It’s only a matter of time

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well the story so far is I’ve had birds delivered to two pens so far , I’ve got another two to be delivered this week . The first pen has settled in really well and I’ve had no problems from Charlie..

Nice one John . Only couple hundred more to go lol . Had a look round the chicken farm I do last night with the pard set up and managed this little lot off sticks .

That's keepering mate and how I lost my hair. I don't do it now but just in case it helps my old keeper friend would leave his shirt hanging up wind from the pen of an evening! If you were closer

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

I think you need a baited area and a trail cam 

I think I that would probably work , anywhere else on the shoot and he’d of been wearing a wire around his neck , but because of cattle that is a no no . I have just been to check the pens , and touch wood another quiet night . No birds out and all looking calm and not at all rattled , no dead lying about or puffs of feathers. It looks like the fox isn’t taking any and would probably bait ok .

7 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

Have you tried tethering a dead poult as bait and setting up in range? 

There were a few bits of dead poults here and there , I was waiting for it to come back for them . All it’s got to do is show it’s mug in the field when I’m hiding , the shot is only going to be 150 max . 

• Like 1

To be honest , I’m not even tired , so I can’t use that as an excuse. All I have to do is check the birds have got water and feed , doesn’t take too long. I usually have a nap in the afternoon, if the grandkids keep quiet ? 

1 hour ago, Baldcoot said:

Wow 4 and a half miles of string thats dedication S/L :rofl:

He could tie a paper cup on each end like we used to do when we were kids, and get Charlie to ring you when he's ready.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

Have you tried tethering a dead poult as bait and setting up in range? 

Whenever i have tried using poults as bait where there are a lot of pheasants it has been a failure. They don't seem interested in dead ones. But replace them with pigeon or rabbit and they will take them straight away. 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, ianm said:

Whenever i have tried using poults as bait where there are a lot of pheasants it has been a failure. They don't seem interested in dead ones. But replace them with pigeon or rabbit and they will take them straight away. 

I agree , In my experience, when they get a taste for live poults .... that’s what they focus on . In this weather particularly, anything dead is minging fairly quickly.

• Like 1