That time of year again

£20 belly of pork, boned out last night coated in madras paste and placed in the fridge overnight in cling film, ribs coated in smoked paprika and Tommy ketchup for spare ribs last night, then it was time to roll out the spit again, it never gets boring and brings out the inner cave man 

615E9142-F1AF-4A6C-BA55-D145C6CAA36C.jpeg

EDF08F5F-D207-4688-8B80-CC97004A3089.jpeg

78A41C86-7090-42DD-A7E8-7E4A07E23659.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ginger beard said:

No self respecting spit roast would be seen dead in one of those.

Whys that mate ?....im not educated on all this spit roast caper even barbecues normally make me feel sick !

24 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Whys that mate ?....im not educated on all this spit roast caper even barbecues normally make me feel sick !

I've seen 100's of spits but never one like that.thats more like an oven.

Thinking about it.we cheat too,down here people cook em in a bakers oven then put them on a spit over a fire for the last hour.but it looks good to the people buying.

Good money spit roasting pigs.about £5/6 a roll here and about £100 for a 75kg pig.

15 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

My buddy owns a hog roast van an apparently all the other vans do em in ovens an then spit them at end an he does his over a spit but can’t sell as much as them as it takes much longer to do em, he still makes good money as his reputation is good but he admits the other vans can make double what he does on a day at a fair/show/rally but he don’t mind an enjoyable doing what does, an between a few vans him an his wife live a decent life now they gettin on a bit

Its been another idea of mine in the past.i was offered a spit to buy and get pigs direct from the farmer sometimes for a favour sometimes for £60/70.if its a set price you charge £400 for an evenings work or charge £6 a roll.about 300 rolls for a 80kg pig = an incredible £1800.but the hours are shit.usually friday or saturday day or nights.

Edited by ginger beard
23 minutes ago, ginger beard said:

I've seen 100's of spits but never one like that.thats more like an oven.

Thinking about it.we cheat too,down here people cook em in a bakers oven then put them on a spit over a fire for the last hour.but it looks good to the people buying.

Good money spit roasting pigs.about £5/6 a roll here and about £100 for a 75kg pig.

In all fairness it was a poncey wedding with a good 4/500 people so i guess nobody was willing to get down and dirty so went semi commercial....tasted nice enough though.