It’s only a matter of time

This is how it played out last night . After checking the pens and walking the last of the poults in and waiting for them to settle , I drove to where we had seen the fox and mistakenly thought it was a deer . I set up the fox caller and tucked myself up next to the empty holiday let , just inside the barn . I figured I would stand out less by the building , also the breeze was in my favour. I put the caller on to field mouse for a bit and then on to pheasant distress, I thought , “ yes you b@stard , you know that sound “. I was getting fed up and made a deal with myself to give it till 11.00 , time dragged and eventually 11.00 came and I switched the caller off and thought I’d scan the bottom fields before I drove back to the pen for one last look . Bottom fields yielded nothing so I drove back towards the pen . As I approached I was scanning with the thermal, I made out a heat source disappear over a rise  that was the right size and sort of shape but I couldn’t tell 100% it could have been a munty or a badger . I raced over the bank . As soon as I was top side of the pen ... engine off and rifle up into position. I scanned with the thermal and saw nothing. I was getting really frustrated, I was sure it was a fox , where was it ? It couldn’t have just disappeared into thin air like that ? I kept scanning and then it appeared, it’s presence hidden from me by a fold in the ground . Now it was moving towards the wood .....”Oi” I shouted and in true foxy style it stopped and looked over its shoulder . Then I dished up its last meal that it has on me , a generous portion of 50 grn Sierra semi point in .223 in the back of its head ..... “enjoy “. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well the story so far is I’ve had birds delivered to two pens so far , I’ve got another two to be delivered this week . The first pen has settled in really well and I’ve had no problems from Charlie..

Nice one John . Only couple hundred more to go lol . Had a look round the chicken farm I do last night with the pard set up and managed this little lot off sticks .

That's keepering mate and how I lost my hair. I don't do it now but just in case it helps my old keeper friend would leave his shirt hanging up wind from the pen of an evening! If you were closer

Posted Images