Ok 

new to me ammo for 243 

whats a factory round for all round shooting thinking of Hornday v max as there great in my 233 what you lads using and I know your going to say what shoots the best group , but I’ve got to start somewhere 

atb 

If your loaded don't worry about it but if your like me a true Staffordshire lad and a tight wad try PPU or S&B.

I reloaded all my .243 ammo from the get go. Mostly on lovely 4350, a case full of that forgiving stuff just worked brilliant.

2 hours ago, David.evans said:

Ok 

new to me ammo for 243 

whats a factory round for all round shooting thinking of Hornday v max as there great in my 233 what you lads using and I know your going to say what shoots the best group , but I’ve got to start somewhere 

atb 

Like  people,  guns are different and like different ammo. First there is no magic silver bullet or brand. It depends on what the target object is.  Paper, or Fox or deer. I've seen guns that will shoot a brand onto a 10p piece at 100 and another gun struggle to put the same ammo onto a dustbin lid. that's why I  reload.  every type of round is tailored to the job it has to do. EG, you wouldn't use a JCB to get your shopping from Tesco or a London bus to plough a field. Do you follow? 

I should of mentioned that these are what sako use for the testing of sako and tikka rifles, no doubt you may find something better but they are a good place to start, they also do a nice 100 grain deer cartridge ?

• Like 3

Me uses Hornady Whitetail at the minute ,my old P/H Safari 1200 loves them ,it also likes Geco 105gr and Winchester but hates with a vengance ppu which is a shame as they are cheap as chips .Also had 1 box of Sako ok but not amazeballs atb 

4 hours ago, Baldcoot said:

Me uses Hornady Whitetail at the minute ,my old P/H Safari 1200 loves them ,it also likes Geco 105gr and Winchester but hates with a vengance ppu which is a shame as they are cheap as chips .Also had 1 box of Sako ok but not amazeballs atb 

Nice rifles they were.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, David.evans said:

your having a laugh Dave (walshie ) i wouldnt know where to start lol

id blow my self up lol

atb

Nah. Singed eyebrows, permanent deafness, blind in one eye and I'm still here. :laugh:

Like Stavross said Sako are a decent factory load . I always swore by them . But factory ammo is expensive and not as good as home loads. The initial expenditure on all the kit is a lot , and it will probably take me years to reap any financial benefit. I got second hand bits and bobs off eBay . RCBS is a good name to look out for . I watched a load of videos on YouTube and went over to a friends house and went through the process on his kit as well . It’s not the dark art some would have you believe, it’s actually easy , and if I can do it , anybody can do it . I have had excellent results, when I compare the stuff I load to factory ammo . My next project it to develop/ play around with .243 ammo for my new Tikka . Any suggestions for bullets and powder will be greatly appreciated . Be careful though David , it’s more addictive than crack cocain , my wife will often find me pouring over my reloading manual , instead of listening to her talking about her day , “ erm , what was that ? Yes dear “. 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

If your loaded don't worry about it but if your like me a true Staffordshire lad and a tight wad try PPU or S&B.

I reloaded all my .243 ammo from the get go. Mostly on lovely 4350, a case full of that forgiving stuff just worked brilliant.

For field use I do not need single hole groups, PPU (PRVI) SP delivers 1" in my .223, .243 and .308, terminal effect is just fine as well, that does for me.

Check weight as well, 90g seems to have the edge over 100g in my .243.

:thumbs:

• Like 2