Its probably been done to death but i cant be arsed sifting through all the topics.....what is a good starter camera that hasnt got too many buttons ?.... to literally point and shoot ?....a mate told me Nikon Coolpix is good and they have zooms of x60 and more ( though im not convinced he knew much more than i do )....any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

13 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Its probably been done to death but i cant be arsed sifting through all the topics.....what is a good starter camera that hasnt got too many buttons ?.... to literally point and shoot ?....a mate told me Nikon Coolpix is good and they have zooms of x60 and more ( though im not convinced he knew much more than i do )....any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

I use a Panasonic FZ150 mate 24x zoom. It has got few buttons etc but they all have. You could just use it on auto though until you get used to it. I find it good not as good as a digital SLR, but I can't afford one of those with the lens I would like.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/401769317928

You will find one cheaper shopping around.

Cheers Arry

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Arry said:

I use a Panasonic FZ150 mate 24x zoom. It has got few buttons etc but they all have. You could just use it on auto though until you get used to it. I find it good not as good as a digital SLR, but I can't afford one of those with the lens I would like.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/401769317928

You will find one cheaper shopping around.

Cheers Arry

https://www.camerajungle.co.uk/  have a look on her

Thanks chaps that looks a nice simple little camera Arry thats the sort of thing im after,i dont mind paying a bit more just as long as its not for technology thats going to be wasted on me....ive been told that by a few people about mobile phones how the picture quality go,s the more you zoom...most of what i,ll be doing will be distance stuff so that side of things will be important.

• Like 1

As to the quality of zoomed images on mobiles, I think it's because a camera has different numbers for optical and digital zoom whereas mobile phone cameras are selling themselves on huge digital zooms. I've got a lumix that I'm really pleased with but it's not a pocket one so I'm thinking of trading it in for a smaller pocket sized one too as they've improved so much since I bought mine fifteen odd years ago. If it was good enough and portable enough I'd even consider trading in my mobile and going back to an old nokia...without a camera and internet!

Keep away from digital zoom and try and find a camera with a large optical zoom... Once you go beyond the optical zoom range and into the digital zoom your image quality with degrade dramatically and become quite distorted, optical zoom will retain all details and IQ.

• Like 3
19 hours ago, zandy01 said:

Keep away from digital zoom and try and find a camera with a large optical zoom... Once you go beyond the optical zoom range and into the digital zoom your image quality with degrade dramatically and become quite distorted, optical zoom will retain all details and IQ.

Yes ive been told digital zoom is almost a form of trickery and not the true image that optical zoom is....thats about as basic as my technical understanding go,s.....so what is seen as " large " when it comes to optical zoom as i was reading about some that are 80x and have super telephoto power....so is that like one of them big lenses you add onto it i dont fancy all that.

3 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Yes ive been told digital zoom is almost a form of trickery and not the true image that optical zoom is....thats about as basic as my technical understanding go,s.....so what is seen as " large " when it comes to optical zoom as i was reading about some that are 80x and have super telephoto power....so is that like one of them big lenses you add onto it i dont fancy all that.

To be honest I’m not clued up on compact or bridge cameras as I use DSLR’s with telephoto lenses but the bigger optical magnification the better the image will be on a compact camera without the huge lenses.

• Like 1

I use my iPad as my camera I carry a rucksack full of gear with me everywhere I go anyway so it’s no real problem and it does everything I need from macro to panoramic plus video also has the added advantage of storing everything on my iCloud so even if lost destroyed or stolen my pics are still safe ??