Erratic groups at 30 yards

Hi mate are you sure it's not just technique managing the recoil of a springer? They can be tough to shoot super accurately without putting in the practice to learn the gun. Also have you done any pellet testing? My hw95 absolutely hates a few big brands. Cheers, Mark. 

• Like 1

Thanks for reply Mark it might well be me, I started on air rifles then went over to a rimmy point and shoot etc 

I'm getting back into air rifles after a spate of depression and not getting out the house but I'm not sure I'm that bad a shot it was all over the place, I'll be changing the scope later 

I'll let you know how I get on mate

• Like 1

Give it some time buddy and put in a few hours getting used to the way the gun recoils and how to hold it lightly and let it cycle and move as it needs to in your hands and against your body. If you still don't have any luck mate I'd try a few different pellets.. That's always worth a go! Good to hear you're on the mend - keep us posted on how you get on. Enjoy your new rifle bud ?

Mark 

Could be scope paralax issue... is your shooting posture the same each time?

What scope are you using?

Do you know the history of the gun?

Ie has the barrel been off? Is there chaffing around the breach seal, is the breach seal ok?

Is the trigger ok... not hard to pull? Not sure if thats got a rekord or perfeckt trigger?

Barrel clean, pull through?

Ive just done this on mine and my groups are tightening up.

Pellets... what ones are you using?

Ive just done some testing yesterday and found a certain pellet doing the same at 25 meters.

Have to have a play about...

FF

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Furrosious ferreter said:

Could be scope paralax issue... is your shooting posture the same each time?

What scope are you using?

Do you know the history of the gun?

Ie has the barrel been off? Is there chaffing around the breach seal, is the breach seal ok?

Is the trigger ok... not hard to pull? Not sure if thats got a rekord or perfeckt trigger?

Barrel clean, pull through?

Ive just done this on mine and my groups are tightening up.

Pellets... what ones are you using?

Ive just done some testing yesterday and found a certain pellet doing the same at 25 meters.

Have to have a play about...

FF

Perfeckt?

Like HW30’ish?

5 hours ago, slipper said:

Thanks for reply Mark it might well be me, I started on air rifles then went over to a rimmy point and shoot etc 

I'm getting back into air rifles after a spate of depression and not getting out the house but I'm not sure I'm that bad a shot it was all over the place, I'll be changing the scope later 

I'll let you know how I get on mate

Hi Slipper, nice to hear you say you are on the mend now, good on you :good:

Slipper you mentioned two or three on the bull , then erratic, then two or three back on the bull at 30 yards.

I`m with maha87`s thoughts on your problem mate, with respect it maybe technique ?

Firstly find your best grouping pellets, clean the barrel yet again and note that bulls eyes and bad groups will become better.

Slipper take no grip whatsoever of the fore end of your stock, let it lye on the supported palm of your hand or shooting sticks, bench rest, bags etc, etc and you must " build your shot" and then follow through.( Take your shot and don't take your eye from the target for a second or two)

Try your best to repeat your shooting cycle exactly the same every time and most importantly let the rifle shoot with the most relaxed of grips on her.

Practice, practice, then practice again, perfect practice makes perfect.

Might not be the scope Slipper but good luck with it ?

atb Mark.

• Like 2

Thanks for all replies peeps lots of info thanks

It's a 1988 model not sure what's been replaced if anything 

Breech seal is new there was a fibre one in which was worn, I replaced it with a genuine hw but just one query.. under the old breech seal was a copper washer, I left that in was that right?

Triggers really nice record very crisp, I have been using JSB exact in 4.52 and rws Superdome same patterns with both

I've got a Hawke airmax on it but have another 

I'm going out again for a practice I'll report back 

• Like 1