micky

THESE NEW TYPE FERRETS ?

1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

I don’t think it was meant as an insult, but there again with micky who knows 😂

Mickeys sound😉😂👍

On 11/07/2019 at 19:41, micky said:

Well ! you would think  some of the Euro or Micro owners would make an appearance on this thread even if it is only to say "my ferret never kills in and comes straight out when I whistle or I don't need a locator because if it duz kill it drags them out

bonfire night 024.jpg

I've got quite a few smallish size ferrets not micros as that's just a stupid made up name they are just small ferrets. They are all albinos as they stand out better I very rarely dig for them, I do use collars and I can't whistle them out. After years and years of ferreting these suit my kind of ferreting that I do, deep sandy sets and bolting for the dogs. They do kill now and again block enders but that's what they are down there for. A lot of people think their way is right but as long as you are happy then that's all that matters.

I am quite lucky to have access to a lot of land with daft amounts of rabbits on causing damage and me and my kids get as many as we can carry usually 30 to 40 in a day, been doing it for too many years to be bragging about numbers but I enjoy taking people out with me as I know a lot of lads are struggling for permissions. I must have helped a load of lads off here and other.forums in one way or another e.g days/nights out, restocking, filling up freezers and giving away equipment although some don't bother turning up as they think it all seems too good to be true. I should be taking a couple of chaps out at the weekend, I don't agree with rabbiting in summer but they are causing too much damage. I have helped people out and you would be surprised at what people have done back in return. To see someone's face when they are used to just getting the odd bunny or two to getting as many as they can carry is lovely to see and my Mrs aunty will be well happy, I probably won't even have a shot.

I've read some crackers on here "you can't have decent ferrets unless you have to dig for them" it's about bolting bunnies not digging but some people think that's a good day out but some people think that just because they dig all the time everyone else has to be too

. My favourite thing to do is bolting them for my dogs, I used to pop daft amounts off but got boring but I just try to keep everyone happy. As most of you will.know you can't trust many people nowadays as they go straight back on your permissions so limited to places you can take people and you have to plan it. 

I know some of these small ferrets can be a bit wimpy but another fact that you probably won't believe is my small hobs.are a bloody nightmare they are alright with each other and lovely to handle but if you saw one with a big hob you wouldn't believe it if my little hob got near him he would kill it even though he is 4 times his size. I've told a few people who have had one off me and they have had ferrets all their lives and they look at you gone out and then they see it for themselves.  I have always for many years picked the liveliest ones.  Am dropping a couple off this week to a friend who has spent his life rabbiting and net making who a lot of you will know from the game shows as he also finds it hard to believe as he knows his stuff. 

I won't be getting into any "discussions" about the merits of digging ferrets etc as far too busy and I'm just telling it how I see it. 

As long as everyone is happy then that's all that matters 😁 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't think anyone was saying you can't have a decent ferret unless you dig I won't keep small ferrets as the sets I work have large tunnels and the rabbits just dragged them around I was offered a large hob years ago now and it was problem solved yes I dig alot more on some sets but they are shallow so I'm not bothered, my ferrets suit me and what I want 

Wilbs, what a cracking write up I'm 100% behind u just like to see dogs work not many rabbits were I am but still love it

Had an invite up north Saturday we're there are plenty  of rabbits this will be fantastic lucky to get 4 we're I am so will be excited specially at 68 lol

Just to be clear on this ………..in over 60 years  Ferreting  I have never owned one that would not Kill in ……...I have owned Ferrets that have  been given every opportunity to work in shallow Rabbit filled setts  but would not so had to be killed [I would not pass an animal on ]…………. though I have many bags of Rabbits numbering20+ in my life time I cannot once  recall not having to dig.    ………. I know a few lads who catch a lot of Rabbits on a Weekly basis these range between 50/100 +  they have been doing it for years and often shown Pictures and given accounts on here when it was a more hands on Forum , all these Pictures shown lots of digs ………..In the past on here I have read many claims  such as , My Ferret never kills , If it Kills I whistle and it comes straight out , It will Kill a and then drag the Rabbit out,  there are a few more but they do not come to mind  but how I reply to these statements is SHOW ME ,  so if anyone can show me a mornings Ferreting where 30 + Rabbits  be caught without a dig then I will believe it and say so .1173664462_DSCF3014(1).JPG.7725bd8db33be21eb6e613369733a327.JPG

• Like 4

Most ferrets Iv saw that didn’t kill in was Cos they couldn’t or hadn’t figured it out yet, not enough graft, give em more an they soon suss it out an out comes the spade 😁

• Like 3

3927E2D0-F1A7-4756-BFDF-3C0B518BADEB.jpeg.32dfbb67e55e518945c47c15ea40fd8d.jpeghere we had 50 before dinner and not one dig, this was 6 seasons ago it’s never happens since, the spade always sees alittle action which I don’t mind at all, 

• Like 3

post-99494-0-09003300-1504209055_thumb.jpgpost-99494-0-51567300-1504209269_thumb.jpgpost-99494-0-64222000-1505149984_thumb.jpg

personally never had a day out ferretting and not used a shovel👍post-99494-0-96624400-1503427007_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Reading some of these posts has made me think my ferrets dont work the warrens thougherly enough, as ive been ferreting for 3 seasons now.

only for a few hours on a sunday morning and most ive had on day was 12.

