10 hours ago, South hams hunter said:

Cheers fl, yeah they go like f**k and fight right to the net. 

Only issue I've had with mackerel is it attracts crab 

I’m don’t mean chum for them. Just a couple of mackerel fillets smushed in with a couple of loaves of bread will do. 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a few hours out last night mulleting, managed to get 4 between us. Mine went 3lb 3, one lad had a 1lb 15 and my other mate had a 2lb 15 and a 4lb 2. Cracking fighting fish and all in really good c

I've got two (Mitchell Match reels) and still have my bollox ? The one in the photo was given to me by a friend who had bought it new. I got another off fleabay. Back in 'the day' I had a Mi

Out now actually fm, just had my new pb 3lb 11oz 

Posted Images

7 hours ago, The Fishlocker said:

I’m don’t mean chum for them. Just a couple of mackerel fillets smushed in with a couple of loaves of bread will do. 

No I knew what you meant bud, just find it attracts crab. Will do in the autumn months when crab level is less but this time if year you'd attract hundreds imo. All different methods thoughthat work for us 

• Like 1

Some of the best fishing and biggest Mullet I've had is using sprat fillet by far the best bait in salt water, free lining or float fishing. Ground bait is fish skins and frames but they have to be tried to a stone to stop the mullet lifting them and drifting off in the tide.

In brackish water ie like up at Totnes I used bread flake over bread / bran ground bait, the bran sparkles as it drops through the water. A little trick worth a try is float fishing with two traces tried to a single swivel one three inches shorter then the other bit like a wish bone but no beads, often get a fish on the drop. The two bait dropping seem to fool them better than one.

In Alderney they use Pork cubes for bait and chervie (if that's the right spelling, their name for rubbie dubbie or chum) of minced pork and sea water mixed till it's like soup. Very affective not only did we get Mullet but had a 4lb Black Bream on it. I never even tried it back on the main land.

Cheers Arry

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Arry said:

Some of the best fishing and biggest Mullet I've had is using sprat fillet by far the best bait in salt water, free lining or float fishing. Ground bait is fish skins and frames but they have to be tried to a stone to stop the mullet lifting them and drifting off in the tide.

In brackish water ie like up at Totnes I used bread flake over bread / bran ground bait, the bran sparkles as it drops through the water. A little trick worth a try is float fishing with two traces tried to a single swivel one three inches shorter then the other bit like a wish bone but no beads, often get a fish on the drop. The two bait dropping seem to fool them better than one.

In Alderney they use Pork cubes for bait and chervie (if that's the right spelling, their name for rubbie dubbie or chum) of minced pork and sea water mixed till it's like soup. Very affective not only did we get Mullet but had a 4lb Black Bream on it. I never even tried it back on the main land.

Cheers Arry

By saltwater do you mean open coast or including the harbour? 

I won't float fish for em, tries my patience too much? 

May try the pork in the harbour 

On 22/07/2019 at 18:01, Nicepix said:

I used to cut the crusts off a cheap white sliced loaf, freeze it and then put the slices in a blender then add a little powdered milk to make a cloud. The blended bread gets them interested and a piece of artificial bread on a 12 hook was the best bait. I fished it about 12" under a simple quill float and if there where weed rafts about I'd cast the float beyond the raft then draw it back so the float laid on top of the weed and the bread bait was hanging a few inches below the weed.

Mullet.jpg.64da0a9d3f98c6de65dc22cf449f8874.jpg

That was from Cleethorpes, Lincs. I've had bigger ones in harbours in Cyprus when night fishing, but the ones in France I've found only go about half this size.

Split cane rod and a Mitchell match, proper old school, nice one bud.

• Like 1
Just now, stumfelter said:

Split cane rod and a Mitchell match, proper old school, nice one bud.

Thanks.

I had a Trudex centrepin on when I started fishing. While waiting for the mullet to come in on the tide I had been trotting for roach and it got too blustery for long casting with the 'pin so I put the fixed spool reel on.  Normally I use the Trudex as the mullet are generally very close in.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Nicepix said:

Thanks.

I had a Trudex centrepin on when I started fishing. While waiting for the mullet to come in on the tide I had been trotting for roach and it got too blustery for long casting with the 'pin so I put the fixed spool reel on.  Normally I use the Trudex as the mullet are generally very close in.

All I could afford as a kid was a black prince reel and a solid fibreglass rod, I'd have given my left b*llock for a Mitchell match!  ??

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, stumfelter said:

All I could afford as a kid was a black prince reel and a solid fibreglass rod, I'd have given my left b*llock for a Mitchell match!  ??

I've got two (Mitchell Match reels) and still have my bollox ?

The one in the photo was given to me by a friend who had bought it new. I got another off fleabay.

Back in 'the day' I had a Mitchell 300 and ABU506 bought with the wages from a paper round and a Saturday job at Currys. When I finished on Saturday I would run up to the fishing tackle shop and hand over most of my wages. Once I had enough money on my card I used it to buy something like an ABU Ferralite Mk. 6 match rod or Ernie Stamford swing tip rod, or one of those reels.

The reel I dreamed of as a kid, but never owned until I was in my fifties was a Match Aerial.

• Like 4
43 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

By saltwater do you mean open coast or including the harbour? 

I won't float fish for em, tries my patience too much? 

May try the pork in the harbour 

Yes mate harbours and part way up the rivers. Open coast.

The most enjoyable way to fish imo is free line over the weed on a flood tide so your bait is hanging just over the outside line of weed (if you get what I mean) but not on the bottom, works really well in the Salcombe estuary mate. Had some crackers there over 6lb. Sprat fillet mate top bait by a country mile, start with the tail end stitch the hook in and out to the head end of the fillet till the hook is clear, then pinch finger and thumb above the fillet slide down towards the hook and you should have a ball of sprat on the hook.

Hope you get were in coming from.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
1 hour ago, South hams hunter said:

Ffs Arry I'm going to have to source a few kilos of sprat now ? will frozen do? May try and empty the harbour if what's in there 

Honest mate you don't need many imo they are the best bait, I'm only trying to help. I've had really good results I'm getting on now and don't go much these days. I promise you I was a well known angler and only trying to help.

Frozen is okay but as all frozen goes soft. Pilchards are just as good and saw them in Morrisons last week.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

I know your helping mate and that's why I said ffs because I'm going to have to do it and they're in the harbour atm sprats so I'll just get a few out first to use as bait

13 hours ago, Arry said:

Honest mate you don't need many imo they are the best bait, I'm only trying to help. I've had really good results I'm getting on now and don't go much these days. I promise you I was a well known angler and only trying to help.

Frozen is okay but as all frozen goes soft. Pilchards are just as good and saw them in Morrisons last week.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

I know your helping mate and that's why I said ffs because I'm going to have to do it and they're in the harbour atm sprats so I'll just get a few out first to use as bait

We used to scrounge a bucket full off boats that were landing them.

Incidentally if you're ever at Teignmouth when they are landing or after the boat has left the little jetty. If you fish on the bottom the flounders take sprat fillets and often good ones.

Cheers Arry

2 hours ago, South hams hunter said:

We just normally use crab for Teignmouth, may take a few sprat to the flounder comp this year ?

No No mate only when they are landing sprats on the wooden jetty mate, You fish right underneath or just off the end of jetty really close in. 

Crab is the bait for the flounder comp, but been shit for a few years now. Heard the have been trawling them up for crab bait. Also there is loads of Seals getting about them buggers love the Flounders and Salmon.

Cheers Arry

• Like 2