Construction

10 hours ago, NEWKID said:

Its mad mate...I could be back to our old size tomorrow, f**k do I want it though!! Fingers in other pies luckily cause i really don't think this will last more than 2 years...

Was it you investing in clean diesel engine technology mate? How's that going?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

plenty of work about,pay rates are up ... but finding tidy lads that can do a   full week,not always on the phone,and dont sniff like scarface? are few and far between these days.... get sen

Young lads don’t want graft these days and the ones that turn up spend most of there time on their f***ing phones 

i see apprentices in most trades over here Len,sparks,plumbers the odd chippy....but not on the ground....depends on who you learn from and their work ethics imo these days.....if they not pushed and

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Born Hunter said:

Was it you investing in clean diesel engine technology mate? How's that going?

Yes that's right mate... it's really good, certainly been an eye opener to the political game playing around clean air!

• Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Pal of mine owns a scaffolding firm that have moved to 3 bigger yards over the last 5 years,in that time his workforce went from 5 to 15.

Had an interest in a scaffold business for the last few years (helping a mate out really)...stepping away from it now...he had 50 odd on the books at one point, it was a proper mess as half the blokes were wasters...its a bit smaller now...easily managed...but still not for me..

1 hour ago, tandors said:

Such a shame when all the buildings getting thrown up are ugly metal and glass things.

You don't find many traditional built commercial buildings....I tend to agree though more on the modern methods of quick house building...chuck them up quick crap...there are some quality steel and glass types homes along the coast down here, they suit the position imo....

I've foolishly brought a very old place to renovate....traditional building practices are a complete pain in the ass!! Lol

4 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Had an interest in a scaffold business for the last few years (helping a mate out really)...stepping away from it now...he had 50 odd on the books at one point, it was a proper mess as half the blokes were wasters...its a bit smaller now...easily managed...but still not for me..

This was just a small business so he could get his sons a decent start they were just coasting along then 4 or 5 years ago bang everything just took off.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, gnasher16 said:

This was just a small business so he could get his sons a decent start they were just coasting along then 4 or 5 years ago bang everything just took off.

Great stuff...hope it keeps going well for them..

plenty of work about,pay rates are up ...

but finding tidy lads that can do a   full week,not always on the phone,and dont sniff like scarface? are few and far between these days....

get sent gangs of agency  lads on tidy rates supposed to do this and that....1/2 days later you end up f***ing them off because they end up costing you time and money putting shit right after them?

• Like 5

Started our electrical business in April been crazy ever since , building and construction is crazy right now ! We are planning on staying small and maybe subbing abit out don’t need the hassle of people on the books 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

plenty of work about,pay rates are up ...

but finding tidy lads that can do a   full week,not always on the phone,and dont sniff like scarface? are few and far between these days....

get sent gangs of agency  lads on tidy rates supposed to do this and that....1/2 days later you end up f***ing them off because they end up costing you time and money putting shit right after them?

I know exactly how you feel dc, I’ve spent 8 months fixing shite work on new build timber frame houses other lads left as done, what’s the rates for joiners over your way these days?

1 hour ago, Lenmcharristar said:

I know exactly how you feel dc, I’ve spent 8 months fixing shite work on new build timber frame houses other lads left as done, what’s the rates for joiners over your way these days?

depends Len,I've not been shop based for probably 18 yrs...was on £16 per hr I think,last time i was on the bench...left and went self employed subbing to a shopfitting firm my dad was contracts manager for.£28 per hr but it was all night work and working away for 10/12 weeks a time?I did that for nearly 10 yrs and f****d it off when I settled down and had kids....i work for a ground works company now,shuttering,steel fixing,deep drainage etc.got a van,fuel card payed holidays and I'm in the house by 5:30 every day,money's not bad we get by.im mostly out on the road ,van,digger and go from site to site snagging other folks f**k ups ....next week I'm down in the roads on a harness and tripod busting out foul manhole spurs where the joints have cracked and holding human shit?

I been doing loads of freebies on directors homes last few months as thank yous for giving us various housing contracts around Wales,Bristol and the south west,redrow, linden homes,Barrett etc....prefere it to site work everyday?20190701_122911.jpg.6ce1969f70e8587de761e53067451133.jpg20190628_111438.jpg.dd7361a8982b54aeb32f1ba36b965f92.jpgIMG_20190620_131243_902.jpg.b2c097ec37d998eb7ada00ec06cee265.jpgIMG_20190622_141127_294.jpg.852a917f613b2baa813c13e2052e5ecf.jpg

• Like 3

That 16 ph you earned on the bench yrs ago is a rate we get over here today fs, now 28 that’s what I’d like, we get more from our own work but the the main contractors over here are tighter than a camels arse in a sand storm. And the cost of living isn’t too bad over here either, we get 20-23 nights on a fit out. 

Tidy job that mate I’m like u got own van fuel card don’t start while half 7 home for half 4  usually in a digger now until there any technical stuff to do i let the young uns do all the breaking out and the hard labour now wrists and hands r f****d now atb longers01