Specimen perch

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is one I had last night. I've been trying to get a 2lb perch for about 3 years now. Waters are few and far between here in Wales. I was shared a place by someone I know who told me to keep the se

Who’s had any nice stripies I’ll start 

A few from the SW

Posted Images

Just now, paulus said:

Perch on toat is very nice and Zander are beautiful to eat.  

Is that toast or toad? ?

They farm zander over here. All decent restaurants have it on the menu. We sometimes see pike to double figures on the fish counter in supermarkets. I'm trying to convince them to eat more carp,

• Haha 1
Just now, Nicepix said:

Is that toast or toad? ?

They farm zander over here. All decent restaurants have it on the menu. We sometimes see pike to double figures on the fish counter in supermarkets. I'm trying to convince them to eat more carp,

Years ago went to a very posh fish restaurant in Saltsburg, Tried carp, It wouldn't be on my menu at home that's for sure. ? 

5 minutes ago, paulus said:

Years ago went to a very posh fish restaurant in Saltsburg, Tried carp, It wouldn't be on my menu at home that's for sure. ? 

I have a 1/2lb crucian in the freezer to use for deadbait. I keep looking at it and thinking whether to try it myself.

The Dutch would keep carp alive in a wet sling hung in the basement for a week or so. They would feed it milk pobs to cleanse the flesh. My Dutch neighbour's elderly Dad still has one for Christmas day.  

Edited by Nicepix

Biggest perch I had was 3lbs 3oz It was in 1999 I remember as a 16 year old catching the Yorkshire coastliner bus to tadcaster bus station to get there. It was well before you could check the river levels online. I got there and it was flooded. I tried anyway as I'd made the 2 bus 2 hour  journey. I caught it in chocolate coloured water on double red maggot pretty much in the grass field and under my rod tip. I wasn't expecting anything, it was a big suprise. 

• Like 5
52 minutes ago, tomburras said:

Biggest perch I had was 3lbs 3oz It was in 1999 I remember as a 16 year old catching the Yorkshire coastliner bus to tadcaster bus station to get there. It was well before you could check the river levels online. I got there and it was flooded. I tried anyway as I'd made the 2 bus 2 hour  journey. I caught it in chocolate coloured water on double red maggot pretty much in the grass field and under my rod tip. I wasn't expecting anything, it was a big suprise. 

Great story Tom, stuff like that you remember for ever…sent you pm ?

• Like 1
11 hours ago, tomburras said:

Great capture and well worth your taking a chance  on the day.

Did you know about the Riverline recorded telephone information message? The information was on a recorded loop. You dialled the number then waited until it got round to the place you intended fishing. I was using that in the 1990s, possibly in the late 1970s, but can't be sure. 

1 hour ago, Nicepix said:

Great capture and well worth your taking a chance  on the day.

Did you know about the Riverline recorded telephone information message? The information was on a recorded loop. You dialled the number then waited until it got round to the place you intended fishing. I was using that in the 1990s, possibly in the late 1970s, but can't be sure. 

Hi no I never knew about that, sounded handy.

12 hours ago, tomburras said:

I remember in my youth catching the bus to the wharfe at Otley with a mate, didnt have licences or permits and my mate caught a massive brown trout.  Got back on the bus with it in a carrier bag and fishing rod and the bus driver asked us if we had caught anything.  My mate gets out the trout to show him at which point he gets out his water bailiffs badge :rtfm::whistling:

• Haha 3
3 minutes ago, bell said:

I remember in my youth catching the bus to the wharfe at Otley with a mate, didnt have licences or permits and my mate caught a massive brown trout.  Got back on the bus with it in a carrier bag and fishing rod and the bus driver asked us if we had caught anything.  My mate gets out the trout to show him at which point he gets out his water bailiffs badge :rtfm::whistling:

Oh dear lol. We used to catch the train to Hebden Bridge and bring the odd good fish back in carrier bags - lots of people asked if we caught anything we used to get them out and show them they where shocked. Good times.

Once me and a mate camped out night fishing as kids on sandy Bay at Tadcaster no day tickets we where so naive. In the morning we where woke up by a line of angry matchmen pulling trolleys - there was a match on and they where not impressed. 

• Haha 1

I used to travel from Barnsley to Collingham and Boston Spa on a Honda SS50 moped governed to 30mph top speed. Over 30 miles each way with a fishing basket, holdall, waders, big coat and enough food and drink for the day ?

The Riverline was very useful to avoid wasted journeys. I never did any good in flood water in those days. Talking of trout; way back in the 70's I was standing in the Wharfe near a small stream just downstream of the Spa Baths. A huge brown trout swam past me, within a couple of feet, and went up the stream. I turned to watch it and saw the trout go under a small waterfall at which point a dozen os so small roach scattered from under there. The trout then drifted back past me into the main river. 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Managed a couple hours after work yesterday had a few small perch a chub about 2 pounds and this little beauty speaking to a angler when got back to motor that targets perch in winter with prawns he showed me a decent photo of a brace he had in February of a 5lb 2 and a 4lb10 said it was biggest brace midfield had had this year out of calder 

0245972A-E3AE-42EB-ABFF-B600F328B020.jpeg

3C158BEA-0CC8-4910-9E3E-AB35C68DB059.jpeg

• Like 6
  • 2 months later...