Mooching lurcher

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its less about how they are bred, and more about how they are raised.  

Dam and sire. Dam real similar to the dog Terryd posted. 

Any dog will learn to catch stuff with brain rather than speed if its out enough. Ive a little bushing bitch catching rabbits all the time and had variety not even a year old. Just get them out amongs

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, terryd said:

Also  high drive sounds good on paper but it can be nice to coax a dog in the right direction you want rather than one that wants to nuke every thing from moment it can walk. 

The funniest thing I've ever read on here , propper  made me laugh , ... Nuke  everything , I know what you mean though 

4 minutes ago, singles said:

The funniest thing I've ever read on here , propper  made me laugh , ... Nuke  everything , I know what you mean though 

Yea not mentioning any names or any thing

cough

IMG_5409.jpg.7712c4d4ad04993a790954ad1bb9c857.jpg

On 12/07/2019 at 22:12, rabbitman1234567 said:

What the best mooching lurcher cross

Mooching is all I do. If you have plenty of game around you then I’d probably go lurcher to lurcher around the size you want.....bit of collie bit of bedlington.

However from personal experience if there isn’t a great deal of game around you where you mooch I have found that the drive to hunt can vary even within the breed type. For example I’ve had pure collies that work equally as good, but put them in an area where there’s not much game and one will pick up a stick and play, where the other would look for a scent regardless. I’ve found this very common in collie types if there’s isnt much scent about...so I personally would find it a bit of a gamble going down just the collie route unless you know the dam and sire.

I went down the gundog lurcher route, spaniel x lurcher, so mines less than 50% sighthound. She’s very tractable and her drive to hunt for game is high, never causes me any headaches. She’ll without doubt put a lot of faster more purposeful lurchers to shame in the mooching stakes, not all, but a lot. I know a lot of people get hooked up on speed, yes it’s important, but given she’s the slowest lurcher I’ve worked she’s also one that catches the most. I’ve found her to be more interesting to watch working, it’s like she almost has another string to her bow in that’s she’s developed her own style of hunting which is a pleasure to watch and  she has a knack of trying to gain the advantage. I’ve never worked anything like her. I might have just dropped lucky. She never raises anybody’s eyebrows either. She does yip occasionally, which doesn’t bother me, but may put others off. 

• Like 3

Beddy whippet grey both sides pal. Well the bitch had a bit of collie in her. Roughly...

dam: collie greyhound x beddy whippet

sire: beddy whippet x greyhound. 

So he’s about 1/8 collie 1/4 beddy rest whippet/grey. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, gaza said:

Beddy whippet grey both sides pal. Well the bitch had a bit of collie in her. Roughly...

dam: collie greyhound x beddy whippet

sire: beddy whippet x greyhound. 

So he’s about 1/8 collie 1/4 beddy rest whippet/grey. 

This mix of beddy/whippet/collie and grey look to be getting quite popular again. Good proven mix of lurcher ?

• Like 1