An intriguing mix of breeds

1 hour ago, Dinosaurs said:

Looks like a bit of beddy or DH to me. Lovely looking bitch whatever she is. Hope your all adapting to life on the water You certainly picked a god summer ? atb

Thanks. Can't complain at all right now. 

• Like 1

She looks very much like a lad off here (Snifferboy) bitch called Roo, who I hunt with a bit...

She is Grey/Collie/Slauki... I always thought she looked like a Wheaton or Beddy cross but as far as he knew there was none in her...

This is a pic of her a few years back..

6_SKC_1924_zpscfbmyuax.jpg

• Like 2

All the replies show that it's impossible to determine the breeding of a lurcher by its appearance. Thanks everyone. I shall continue to enjoy watching her grow up. She's about 15 months old now so should be ready for autumn.

• Like 3

Deffo Wheaton in there got the look in her face I had a dog few years I bought as a Wheaton grey bull grey very similar in colour to your dog and I used to look this dog and think there's no bull or Wheaton in this dog and I used watch the way he'd run characteristics etc I couldn't put my finger on it. Well unfortunately he ruptured his stomach and got peratenitious and died while the vet was trying to operate few months later I was talking to a lad who knew the dog because he had bought him and his sister as a pup and he was deerhound greyhound Bedlington grey just shows what some people try to pass them off as

21 hours ago, skycat said:

She's about 25 inches. And I did wonder if she has Beddy in her.  But she's very sensitive in some ways and a right thug in others. An interesting character to be sure.   But she's also being slow to mature and only recently shown serious interest in hunting. She's certainly got the Collie stalking thing in her.

Sounds like she could have deerhound in her going off that those personality traits. 

20 hours ago, ginger beard said:

Whats her character like.?

Well, that's a hard one to answer. She is incredibly complex. Right from the start, when I got her as an 8 week old, starved and stunted pup, she was confident, watchful, super alert to everything around her, incredibly sociable, could be quite sensitive to noises she hadn't heard before: like a woodpecker tapping a tree: freaked her out until she got used to it. But thunder and gunshot don't even figure on her radar. Exceptionally intelligent, knows how to press our buttons, prey drive now kicking in, very focused, intent, but loves positive interaction with me: plays ball all day, loves learning new things, does the Collie 'sit, down, stay, come' like an obedience Collie, and loves getting orders from me, so long as she isn't too intent on stalking rabbits. Very aware of human emotions: shuts down if I get cross with her, so, in a nutshell, she's tested all my skills to the limit and then some. If I'd had this dog 15 years ago, or more, I'd have thrown in the towel by now, but thankfully I've learned a bit since then, and she's coming good in all the right ways and I've managed not to break her trust in me, which has taken some doing at times as she can be wilful and stubborn. It really has been a case of positive reinforcement for the first 10 months, and only now can I speak sharply to her if she's not listening. A friend who has Beardie lurchers is rearing a pure working Beardie at the moment: he said something interesting: that the pup won't be able to focus on him, or listen, until she is a year old: she's just a live wire into everything. A bit as though she is receiving so much information from the world around her that there's too much white noise going on for her to focus on him. That's a bit like Skylark was until recently. But she's a lot of fun too, so hey ho, onwards and upwards we hopefully go.

• Like 3