. Anyway, back to the fish. It is very shallow in that area and they massed around there. When the students saw the size of the fish all thoughts of a faux coin went out of the window. Hell they were good days. Jok.

3 minutes ago, steve66 said:

What did it weigh Paulas , 2 .. 21/2 ?

No idea didn't weight it Lol to be honest that's an average stamp for there, the biggest i have had out of that place was 4lb 12oz