THESE NEW TYPE FERRETS ?

About 10 years ago I was gifted a black EU polecat Hob ( when they was worth £80 !) I thort all my Christmas’s had come at ones , he looked amazing, was nice to handle and very strong and muscley, how ever when I tried to work him he would just kill and move on he was so fast nothing ever bolted I was disappointed very disappointed in him I guess you live n learn ha ha give me a standard albino or sandy any day 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

EUROS , BLACK EYED WHITES , GREYHOUND, MICRO , What do this lot add to the Pot ? all I've  had for the last 60 odd years  is just a humble Ferret, in the main they have all done what their supposed to

a Ferret is a bog standard ferret. to me they are coloured ones or whites. don't give a monkeys trumpet what colour eyes they have only one thing matters is they work. the standard ferrets you are tal

Just to be clear on this ………..in over 60 years  Ferreting  I have never owned one that would not Kill in ……...I have owned Ferrets that have  been given every opportunity to work in shallow Rabbit fil

Posted Images

2 hours ago, vfr400boy said:

About 10 years ago I was gifted a black EU polecat Hob ( when they was worth £80 !) I thort all my Christmas’s had come at ones , he looked amazing, was nice to handle and very strong and muscley, how ever when I tried to work him he would just kill and move on he was so fast nothing ever bolted I was disappointed very disappointed in him I guess you live n learn ha ha give me a standard albino or sandy any day 

should of put it to a steady white worker,slow them down abit ?put them back to another white...that's what I did with my pures.....find they kill the odd one first season then settle down ?

1 hour ago, vfr400boy said:

I did put him over a sandy and to be fair they made nice kits but was quite hard to tame , he lived till he was 9 thort the bloody thing would never die ! 

I found them nippy until they done a few seasons,but they were spot on?my son's young black dog got in with them and wiped me out ?

• Sad 1

If they're bred from working stock, it makes no difference what colour they are. Seen slow, fast and all in between in all colours. Old wives tale down here is polecat works deeper than whites. Crap, depends entirely on the ferret. 

I like white personally, easier seen in the hedgerows we work. 

i've got all colours here but thats just because these old eyes like the lighter colours better , and having different colours here i can see whos surfacing on a big warren with out tramping all over it and seeing if ones missing then out comes the knocker box  .

I had a mate packing in so i said i would rehome his ferrets while i found homes for them and one was a big EU polecat , big rippling barstool walked totally different from the ferrets put him in with my jills and the thrashed it LOL  no use for working killed too many rabbits so passed him on to a guy who rated dark polecats 

On 11/07/2019 at 19:41, micky said:

Well ! you would think  some of the Euro or Micro owners would make an appearance on this thread even if it is only to say "my ferret never kills in and comes straight out when I whistle or I don't need a locator because if it duz kill it drags them out

bonfire night 024.jpg

I've got quite a few smallish size ferrets not micros as that's just a stupid made up name they are just small ferrets. They are all albinos as they stand out better I very rarely dig for them, I do use collars and I can't whistle them out. After years and years of ferreting these suit my kind of ferreting that I do, deep sandy sets and bolting for the dogs. They do kill now and again block enders but that's what they are down there for. A lot of people think their way is right but as long as you are happy then that's all that matters.

I am quite lucky to have access to a lot of land with daft amounts of rabbits on causing damage and me and my kids get as many as we can carry usually 30 to 40 in a day, been doing it for too many years to be bragging about numbers but I enjoy taking people out with me as I know a lot of lads are struggling for permissions. I must have helped a load of lads off here and other.forums in one way or another e.g days/nights out, restocking, filling up freezers and giving away equipment although some don't bother turning up as they think it all seems too good to be true. I should be taking a couple of chaps out at the weekend, I don't agree with rabbiting in summer but they are causing too much damage. I have helped people out and you would be surprised at what people have done back in return. To see someone's face when they are used to just getting the odd bunny or two to getting as many as they can carry is lovely to see and my Mrs aunty will be well happy, I probably won't even have a shot.

I've read some crackers on here "you can't have decent ferrets unless you have to dig for them" it's about bolting bunnies not digging but some people think that's a good day out but some people think that just because they dig all the time everyone else has to be too

. My favourite thing to do is bolting them for my dogs, I used to pop daft amounts off but got boring but I just try to keep everyone happy. As most of you will.know you can't trust many people nowadays as they go straight back on your permissions so limited to places you can take people and you have to plan it. 

I know some of these small ferrets can be a bit wimpy but another fact that you probably won't believe is my small hobs.are a bloody nightmare they are alright with each other and lovely to handle but if you saw one with a big hob you wouldn't believe it if my little hob got near him he would kill it even though he is 4 times his size. I've told a few people who have had one off me and they have had ferrets all their lives and they look at you gone out and then they see it for themselves.  I have always for many years picked the liveliest ones.  Am dropping a couple off this week to a friend who has spent his life rabbiting and net making who a lot of you will know from the game shows as he also finds it hard to believe as he knows his stuff. 

I won't be getting into any "discussions" about the merits of digging ferrets etc as far too busy and I'm just telling it how I see it. 

As long as everyone is happy then that's all that matters ? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't think anyone was saying you can't have a decent ferret unless you dig I won't keep small ferrets as the sets I work have large tunnels and the rabbits just dragged them around I was offered a large hob years ago now and it was problem solved yes I dig alot more on some sets but they are shallow so I'm not bothered, my ferrets suit me and what I want