THESE NEW TYPE FERRETS ?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

EUROS , BLACK EYED WHITES , GREYHOUND, MICRO , What do this lot add to the Pot ? all I've  had for the last 60 odd years  is just a humble Ferret, in the main they have all done what their supposed to

a Ferret is a bog standard ferret. to me they are coloured ones or whites. don't give a monkeys trumpet what colour eyes they have only one thing matters is they work. the standard ferrets you are tal

Just to be clear on this ………..in over 60 years  Ferreting  I have never owned one that would not Kill in ……...I have owned Ferrets that have  been given every opportunity to work in shallow Rabbit fil

Posted Images

Just to be clear on this ………..in over 60 years  Ferreting  I have never owned one that would not Kill in ……...I have owned Ferrets that have  been given every opportunity to work in shallow Rabbit filled setts  but would not so had to be killed [I would not pass an animal on ]…………. though I have many bags of Rabbits numbering20+ in my life time I cannot once  recall not having to dig.    ………. I know a few lads who catch a lot of Rabbits on a Weekly basis these range between 50/100 +  they have been doing it for years and often shown Pictures and given accounts on here when it was a more hands on Forum , all these Pictures shown lots of digs ………..In the past on here I have read many claims  such as , My Ferret never kills , If it Kills I whistle and it comes straight out , It will Kill a and then drag the Rabbit out,  there are a few more but they do not come to mind  but how I reply to these statements is SHOW ME ,  so if anyone can show me a mornings Ferreting where 30 + Rabbits  be caught without a dig then I will believe it and say so .1173664462_DSCF3014(1).JPG.7725bd8db33be21eb6e613369733a327.JPG

• Like 4

Reading some of these posts has made me think my ferrets dont work the warrens thougherly enough, as ive been ferreting for 3 seasons now.

only for a few hours on a sunday morning and most ive had on day was 12.

Ive never had to use a spade to dig to a kill... although i have had to cut a length of bramble out the hedge to feed into the warren and grab a rabbit. It was only 6-7 foot in the hole. So you could say i could have dug to it.

I use smallish jills sandy coloured without collars then take a hob to collar up if needed.

I like to think my ferrets go in and work properly as they do bolt a fair few, but ive never had great numbers on the permission. Even in summer most ive had shooting is 21.

Ive never been ferreting with an experenced ferreter so have had to learn by myself and you tube vids and some knowledge gained on here (thanks all)

Hopefully my dog might help me this season as im training him on marking at the moment.

FF

18 hours ago, Furrosious ferreter said:

Reading some of these posts has made me think my ferrets dont work the warrens thougherly enough, as ive been ferreting for 3 seasons now.

only for a few hours on a sunday morning and most ive had on day was 12.

Ive never had to use a spade to dig to a kill... although i have had to cut a length of bramble out the hedge to feed into the warren and grab a rabbit. It was only 6-7 foot in the hole. So you could say i could have dug to it.

I use smallish jills sandy coloured without collars then take a hob to collar up if needed.

I like to think my ferrets go in and work properly as they do bolt a fair few, but ive never had great numbers on the permission. Even in summer most ive had shooting is 21.

Ive never been ferreting with an experenced ferreter so have had to learn by myself and you tube vids and some knowledge gained on here (thanks all)

Hopefully my dog might help me this season as im training him on marking at the moment.

FF

I am sure your ferrets are doing absolutely fine by the sound of it, it’s hard to know without being there but with no collars and not loads of experience it might be that your jills are killing below ground and you don’t even realise. How long are you waiting between bolts? How many ferrets are you putting down and what size of Warren are you working? If they are smallish sets and ferrets go 10-15 minutes between bolting any rabbits there is every chance they could be killing and you don’t even realise it. Depending on the ferret that is plenty on time to kill especially if there is more than one ferret most of my ferrets don’t stay with a kill as they aren’t hungry and hunt for the love of it so once a rabbit is dead they are off to find another. I would collar up all ferrets personally and if there is a lull see if they are stuck in one spot. I hope this helps mate. 

As said some days the spade makes up three quarters of the bag just how it goes when i start out for the new season as well as checking over the gear i always put a edge on the spade 

• Like 1
On 22/07/2019 at 14:30, micky said:

Just to be clear on this ………..in over 60 years  Ferreting  I have never owned one that would not Kill in ……...I have owned Ferrets that have  been given every opportunity to work in shallow Rabbit filled setts  but would not so had to be killed [I would not pass an animal on ]…………. though I have many bags of Rabbits numbering20+ in my life time I cannot once  recall not having to dig.    ………. I know a few lads who catch a lot of Rabbits on a Weekly basis these range between 50/100 +  they have been doing it for years and often shown Pictures and given accounts on here when it was a more hands on Forum , all these Pictures shown lots of digs ………..In the past on here I have read many claims  such as , My Ferret never kills , If it Kills I whistle and it comes straight out , It will Kill a and then drag the Rabbit out,  there are a few more but they do not come to mind  but how I reply to these statements is SHOW ME ,  so if anyone can show me a mornings Ferreting where 30 + Rabbits  be caught without a dig then I will believe it and say so .1173664462_DSCF3014(1).JPG.7725bd8db33be21eb6e613369733a327.JPG

