A long un!

A few nights ago i was asked by a mate to go and wait over a cut grass field with him on one of his farms. We arrived at about nine thirty and decided where we would both go. I was to get tucked under some overhanging trees on the left side of the field, he would go to the other side against a hedge. Both of us would be looking towards a long wood at the end of the field approximately two hundred yards away. This is a cracking farm for foxes and always has been. It is a long wood with a river running along it's length at the other side of it. Foxes follow the river along and when they find the territory vacant ( because someone has shot the previous occupants ) they stay on the ground. There are lots of earths in the wood and three badger setts that have been there since God was a lad. This farm is set up for sheep and sheep being sheep there is always something dead knocking about for foxes to scoff. 

Any how it didn't take long to set up the rifle on the roof of the Jimny and i put the foxpro out in front of me at about fifty yards. I had pre set it to field mouse distress. The field was cut and rowed up ready for the grass being lifted the next day. As time passed i watched a bewildered rabbit mooching about probably wondering what had happened to all the long grass.  Next to arrive on the scene was a hedgehog working along the rows for tasty titbits that the mower had supplied. Then a mouse appeared and didn't seem to know where it wanted to be. As i was scanning the wood edgeline with the Pulsar XQ50 thermal i saw what could only be a fox appear from within the wood at perhaps two hundred and fifty yards. Instinctively i switched the Drone on but not the laser i/r as it was still light enough not to need it. It didn't take long to pick it up in the scope at which point i turned the foxpro on. The fox immediately looked over towards the caller and began to trot in. Time to push the T3s safety forward and set the trigger. It was now just a matter of tracking Charlie in the scope in readiness for the shot. At eighty yards he stopped and stared intently towards where the enticing mouse sqeaks where coming from. That was what i had been waiting for and with the reticule settled on his boiler room i touched the trigger. I saw the bullet strike and he collapsed instantly. The time was eight minutes past ten so plenty of time for more to make an appearance. Despite calling on and off for the next two hours nothing else turned up which was a surprise. After phoning my mate and deciding to call it a night i went to retrieve the fox. Well it was a dog and a really long one, not very fat but he weighed eighteen pounds all the same. Foxes around there are usually shorter and thicker set than this fellow so quite where he has turned up from is anyones guess.

004.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Nice work Ianm . And an interesting read . That is a long one , bit like myself, long and lean . ? As I read this I’m waiting by one of my pens for a fox that has been showing up , our paths have crossed on more than one occasion, but I’ve not managed to get a shot off yet . It’s getting to that time when he might pop out . ?

37877C5F-4A70-4B09-A9F4-7962120BE766.jpeg

• Like 8
8 hours ago, ianm said:

Good luck! how are you finding the pulsar?

No luck last night , I stayed there until 11.00pm and nothing showed. I will have a couple of hours there this afternoon. Then I’ve got a mate coming to sit in a high seat I’ve set up . That way he can cover one side and I can cover the other . Like they say I’ve only got to be lucky once , he has to keep on being lucky , but his luck will run out . I’ve had the Pulsar N970 digisight for a while , I think this is my third season using it , coupled with a thermal spotter, the set up works well .  With a decent IR it gives you a great picture, also it works well without IR when there is just ambient light . I haven’t bothered getting a lens add on as I’ve taken foxes at 180 + meters with it . It holds zero well and quite easy to zero. I see you have a drone , they have a good rep , aren’t they difficult to get hold of now ? I was talking to a guy at Scott country and he was saying it was difficult to get them . 

4 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

No luck last night , I stayed there until 11.00pm and nothing showed. I will have a couple of hours there this afternoon. Then I’ve got a mate coming to sit in a high seat I’ve set up . That way he can cover one side and I can cover the other . Like they say I’ve only got to be lucky once , he has to keep on being lucky , but his luck will run out . I’ve had the Pulsar N970 digisight for a while , I think this is my third season using it , coupled with a thermal spotter, the set up works well .  With a decent IR it gives you a great picture, also it works well without IR when there is just ambient light . I haven’t bothered getting a lens add on as I’ve taken foxes at 180 + meters with it . It holds zero well and quite easy to zero. I see you have a drone , they have a good rep , aren’t they difficult to get hold of now ? I was talking to a guy at Scott country and he was saying it was difficult to get them . 

I used a Pulsar n750 for three years and shot a lot of foxes with it but being only four and a bit mag i struggled on a lot of them and couldn't shoot at some due to distance. It was 100% reliable though. Another thing i had to cater for with it was it would white out if a fox ran in much closer than i had set up for. I soon learned that a half turn on the up/down screw on the adjustable mount with my fingertips was enough to lift the beam above the fox but was more than enough light to shoot with. Then the drones came out and i decided to invest in one because of all the shooting i do i like my foxing the best. To be honest the drone was a massive improvement on the Pulsar not least because it is ten magnification which makes a huge difference. The picture is crystal clear and the sensor , camera and near eye eye display of a far better quality. It will handle all the i/r you can throw at it never whiting out. Scott country will have told you they are difficult to get hold of because they are not the importers. They are infact easy to get hold of, Ray Cliff of optical solutions imports them under the name of black env 10 he also has the black env 15s. They aren't cheap at i think £2,140 but anything worth having these days isn't cheap. I reckon the ultimate combination is thermal spotter, drone and a 500mw laser i/r, i use a solaris srx but there are others. These new lasers don't give off the red glow anywhere near like the led i/rs do and as a consequence are far more covert, foxes don't know you are there if you have done everything else right. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ianm said:

