2 hours ago, waltjnr said:

Arry ,why do you reckon its such a good year for mushrooms ? Do they go in a cycle ,where you get a bumper crop one year ,then not so good the following? Or is it all just weather conditions? Im seeing them everywhere and in numbers !

Waltjnr yea think its just that weather conditions are just right, it's been a bumper year for fungi, apples and nuts. Think it's nearly over for most fungi as the frost is not far away, it was white here on Wednesday.

Cheers Arry

• Thanks 1

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out foraging for Samphire today trying to find a local spot. I spotted some on the Camel estuary last week which gave me the idea. Well found loads I was amazed but bugger was it bloody hot and humid.

No Fungi it's gone dry as a chip again. Under some Hazels and they were dropping every where, so filled my pockets. Cheers Arry

Drying me nuts. Good amount of Walnuts this year. Cheers Arry

Posted Images

On 25/10/2019 at 17:53, Arry said:

Waltjnr yea think its just that weather conditions are just right, it's been a bumper year for fungi, apples and nuts. Think it's nearly over for most fungi as the frost is not far away, it was white here on Wednesday.

Cheers Arry

It's just starting for the king of Fungi  the Blewitt .

micks pics 110.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Arry said:

Wish I could find some mate.

Cheers Arry

In Leicestershire I have picked them by the Hundredweight  but I have no market now days , I will go back to Leic 's on the 14 th Nov .and pick a load as there are none in this part of Yorkshire 

P1010249_zpsd22bf3c5.jpg

Picture 101.jpg

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, micky said:

In Leicestershire I have picked them by the Hundredweight  but I have no market now days , I will go back to Leic 's on the 14 th Nov .and pick a load as there are none in this part of Yorkshire 

Have you ever taken any back and dropped some down on promising ground near home mate? you never know.

I find a few Wood Blewits but I've looked and looked for Field Blewits only ever found one in a hedge I was tilling nets out ferreting once.

Cheers Arry

4 hours ago, Arry said:

Have you ever taken any back and dropped some down on promising ground near home mate? you never know.

I find a few Wood Blewits but I've looked and looked for Field Blewits only ever found one in a hedge I was tilling nets out ferreting once.

Cheers Arry

No they grow well all over the Midlands  and I know many places where to find them , where I am in Yorkshire it is all Limestone close to the surface and I think it deters both Rabbits and Blewitts thriving 

Picture060.jpg

On 09/07/2019 at 12:39, Arry said:

Never heard of Cockle soup before but would defiantly give it a go. The poached egg thing I understand never seems right to  me to have one with smoked haddock or kippers.

Cheers Arry

Massive over her in Spain..  each coastal place has their own versions, it's simply seafood soup. Cockles, clams, razorclams anything they can get their hands on.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mushroom said:

Massive over her in Spain..  each coastal place has their own versions, it's simply seafood soup. Cockles, clams, razorclams anything they can get their hands on.

Sounds good mate. I prefer Good plate of cockles in vinegar with a big door step of fresh bread and thick butter. But would def give that a go.

Cheers Arry

• Haha 1
55 minutes ago, Arry said:

Sounds good mate. I prefer Good plate of cockles in vinegar with a big door step of fresh bread and thick butter. But would def give that a go.

Cheers Arry

I have the choice here of fresh in the shell or cooked and in a bag like the old fishmongers used to have... all from Blighty... how's that for a fuucking travesty ?‍♂️ 

To add; you can get local picked here but they'll cost you more than you would care to pay.

Edited by mushroom
  • Like 1

Well out ferreting the other day came across a Black Walnut tree with loads of nuts fallen and still on the tree. Well they have a green husk that quickly goes black as it's full of tanning and other shit, well read up on it and you have to remove the husk. Did this and just blasted them with a power washer but Lol you see my hands, they are stained to f**k looks like I have frost bite. They are very different looking than an English walnut, hope they taste nice after all this trouble.

If any body knows a good way to remove the stain please tell. On line it said Lemon juice and salt, well that was as much use as a chocolate tea pot. Lol.

IMG_0937.jpeg.8380da11d9f4719a557ede941c92a80f.jpeg

IMG_0938.jpeg.d7f018ac8319313c18e950241eb72eff.jpeg

IMG_0939.jpeg.9906adf19b3992c5cbbe1885b78eaca5.jpeg

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, mushroom said:

I said bleach not bleach and water... fuucking joey ?

The bowl of water was in the sink, put bleach on my hands and it turn purple and dripped into the water which made the water purple as well. It must be some chemical reaction with the tanning or other stuff in the husk sap. Quite shocking I was not ready for that.

Cheers Arry

• 3 weeks later...