Hot weather exercise.

5 hours ago, poxon said:

Back to the hot weather exercise =

At this time of year not a lot  keep dogs well watered and shaded evening distance walk across country if they get there selfs a run if it presents its self so be it I get down to a few brooks I change walk routes regularly so I can check land out this time of year is boring as shit with fields full of crops and walking routes over grown 

Same as you mate,going out early or late when it's cooler and walk the brooks ,

my dogs get the odd run if they push something up 

• Like 1

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Was a hot one here today so we went down to the river. Dogs were loving it and got plenty of swimming in. Good exercise for them this time of year. Kids had their weekly bath too.  

Couple of times a week galloping on the beach, couple of runs, free running for a large part   Along with twice a day gallops around the feild with a mooch through the wood keeps em fi

It's a hard life in Devon.     

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, C.green said:

Dont really understand that bit about running doubled arnt trying to catch it ? The only time ive ran doubled up in my life is if there is a couple runs about was desperate to get something on a shit night or for things a single dog would find hard to handle. Never heard anyone slip double or single then whinge the dog killed.

was you that said on another thread that we were not coursing we were killing, and double coursing was sport not killing, so just being sarcastic,lol

3 minutes ago, two crows said:

was you that said on another thread that we were not coursing we were killing, and double coursing was sport not killing, so just being sarcastic,lol

Nah ive said to ya before i dont like a dog that overuns stuff i like sommat thats trying to kill rather than waiting for mistakes.

When you go out regularly and see alot of dogs run and you can actually see whats going on between dog and qaurry i seen alot of dogs especially those that carry loads of saluki they will wait for mistakes kill stuff couple fields from where they was slipped things like that. When youve seen the real good dogs make it look easy these dogs that overun and wait for mistakes just wont cut it for you.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, two crows said:

i was not gong to comment, but I cant help it, we must remember that the double handed boys are not  trying to catch one, just chase it, because they are proper sportsmen, and us single handed men are only interested in killing every thing that moves, I don't watch the clips any more cos they are crap, the heat don't matter if the dogs are watered proper, and their feet are  good, when I was a lad I ran all year if I could find somewhere short, and dogs were ok, nowadays its to hot or to hard in September and October even if you wanted to have a run to risk the dog, yet they would I am sure cope well enough, speed is only a small part in the makeup of a coursing dog, I have in my time seen one or two ok dogs, and the fastest are seldom the best, imho. do the hares in spain have a breading season or does the climate mean they bread all year.

I thought the only difference was that a single is competing against the hare whereas double compete against each other.

My bitch started in comps doubled then ran alone, she runs a lot different now than then, I looks like she's concentrating on the hare rather than looking to beat the other dog to the strike. Perhaps if she ran with a dog she knew she would cooperate but sight hounds tend to be jealous of the catch.

No videos give a real picture but interesting to compare. 

Hares in Spain have the same breeding season as here and climate varies from cold mountain to baking plain. The competitive coursers are pretty level but the working type varies to the terrain. Stayers for the massive central plains, shorter more muscular for running in the olive groves etc and in rough and smooth coats. My bitch is coursing bred but the the pup is sired by a courser but out of a working line and you can see the difference. ?

Edited by sandymere
16 minutes ago, two crows said:

I haven't seen every dog run, which dogs style do you like that others may have seen run on video etc

Cant say i watch many videos of dogs running hares. Can get boring enough seeing it in the flesh wintertime lol theres a little fawn bitch i know a few have seen a video of trying her hare when she can and some of the bits ive seen of that lucky dog he looked to try When he was fresh but as i say not mad on watching hare running footage.

Edited by C.green
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, sandymere said:

I thought the only difference was that a single is competing against the hare whereas double compete against each other. My bitch started in comps doubled then ran alone, she runs a lot different now than then, I looks like she's concentrating on the hare rather than looking to beat the other dog to the strike. Perhaps if she ran with a dog she knew she would cooperate but sight hounds tend to be jealous of the catch. Hares in Spain have the same breeding season as here and climate varies from cold mountain to baking plain. The competitive coursers are pretty level but the working type varies to the terrain. Stayers for the massive central plains, shorter more muscular for running in the olive groves etc and in rough and smooth coats. My bitch is coursing bred the pup is sired by a courser but out of a working line and you can see the difference. ?

so they also have lurcher types then, I wonder what gave them the rough coated ones.

6 minutes ago, C.green said:

Cant say i watch many videos of dogs running hares. Can get boring enough seeing it in the flesh wintertime lol theres a little fawn bitch i know a few have seen a video of trying her hare when she can and some of the bits ive seen of that lucky dog he looked to try where he could but as i say not mad on watching hare running footage.

I don't watch many clips either, but I never tire of watching a good dog run, and have owned quite a few good dogs that get the job done as soon as, but they still can meet a rely good hare and may appear to be over running things to the inexperienced.

8 minutes ago, two crows said:

so they also have lurcher types then, I wonder what gave them the rough coated ones.

Recent genetic studies show they are and ancient breed like the saluki etc, indeed they share genes with the sloughi, so rough likely developed in the mountains  to suit the terrain. 

1 minute ago, two crows said:

I don't watch many clips either, but I never tire of watching a good dog run, and have owned quite a few good dogs that get the job done as soon as, but they still can meet a rely good hare and may appear to be over running things to the inexperienced.

You can only judge a good hare deer or whatever by the dog running it. Shit dogs will make average hares look good.

34 minutes ago, C.green said:

You can only judge a good hare deer or whatever by the dog running it. Shit dogs will make average hares look good.

I beg your pardon, how then do we know what we are watching, a good dog, or a shit hare, or vice versa.