Harry Maguire to United for £80 million

3 hours ago, WILF said:

I think that’s a serious declaration of intent and a massive marker to say that United are still the biggest club in England mate.

There was all the talk of him being linked to a move to city so for him to go to United when all the buzz is about City speaks volumes to me.

Ole obviously has a plan and Harry has liked what he has been told.

You are still that most embarrassing of creatures (a southern United fan ! Lol) but I think that’s a big deal for you club ;) 

Sound like my kids, they think I'm an embarrassing creature lol...

Liverpool showed the importance of a "proper" centre back last season, Van Dyk was outstanding, a real presence all over the pitch to be honest...is Maguire that man? Maybe...hes big and strong, decent with his feet, will be a nuisance at set plays and get vital goals, sort of defender that will chip in with half a dozen goals a season.... hes a had a few good seasons now and is mature and certainly ready for what is a step up (regardless of recent years, UTD are a massive club...and that's not using Victorian stats lol)....

Shaw was massively improved last year at left back, but the other centre backs need loads of work...Lindeloff looks weak, Bailly needs to stay on his feet (his tackling is horrendous at times!)..

Then you have Jones, time to give up now...Smalling...well 1 in 5 games ain't good enough ..

Young has been great filling in at full back at the end of his career, but hes getting found out regularly now....are Dalot and Darmian going to step up as full.backs? Well the best sides play with really attacking wing backs, look at Kyle Walker, Robertson, Trent-Arnold...etc etc... will.these younger lads step up ?

It's all over the park.though mate, midfield is weak, Rashford has to step.up and become.a 20 goal a season forward this year, Lukaku the same...

It's a huge job, UTD won't compete for a few years imo.. Stewies barbed comment playing for 3rd is unfortunately correct...

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's an improvement on what they've got ,but he's no Rodwell orCattermole .

How ironic, a Liverpool fan from Derby arguing football with a United fan from Exeter....... ? Cheers, D.

Sound like my kids, they think I'm an embarrassing creature lol... Liverpool showed the importance of a "proper" centre back last season, Van Dyk was outstanding, a real presence all over the pit

1 hour ago, NEWKID said:

Liverpool showed the importance of a "proper" centre back last season, Van Dyk was outstanding, a real presence all over the pitch to be honest...is Maguire that man? Maybe...hes big and strong, decent with his feet, will be a nuisance at set plays and get vital goals, sort of defender that will chip in with half a dozen goals a season.... hes a had a few good seasons now and is mature and certainly ready for what is a step up (regardless of recent years, UTD are a massive club...and that's not using Victorian stats lol)....

Shaw was massively improved last year at left back, but the other centre backs need loads of work...Lindeloff looks weak, Bailly needs to stay on his feet (his tackling is horrendous at times!)..

Then you have Jones, time to give up now...Smalling...well 1 in 5 games ain't good enough ..

Young has been great filling in at full back at the end of his career, but hes getting found out regularly now....are Dalot and Darmian going to step up as full.backs? Well the best sides play with really attacking wing backs, look at Kyle Walker, Robertson, Trent-Arnold...etc etc... will.these younger lads step up ?

It's all over the park.though mate, midfield is weak, Rashford has to step.up and become.a 20 goal a season forward this year, Lukaku the same...

It's a huge job, UTD won't compete for a few years imo.. Stewies barbed comment playing for 3rd is unfortunately correct...

"Liverpool showed the importance of a "proper" centre back last season, Van Dyk was outstanding, a real presence all over the pitch to be honest...is Maguire that man? "

In a word; No

VVD organises and bosses the players around him like a rampant pit-bull. Maguire is more Sgt. Wilson. Traore is supposed to be fast. He pushed the ball past VVD and sprinted after it. VVD turned 180 degrees and beat him to it. Maguire hasn't got the speed of thought let alone speed over the ground.

But it isn't all about VVD. Allison made a mega impact on Pool's defence too. Between them they almost won the PL.

Maguire's purchase is all about steadying the ship. Woodentop and Mou  bought some expensive failures in defence. They now need proven PL defenders to plug the leaks. No room for risk taking.

• Thanks 1

Im not sure about Maguire he,s decent but if/when Utd get back into Champions League football i cant see him coping too well with nippy little forwards like Suarez or Messi he,s not the quickest over 5 yards id imagine they,ll turn him inside out....reminds me of Tony Adams to be honest,not that Adams wasnt a good player but just old fashioned stoppers who will do a job at set pieces i thought the game had moved on from them type of centre backs.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, NEWKID said:

I’ll take that mate lol but comparing maguire to Virgil is akin to comparing Ali to fury or Joshua......different levels never mind league! 

