• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Put this on another thread recently, in some guys garden near Newquay. Cheers, D.

Think you took the bait, swallowed the hook, jumped in the landing net, probably just about to fillet yourself now! ? ? 

? You’re a trier.

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Chaseorbechased said:

Would be an awesome sight 

It's the sound that's awesome as well as seeing  one, I remember taking my cousin to Duxford years ago and one came in and circled and before landing, the sound of that merlin engine! Never forgotten that

A woman that is near me works on renovating old aeroplanes.  She told me that there are more  spits flying now than since the war.  She said that there were companies out there making wings and fusilages and there was a world wide search for Merlin engines that were fitted in launches and tanks and all sorts of other applications. these engines might be of different configurations than those fitted in aircraft but the main block is the same.  These engines are stripped down and rebuilt to a high standard and modified to power these rebuilt spits. Lots of money involved. A two seat spit flew over here about two weeks ago and the engine sounded like a cylinder was out of sync. A friend is thinking about having a one hour pleasure flight in one of the 2 seat  versions which is about £2750 for 30 mins. That's a lot of ammunition  or a lot of time with a woman !  Well you have to consider the options. ??.  I  Dunno what his Mrs would do with the money ? It might include him being cut for a start.

• Like 2
On 14/07/2019 at 00:07, Rusty_terrier said:

20190302_121545.jpg.4f7a848b6c6d9793fbb3c0db9af7fb24.jpg20190302_132619.jpg.518a90732512ff73655cd1edda751822.jpg

Spitfire at Edinburgh  museum 

I don't pretend to be an expert but I built a few Airfix Spitfires as a boy and they didn't look like anything in  your pics!

Just now, Rusty_terrier said:

It's not a model spitfire mate it's a full size one in the museum hanging from.the roof

Ok, lets be a little more direct...THAT ISN'T A SPITFIRE!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 13/07/2019 at 22:46, robertb123 said:

It's the sound that's awesome as well as seeing  one, I remember taking my cousin to Duxford years ago and one came in and circled and before landing, the sound of that merlin engine! Never forgotten that

How about four of them Merlins attached to a Lancaster skimming over Ladybower Reservoir while practising for the Dambusters Aniversary flight? I was in the middle of the reservoir in a small boat doing a bit of fly-fishing when the modern day Guy Gibson flew over. My underpants had to be discarded.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1