THESE NEW TYPE FERRETS ?

EUROS , BLACK EYED WHITES , GREYHOUND, MICRO , What do this lot add to the Pot ? all I've  had for the last 60 odd years  is just a humble Ferret, in the main they have all done what their supposed too except a couple that had to be knocked on the nut, I just try to feed them right handle them and keep the hut  clean and give em plenty of work  so what do these exotics bring in .

bonfire night 032.jpg

• Like 9

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

EUROS , BLACK EYED WHITES , GREYHOUND, MICRO , What do this lot add to the Pot ? all I've  had for the last 60 odd years  is just a humble Ferret, in the main they have all done what their supposed to

a Ferret is a bog standard ferret. to me they are coloured ones or whites. don't give a monkeys trumpet what colour eyes they have only one thing matters is they work. the standard ferrets you are tal

Just to be clear on this ………..in over 60 years  Ferreting  I have never owned one that would not Kill in ……...I have owned Ferrets that have  been given every opportunity to work in shallow Rabbit fil

Posted Images

a Ferret is a bog standard ferret. to me they are coloured ones or whites. don't give a monkeys trumpet what colour eyes they have only one thing matters is they work. the standard ferrets you are talking about have stood the test of time. I will leave this post now has the resident half wit will shortly be on and the thread will turn into a farce. 

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

They add or bring nowt, give me a few garden variety common ferrets anyday, Iv had same line of ferrets for a few years now an a few mates have gone from fad to fad an have all ended up with normal ferrets now

been seeing some mad arse colours about recently tho, whites with black spots an patches an polecats with big white blazes an stuff an even one that looked red/orange, wtf is that all about ?

Its the same with Dogs Don …...COAT BLIND .

44 minutes ago, micky said:

EUROS , BLACK EYED WHITES , GREYHOUND, MICRO , What do this lot add to the Pot ? all I've  had for the last 60 odd years  is just a humble Ferret, in the main they have all done what their supposed too except a couple that had to be knocked on the nut, I just try to feed them right handle them and keep the hut  clean and give em plenty of work  so what do these exotics bring in .

bonfire night 032.jpg

Money ? 

• Thanks 1

Well ! you would think  some of the Euro or Micro owners would make an appearance on this thread even if it is only to say "my ferret never kills in and comes straight out when I whistle or I don't need a locator because if it duz kill it drags them out

bonfire night 024.jpg

• Haha 3
On 11/07/2019 at 17:18, W. Katchum said:

"even one that looked red/orange, wtf is that all about ?"

Years ago reddish-ginger ferrets were not unusual ;they were what we called sandies. Albino,polecat and sandy( ginger) were the main colours. Anything in between light and dark was a poley-cross.

These days  a sandy is just a light polecat cross but I would love to see one of the proper type again.

Edited by comanche
1 hour ago, neil b said:

As a youngster I tried the silvers, dark polecats and black eyed whites, now I keep predominantly albinos.... I’m of the mindset now,it’s not right if it ain’t white! 

Yep.I've had various shades,some I confess I bought because they were pretty ,especially when I was younger.

They all worked but experience and aging eyes, coupled with the sort of single-handed ferreting I tend to do has taught me that a white one shows up best in thick cover!

Edited by comanche
2 hours ago, neil b said:

As a youngster I tried the silvers, dark polecats and black eyed whites, now I keep predominantly albinos.... I’m of the mindset now,it’s not right if it ain’t white! 

I am very partial to whites. getting back into it last year I couldn't find any well bred whites. so ended up with 2 coloured Jill's. not complaining but whites are always first choice for me. 

• Like 2

Most of my permission is on grouse moors, so with the large expances of deep heather bed we work it’s a no brainer really, I like the slow mathodical working style of them and there easy  visabilty should they pop out somewhere unexpected. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, neil b said:

Most of my permission is on grouse moors, so with the large expances of deep heather bed we work it’s a no brainer really, I like the slow mathodical working style of them and there easy  visabilty should they pop out somewhere unexpected. 

I have always found them to be steadier. I have had my share of both and find coloured ones to be a lot faster. 

• Like 1