Fishing at anchor

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is a video showing a very easy and effective method I use to anchor a wreck or a mark. I show that even solo on a jowly day it’s easy and safe to shoot and haul an anchor. And I show a few fish w

Yes mate, European sea bass weighed just over 20lb in that photo. ????

Cheers fireman.yeah good fish.as i understand it there the best fish in our sea's.

Posted Images

Fishlocker do you have your anchor rope fixed to the boat? I used to do a lot of fishing in a Alaska 500 out of Dartmouth, Salcombe and Torbay. One of our favourite target species were Blond Ray and Small Eyed Rays. Sometimes if we had a big Ray on and could not get it back to the boat we would what we called "Dan Off", uncleat the anchor rope and let the boat drift. If we were catching we would have already have marked the anchor rope at the cleat by untwisting the rope enough to put a piece of cored through. Back to the boat drifting and the rope paying out, if the rope came to an end then there was another Dan that would not go through the anchor lifting Dan, hope you get what I mean. When the Ray is boated steam back upside pick the Dan up pull up till you find the cord in the rope and your back on the mark.

Cheers Arry

• Like 2

Not being a boating man I never understood anchors. Surely if you chuck one in rough ground and the boat pulls it tight. DOn't the bloody thing just get stuck lol. Or do they work like a grip lead ?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, terryd said:

Not being a boating man I never understood anchors. Surely if you chuck one in rough ground and the boat pulls it tight. DOn't the bloody thing just get stuck lol. Or do they work like a grip lead ?

You can trip them mate, this means the chain goes to the Botton of the anchor and you tie a weak link to the top of the anchor which if you're stuck you steam around and break the weak link. Most times small boat fishing is done over clear ground so it's not a problem, but a string of pots can be a bugger if you get hitch in them. If you do get stuck in a bit of rough ground or a snag you steam around in circles hope you get if out, alway handy if you have a mate that can dive.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
5 hours ago, terryd said:

You might not know much about anchors but your theory is pretty spot on ? Here is a little video showing how I use different types of anchors rigged in different ways so you can get them back and they don't get stuck ;)

https://youtu.be/5J-2bUgbkic

https://youtu.be/5J-2bUgbkic 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Arry said:

You can trip them mate, this means the chain goes to the Botton of the anchor and you tie a weak link to the top of the anchor which if you're stuck you steam around and break the weak link. Most times small boat fishing is done over clear ground so it's not a problem, but a string of pots can be a bugger if you get hitch in them. If you do get stuck in a bit of rough ground or a snag you steam around in circles hope you get if out, alway handy if you have a mate that can dive.

Cheers Arry

Thats very true mate. I have even free dived myself to retrieve a snagged GoPro but only in around 30ft.

On 11/07/2019 at 21:45, The Fishlocker said:

Yes mate, European sea bass weighed just over 20lb in that photo. ????

If that went over 20lb it’s a British record

edited to add, just checked and you are indeed the record holder, so a big hats off to you, superb fish and something most of us can only dream about ?

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Rabid said:

Black I shouldn’t wonder, think your the first person to say he don’t like bream though.

I don't like any of the slimy,smelly b*****ds except chip shop cod and peppered smoked mackeral and i haven't eaten that for about 5 years.

14 hours ago, Rabid said:

If that went over 20lb it’s a British record

edited to add, just checked and you are indeed the record holder, so a big hats off to you, superb fish and something most of us can only dream about ?

WHAT? SOMEBODY ON HERE IS AN ACTUAL CHAMPION OF G.B??