I have a flat root on a kitchen extension. It's felted. Hopefully I'm either going to build up and put an another room above it, if I don't get round to that then I at least want to put a pitch on it. But for now I'm worried that it holds water. There is no damp inside but its a concern. What shall I do with it? Shall I paint it with roof tar? Just paint the joints or all of it? Shall I do a few coats where it holds water to try and build it up? 

_20190713_081103.JPG

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Get them fibreglassed will still have sitting water on but will remain watertight for long after you stopped worrying about it , ?

Yep! Buy some 450g / m2 fibreglass (about 6 times the area of roof so you can overlap and put at least two layers on) and some resin. It is dead easy to do and as long as you overlap the edges it will

I bet it's fcuking stunning stuff if you buy it from the shopping channel, and that bloke looks like he's done as much roofing as the queen mother.....

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, gnipper said:

Why don't they put a decent fall on flat roofs so that water can't collect like that? 

Not a clue mate. Iv got that roof and a flat roof on workshop and I'm constantly looking at the ceiling for damp. Surely one piece of 2x3 along one wall plate would shake a bit of water off

• Like 1
5 hours ago, DIDO.1 said:

Not a clue mate. Iv got that roof and a flat roof on workshop and I'm constantly looking at the ceiling for damp. Surely one piece of 2x3 along one wall plate would shake a bit of water off

Get them fibreglassed will still have sitting water on but will remain watertight for long after you stopped worrying about it , ?

• Like 5

Half the houses in the street have roofs like that as there bedrooms go into the roof annex and every 7 to 10 years they get them refelted and you see the odd one getting stripped right back and new chipboard sheets put in across the rafters refelted then tarred , There feck all but bother as said if you can i would put a sloping roof on it 

The ferring pieces are to small, strip back to joists, most builders buy 4x2 and make 2, 2" ferring pieces, some times over a large exspance, this is not enough of a fall close to the fulling edge. 

Also make shore, you start laying full boards, from bottom of full, then your cuts will be at the top and won't flatten out. 

Edited by slip lead
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Greyman said:

Better still use a single ply membrane, designed to have sitting water, can be laid perfectly flat...

you can adhere straight to the felt with a fleece back membrane, most are 20 year guarantee...we use Renolit, Alkorplan...you need to be an approved installer to supply....watch out for off the shelf cowboys, like Rephanol... materials crap and sold to anyone...

If you do go down this route, Sarnafil, Trocal or Alkorplan are all good systems with trained installers only...

8 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

Greyman, is spot on , fibreglass is the way to go . Get it done and forget about it .

Yep! Buy some 450g / m2 fibreglass (about 6 times the area of roof so you can overlap and put at least two layers on) and some resin. It is dead easy to do and as long as you overlap the edges it will be waterproof for years.

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, timmytree said:

My last loft extension I did myself, fitted firring strips of 3 inches down to nothing over 4.5 metres. Marine ply deck on 6 x 2 timbers, 3 layers of felt with big overlap joints staggered on each layer. Full bitumastic layer between each felt layer. After 10 years it was still fine but topped it with another bitumastic layer and top felt. Sold it 6 years ago and its still fine. Put a decent fall on a flat roof and it will last a lot longer.

Proper felting, 3 layer pour and roll.... my Grandad and my dad would be proud...Dads 68 now and still does the odd roof, my grandad felted until he was 73 (dead now).... my old man says we've ruined his trade with these new fangled products...I tell him to give up ffs.... lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

Yep! Buy some 450g / m2 fibreglass (about 6 times the area of roof so you can overlap and put at least two layers on) and some resin. It is dead easy to do and as long as you overlap the edges it will be waterproof for years.

I'm not a fan of the finish on big areas, great for penetrations, awkward spots etc....just think it looks a bit ugly as a main field area....just my opinion though, and certainly us effective...