• Haha 1

The best thing that Mou did was to get rid of Rooney. He was toxic. He was on a massive wage and playing like a donkey. As soon as Rooney was shifted out of the door things picked up. Then the clown brought Sanchez in and they now have exactly the same problem.

But Woodentop and Mou in the transfer market were like a couple of kids in a sweet shop. They bought absolute rubbish and then wanted Daddy to buy them new ones to replace the schit they'd spent £millions on.  It will take Manure at least three years to undo the bad work of Mourinho and LVG. Fortunately they have some good youngsters coming through. Mou didn't manage to totally wreck the youth policy like he did everywhere else.

I didn't know much about Moyes until I read a book called 'The Nowhere Men' that is about football scouts. Brilliant read and part of it was about Moyes time at Everton. It showed him to be a very, very good manager with limited funds and little to lure the up and coming stars to join. I was impressed by how he worked. Then of course he joined the biggest club in the world and it all went pear-shaped.

Well, actually it went pear-shaped before that when he joined Manure, but it didn't get much better at Sunderland

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Im not sure about Maguire he,s decent but if/when Utd get back into Champions League football i cant see him coping too well with nippy little forwards like Suarez or Messi he,s not the quickest over 5 yards id imagine they,ll turn him inside out....reminds me of Tony Adams to be honest,not that Adams wasnt a good player but just old fashioned stoppers who will do a job at set pieces i thought the game had moved on from them type of centre backs.

I’m going to reserve judgement for a minute mate and see what Ole has in mind......you have seen with that little prick Sterling that it just takes a manager who knows how he wants a player to play and can see it in them to totally change a player from ordinary to fantastic.

I could of course be totally wrong and it’s like the other bloke said, Pep has pulled a fast one and Unt has landed just another player.

14 minutes ago, WILF said:

I’m going to reserve judgement for a minute mate and see what Ole has in mind......you have seen with that little prick Sterling that it just takes a manager who knows how he wants a player to play and can see it in them to totally change a player from ordinary to fantastic.

I could of course be totally wrong and it’s like the other bloke said, Pep has pulled a fast one and Unt has landed just another player.

Pep isn't that smart. How much did he pay for Stones?  ?

• Like 1

Utd are years away from city or Liverpool but judging by ole record in the last few months of the season is he the man to pull it round I doubt it he doesn't seem to have what klopp or pep have and given pogba attitude I think it's going to be a hard season lucky to finish 5 th 

Edited by Blackmag
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Stoney100 said:

I’ll take that mate lol but comparing maguire to Virgil is akin to comparing Ali to fury or Joshua......different levels never mind league! 

Not how I meant it mate, but no one knew how good Van Dyk was until last season, he was always a very real prospect, but moving to Liverpool made a huge difference...I just think Maguire is a good player, the sort of defender I like and maybe the step up to a big club will be good for him.and Utd.... as a big of an impact as Virgil?.I very much doubt it but a similar signing for similar reasons

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Nicepix said:

"Liverpool showed the importance of a "proper" centre back last season, Van Dyk was outstanding, a real presence all over the pitch to be honest...is Maguire that man? "

In a word; No

VVD organises and bosses the players around him like a rampant pit-bull. Maguire is more Sgt. Wilson. Traore is supposed to be fast. He pushed the ball past VVD and sprinted after it. VVD turned 180 degrees and beat him to it. Maguire hasn't got the speed of thought let alone speed over the ground.

But it isn't all about VVD. Allison made a mega impact on Pool's defence too. Between them they almost won the PL.

Maguire's purchase is all about steadying the ship. Woodentop and Mou  bought some expensive failures in defence. They now need proven PL defenders to plug the leaks. No room for risk taking.

Agreed....DeGea will be delighted to have a steady influence in front of him....build the foundations....

As my other post VVD was on another planet last season...but all the best sides are built off a great defence...Fergie started with Bruce and Pallister...Adam's and Bould...Van Dyke and anyone....the same with Kompany..... for that it's a good signing, don't think we'll see many seasons from a centre back like Van Dyke last year

23 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Not how I meant it mate, but no one knew how good Van Dyk was until last season, he was always a very real prospect, but moving to Liverpool made a huge difference...I just think Maguire is a good player, the sort of defender I like and maybe the step up to a big club will be good for him.and Utd.... as a big of an impact as Virgil?.I very much doubt it but a similar signing for similar reasons

I know mate lol and i think he will be a good signing really, in fact I wish he joined Liverpool as Virgil’s long term partner! 

Wasnt so long back he was a cult hero for england at the World Cup so I don’t think he will do bad at all.....he has just joined the wrong club lol 

• Haha 1