The Whippet is it the Ultimate Rabbiting Dog?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

no one breed or strain stands out, just individual dogs, and there are to many ways of using a running dog for rabbits, that's why no one can agree, and why an ultimate rabbit dog does not exist, the

my mate had a little whippet x called Dai,...3/4 whippet 1/4 bull,best little dog I've seen around nets and woodland ,hedgerow etc,tough as old boots and didn't miss much...id get 1 bred same way if I

Daytime rabbits hunted bolted and caught by one dog has to be the hardest form of rabbiting, but like bushing with a couple of dogs I find the most enjoyable......lots of missed rabbits and coming hom

Posted Images

Quicker....I understand if that’s what you need. I’m not knocking your choice of dog,for the work and terrain you deal with.

A lot round me used to use small grew bitches to catch the bolted or bushed rabbits back in the eighties,,,,,,,amazing at what they did and would leave whippets behind.....but again lacked in other areas. Bloody great to watch though.

I have a small bitch here that is half springer spaniel, in fact she’s less than half sight hound, but she as a mooching rabbit dog will catch much more than plenty of whippets or lurchers that are faster. Trust me I love whippets I’m just going on my experience.

18 minutes ago, Shortstraw said:

Are you using a bushing terrier along side the lurcher to push the rabbits out? Or wanting the lurcher to do it all so to speak?

Both, but mainly on my own,  to bush and catch for one dog is a big ask in my experience. 

9 minutes ago, Allan P said:

Both, but mainly on my own,  to bush and catch for one dog is a big ask in my experience. 

Whippet will be great as a bushing companion, but a little 22/23 inch lurcher would be my choice. Would be better suited to lamping and more capable daytime dog. I’m sure you’ll make the right decision. They’ll all catch a rabbit if you put the work in.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

get him 1 kev?he's a good kid?

my lad wants a little whippet x or a teckel to come out and knock about with me...my old black dogs never bushed, couldn't be trusted?could do with a dedicated busher for the Wheaton x....she tries to do every job....not complaining it's brilliant to watch....but she's not really built to go where a terrier or spaniel can?

I've been waiting 18 months for my mate to breed his little ratch about terrier, since losing mine I've not seen one amongst our group that works similar...this one does...all over top of the hedge bolter, loves a bit of ratting, works cover hard, but doesn't drop in...I'm not into digging, too much graft lol

Geth and Joe both have spaniel/terrier crosses, cracking bushing dogs...I've watched Geths a lot and it really is a very good dog through cover, I'm just not sure they are as sharp around holes when ferreting....I'm tiring of waiting for my mates now, but really miss that old terrier so will have to look around a bit....

A teckle!! This sausage dog disappears for f***ing hours in any cover, ruins many a walk...lol....shes a menace, a proper character...useless but would love to be a proper dog...lol....go for it...a working tackle could be a load of fun the way you boys hunt..

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

I've been waiting 18 months for my mate to breed his little ratch about terrier, since losing mine I've not seen one amongst our group that works similar...this one does...all over top of the hedge bolter, loves a bit of ratting, works cover hard, but doesn't drop in...I'm not into digging, too much graft lol

Geth and Joe both have spaniel/terrier crosses, cracking bushing dogs...I've watched Geths a lot and it really is a very good dog through cover, I'm just not sure they are as sharp around holes when ferreting....I'm tiring of waiting for my mates now, but really miss that old terrier so will have to look around a bit....

A teckle!! This sausage dog disappears for f***ing hours in any cover, ruins many a walk...lol....shes a menace, a proper character...useless but would love to be a proper dog...lol....go for it...a working tackle could be a load of fun the way you boys hunt..

I know exactly what your saying. Ive a cocker x terrier bitch here doing everything quite well but she aint got that something a good mooching terrier has. I keep thinking to put another terrier too her to make 3/4 terriers but i think im gonna just try to find a little bushing terrier pup instead. They deffo sharper and dont just crash cover for the sale of it wich is sommat i hate.

Edited by C.green
  • Like 1
39 minutes ago, Shortstraw said:

Whippet will be great as a bushing companion, but a little 22/23 inch lurcher would be my choice. Would be better suited to lamping and more capable daytime dog. I’m sure you’ll make the right decision. They’ll all catch a rabbit if you put the work in.

Trouble is I want to catch more than one.  ?

• Like 1
On 07/07/2019 at 13:30, Allan P said:

What’s people opinion , is a Whippet the best type for Lamping, Ferreting and Mooching for Rabbits? 

In my opinion the whippet is the best pure bred long dog for any kind of rabbiting ,it's only down fall it rips easy ,

whippet x bedlington would be my choice for a small lurcher under 22 but the whippet don't need any peping up from any breed other than to give coat  ,

got one here 314 whippet bedy ,wish he was young again ,best dog I ever had .took fox ,munty,hare and plenty rabbits and feather .

dint think you go wrong with a whippet for knocking rabbits over .

atb

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1