I don't think its so much the size of the ferret that makes it stop down, some ferrets just seem to go to ground more. The thing that makes a lot of difference is the amount of times the ferret gets dragged out on the back end of a bunny it's quite funny to watch. Obviously with a lot bigger ferret the bunnies are going nowhere which means waiting around and more digging. The amount of times my ferrets get dragged out which obviously results in a lot less digging. Probably the same people up north who you are on about who I have known for many years. I went out at the end of the season with them and had a cracking day they put some serious time in it's near enough a full time job i wouldn't want to turn it from a hobby to a kind of job though as I'm too busy with other things. Most times I just bolt them for my dogs unless I have to get a load for someone.

If you are up for a laugh Micky and want to catch plenty of bunnies I would be more than happy to take you out for a day and a night when the season starts and see what you think. Leave your shovel at home though ? 

I love these topics and all the nonsense; bolting weights and training or conditioning ferrets not to kill in ?

The one thing I will say though is that I envy those who ferret these days with all that radio technology ferret finder stuff. When I kept and worked ferrets when I was a kid all we had was a big hob and a ball of twine, and when the big daft sod wrapped himself around a tree root ? 

I used to feed them on any carcase that came to hand; fur or feather topped up with offal from the butchers and some porridge or milk pobs. None of this boxing then either. They travelled in the inside pockets of my coat inside a cloth money bag with washers sewn in for air holes. They would gently take raw liver from my hands and then come back and lick my fingers clean. Didn't stop them nailing bunnies though. ?

• Like 2

Nonsense lol - am too busy a chap to get into discussions over a few bloody bunnies.

Training ferrets not to kill you have obviously not read the post. I use a slightly smaller ferret as they kill a lot less. I go out to enjoy seeing my dogs running etc and am away on holiday most weekends so rabbiting discussions are bottom of my things to do lol.

Just off out now with my daughter to pop some bunnies off for a family friend for my vegetarian ferrets lol. This is my last post as I've said my bit and everyone is entitled to their opinion and each to their own. It's about catching a few bunnies ffs

8 hours ago, wilbs said:

Nonsense lol - am too busy a chap to get into discussions over a few bloody bunnies.

Training ferrets not to kill you have obviously not read the post. I use a slightly smaller ferret as they kill a lot less. I go out to enjoy seeing my dogs running etc and am away on holiday most weekends so rabbiting discussions are bottom of my things to do lol.

Just off out now with my daughter to pop some bunnies off for a family friend for my vegetarian ferrets lol. This is my last post as I've said my bit and everyone is entitled to their opinion and each to their own. It's about catching a few bunnies ffs

But you already have ?

I had large ferrets and small ferrets, as did my mates. The little ones would kill in just as often as the bigger ones.

On ‎25‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 19:57, wilbs said:

I don't think its so much the size of the ferret that makes it stop down, some ferrets just seem to go to ground more. The thing that makes a lot of difference is the amount of times the ferret gets dragged out on the back end of a bunny it's quite funny to watch. Obviously with a lot bigger ferret the bunnies are going nowhere which means waiting around and more digging. The amount of times my ferrets get dragged out which obviously results in a lot less digging. Probably the same people up north who you are on about who I have known for many years. I went out at the end of the season with them and had a cracking day they put some serious time in it's near enough a full time job i wouldn't want to turn it from a hobby to a kind of job though as I'm too busy with other things. Most times I just bolt them for my dogs unless I have to get a load for someone.

If you are up for a laugh Micky and want to catch plenty of bunnies I would be more than happy to take you out for a day and a night when the season starts and see what you think. Leave your shovel at home though ? 

Thanks Wilbs I would love to ? there will be no problem leaving the spade  behind and  I have a yen to scoff some of that Humble Pie  again .

DSCF1586.JPG

• Like 1

Got a pair of Jill's last Sunday,first ferrets in 6 years,got my daughter to handle them during the day for me,and she's done a fantastic job,looking forward to next season

IMG_20190725_205137.jpg

IMG-906d6a0163bbc03413c4804594efeeb7-V.jpg

• Like 2
14 hours ago, micky said:

Thanks Wilbs I would love to ? there will be no problem leaving the spade  behind and  I have a yen to scoff some of that Humble Pie  again .

DSCF1586.JPG

You're welcome pal, nice.to have another experienced pair of hands you will be doing me a favour. Will PM you and we can sort something out.

• Like 1