Ive never had to use a spade to dig to a kill... although i have had to cut a length of bramble out the hedge to feed into the warren and grab a rabbit. It was only 6-7 foot in the hole. So you could say i could have dug to it.

I use smallish jills sandy coloured without collars then take a hob to collar up if needed.

I like to think my ferrets go in and work properly as they do bolt a fair few, but ive never had great numbers on the permission. Even in summer most ive had shooting is 21.

Ive never been ferreting with an experenced ferreter so have had to learn by myself and you tube vids and some knowledge gained on here (thanks all)

Hopefully my dog might help me this season as im training him on marking at the moment.

FF

18 hours ago, Furrosious ferreter said:

Reading some of these posts has made me think my ferrets dont work the warrens thougherly enough, as ive been ferreting for 3 seasons now.

only for a few hours on a sunday morning and most ive had on day was 12.

Ive never had to use a spade to dig to a kill... although i have had to cut a length of bramble out the hedge to feed into the warren and grab a rabbit. It was only 6-7 foot in the hole. So you could say i could have dug to it.

I use smallish jills sandy coloured without collars then take a hob to collar up if needed.

I like to think my ferrets go in and work properly as they do bolt a fair few, but ive never had great numbers on the permission. Even in summer most ive had shooting is 21.

Ive never been ferreting with an experenced ferreter so have had to learn by myself and you tube vids and some knowledge gained on here (thanks all)

Hopefully my dog might help me this season as im training him on marking at the moment.

FF

I am sure your ferrets are doing absolutely fine by the sound of it, it’s hard to know without being there but with no collars and not loads of experience it might be that your jills are killing below ground and you don’t even realise. How long are you waiting between bolts? How many ferrets are you putting down and what size of Warren are you working? If they are smallish sets and ferrets go 10-15 minutes between bolting any rabbits there is every chance they could be killing and you don’t even realise it. Depending on the ferret that is plenty on time to kill especially if there is more than one ferret most of my ferrets don’t stay with a kill as they aren’t hungry and hunt for the love of it so once a rabbit is dead they are off to find another. I would collar up all ferrets personally and if there is a lull see if they are stuck in one spot. I hope this helps mate. 

As said some days the spade makes up three quarters of the bag just how it goes when i start out for the new season as well as checking over the gear i always put a edge on the spade 

• Like 1

On 22/07/2019 at 14:30, micky said:

Just to be clear on this ………..in over 60 years  Ferreting  I have never owned one that would not Kill in ……...I have owned Ferrets that have  been given every opportunity to work in shallow Rabbit filled setts  but would not so had to be killed [I would not pass an animal on ]…………. though I have many bags of Rabbits numbering20+ in my life time I cannot once  recall not having to dig.    ………. I know a few lads who catch a lot of Rabbits on a Weekly basis these range between 50/100 +  they have been doing it for years and often shown Pictures and given accounts on here when it was a more hands on Forum , all these Pictures shown lots of digs ………..In the past on here I have read many claims  such as , My Ferret never kills , If it Kills I whistle and it comes straight out , It will Kill a and then drag the Rabbit out,  there are a few more but they do not come to mind  but how I reply to these statements is SHOW ME ,  so if anyone can show me a mornings Ferreting where 30 + Rabbits  be caught without a dig then I will believe it and say so .1173664462_DSCF3014(1).JPG.7725bd8db33be21eb6e613369733a327.JPG

I don't think its so much the size of the ferret that makes it stop down, some ferrets just seem to go to ground more. The thing that makes a lot of difference is the amount of times the ferret gets dragged out on the back end of a bunny it's quite funny to watch. Obviously with a lot bigger ferret the bunnies are going nowhere which means waiting around and more digging. The amount of times my ferrets get dragged out which obviously results in a lot less digging. Probably the same people up north who you are on about who I have known for many years. I went out at the end of the season with them and had a cracking day they put some serious time in it's near enough a full time job i wouldn't want to turn it from a hobby to a kind of job though as I'm too busy with other things. Most times I just bolt them for my dogs unless I have to get a load for someone.

If you are up for a laugh Micky and want to catch plenty of bunnies I would be more than happy to take you out for a day and a night when the season starts and see what you think. Leave your shovel at home though 😁 

I love these topics and all the nonsense; bolting weights and training or conditioning ferrets not to kill in 😁

The one thing I will say though is that I envy those who ferret these days with all that radio technology ferret finder stuff. When I kept and worked ferrets when I was a kid all we had was a big hob and a ball of twine, and when the big daft sod wrapped himself around a tree root 🤬 

I used to feed them on any carcase that came to hand; fur or feather topped up with offal from the butchers and some porridge or milk pobs. None of this boxing then either. They travelled in the inside pockets of my coat inside a cloth money bag with washers sewn in for air holes. They would gently take raw liver from my hands and then come back and lick my fingers clean. Didn't stop them nailing bunnies though. 😉

• Like 2

Nonsense lol - am too busy a chap to get into discussions over a few bloody bunnies.

Training ferrets not to kill you have obviously not read the post. I use a slightly smaller ferret as they kill a lot less. I go out to enjoy seeing my dogs running etc and am away on holiday most weekends so rabbiting discussions are bottom of my things to do lol.

Just off out now with my daughter to pop some bunnies off for a family friend for my vegetarian ferrets lol. This is my last post as I've said my bit and everyone is entitled to their opinion and each to their own. It's about catching a few bunnies ffs