I used a Pulsar n750 for three years and shot a lot of foxes with it but being only four and a bit mag i struggled on a lot of them and couldn't shoot at some due to distance. It was 100% reliable though. Another thing i had to cater for with it was it would white out if a fox ran in much closer than i had set up for. I soon learned that a half turn on the up/down screw on the adjustable mount with my fingertips was enough to lift the beam above the fox but was more than enough light to shoot with. Then the drones came out and i decided to invest in one because of all the shooting i do i like my foxing the best. To be honest the drone was a massive improvement on the Pulsar not least because it is ten magnification which makes a huge difference. The picture is crystal clear and the sensor , camera and near eye eye display of a far better quality. It will handle all the i/r you can throw at it never whiting out. Scott country will have told you they are difficult to get hold of because they are not the importers. They are infact easy to get hold of, Ray Cliff of optical solutions imports them under the name of black env 10 he also has the black env 15s. They aren't cheap at i think £2,140 but anything worth having these days isn't cheap. I reckon the ultimate combination is thermal spotter, drone and a 500mw laser i/r, i use a solaris srx but there are others. These new lasers don't give off the red glow anywhere near like the led i/rs do and as a consequence are far more covert, foxes don't know you are there if you have done everything else right. 

Cheers Ian , i thought they were a step up from the pulsar but I can’t see me upgrading just yet . I think when I do it will be to a thermal scope . A friend has one and I like that you don’t get “glare back “ from the ir if you are near foliage or something in front . I also think when you swap over from thermal spotter  to digisight it can take a second or two to find your target, with thermal , it’s a lot easier. Anyway, I finished my jobs and I am having a couple of hours in the high seat , you never know when they will turn up !

124392CB-7D6E-46E4-8926-E4C93065770B.jpeg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

Cheers Ian , i thought they were a step up from the pulsar but I can’t see me upgrading just yet . I think when I do it will be to a thermal scope . A friend has one and I like that you don’t get “glare back “ from the ir if you are near foliage or something in front . I also think when you swap over from thermal spotter  to digisight it can take a second or two to find your target, with thermal , it’s a lot easier. Anyway, I finished my jobs and I am having a couple of hours in the high seat , you never know when they will turn up !

124392CB-7D6E-46E4-8926-E4C93065770B.jpeg

What rifle is that then if you binned the 6mm? Did you mention once you had a cz?

SL 

is that the b501 think that’s what’s called from wardy 

great ir , but have you tried a SRX on top 

not been rude mate I’ve got the 870 with Srx on top and to be honest there’s no comparison I’ve got the b501 and it’s just sat in the draw now

if you want a lend of the SRX for a try send me a PM and I’ll send it down to ya and as Ianm has said no glow from the srx 

atb 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, ianm said:

A few nights ago i was asked by a mate to go and wait over a cut grass field with him on one of his farms. We arrived at about nine thirty and decided where we would both go. I was to get tucked under some overhanging trees on the left side of the field, he would go to the other side against a hedge. Both of us would be looking towards a long wood at the end of the field approximately two hundred yards away. This is a cracking farm for foxes and always has been. It is a long wood with a river running along it's length at the other side of it. Foxes follow the river along and when they find the territory vacant ( because someone has shot the previous occupants ) they stay on the ground. There are lots of earths in the wood and three badger setts that have been there since God was a lad. This farm is set up for sheep and sheep being sheep there is always something dead knocking about for foxes to scoff. 

Any how it didn't take long to set up the rifle on the roof of the Jimny and i put the foxpro out in front of me at about fifty yards. I had pre set it to field mouse distress. The field was cut and rowed up ready for the grass being lifted the next day. As time passed i watched a bewildered rabbit mooching about probably wondering what had happened to all the long grass.  Next to arrive on the scene was a hedgehog working along the rows for tasty titbits that the mower had supplied. Then a mouse appeared and didn't seem to know where it wanted to be. As i was scanning the wood edgeline with the Pulsar XQ50 thermal i saw what could only be a fox appear from within the wood at perhaps two hundred and fifty yards. Instinctively i switched the Drone on but not the laser i/r as it was still light enough not to need it. It didn't take long to pick it up in the scope at which point i turned the foxpro on. The fox immediately looked over towards the caller and began to trot in. Time to push the T3s safety forward and set the trigger. It was now just a matter of tracking Charlie in the scope in readiness for the shot. At eighty yards he stopped and stared intently towards where the enticing mouse sqeaks where coming from. That was what i had been waiting for and with the reticule settled on his boiler room i touched the trigger. I saw the bullet strike and he collapsed instantly. The time was eight minutes past ten so plenty of time for more to make an appearance. Despite calling on and off for the next two hours nothing else turned up which was a surprise. After phoning my mate and deciding to call it a night i went to retrieve the fox. Well it was a dog and a really long one, not very fat but he weighed eighteen pounds all the same. Foxes around there are usually shorter and thicker set than this fellow so quite where he has turned up from is anyones guess.

004.JPG

There has to be something wrong with that fox. Full of worms most likely. Nice shooting though. 

1 hour ago, David.evans said:

SL 

is that the b501 think that’s what’s called from wardy 

great ir , but have you tried a SRX on top 

not been rude mate I’ve got the 870 with Srx on top and to be honest there’s no comparison I’ve got the b501 and it’s just sat in the draw now

if you want a lend of the SRX for a try send me a PM and I’ll send it down to ya and as Ianm has said no glow from the srx 

atb 

Yes David , it’s a Black sun ruby pil from Wardy . I think it’s fine , a lot better than the T20 I had on it before. I can see everything I need to . ?

• Like 1