The Whippet is it the Ultimate Rabbiting Dog?

For a pure breed it probably is the best rabbit dog if you get a good one but the same goes for lurchers some are good rabbit dogs and some aren't. You pay for your dog and hope it's going to be a good one there's no way to know till you start to work it

• Like 2

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

no one breed or strain stands out, just individual dogs, and there are to many ways of using a running dog for rabbits, that's why no one can agree, and why an ultimate rabbit dog does not exist, the

my mate had a little whippet x called Dai,...3/4 whippet 1/4 bull,best little dog I've seen around nets and woodland ,hedgerow etc,tough as old boots and didn't miss much...id get 1 bred same way if I

Daytime rabbits hunted bolted and caught by one dog has to be the hardest form of rabbiting, but like bushing with a couple of dogs I find the most enjoyable......lots of missed rabbits and coming hom

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, Rusky1984 said:

For a pure breed it probably is the best rabbit dog if you get a good one but the same goes for lurchers some are good rabbit dogs and some aren't. You pay for your dog and hope it's going to be a good one there's no way to know till you start to work it

Depends on terrain as well......my jrt caught more than my whippet when bushing

• Like 1

Heres a picture  of my first cross Bed / Whip  a very good lamping dog but in fairness I had some very good Rabbiting  close to hand and the energy to get out as often has I wanted 

IMG_20190707_0012.jpg

3 minutes ago, micky said:

Heres a picture  of my first cross Bed / Whip  a very good lamping dog but in fairness I had some very good Rabbiting  close to hand and the energy to get out as often has I wanted 

IMG_20190707_0012.jpg

was he a smooth coated first cross. 

18 minutes ago, fred90 said:

was he a smooth coated first cross. 

Broken Coated   out of Ken Goulds  Stud  dog Mickey and the Bitch  was a very good Whippet  Gouldy lived near you he had a pig Farm at Sutton Bonington but hes moved on now or dead 

10 minutes ago, micky said:

Broken Coated   out of Ken Goulds  Stud  dog Mickey and the Bitch  was a very good Whippet  Gouldy lived near you he had a pig Farm at Sutton Bonington but hes moved on now or dead 

you can get a good variation in first crosses. like that twxt glover says in his books you can't get a smooth first cross. what a load of bxxxxcks seen plenty. 

21 hours ago, fred90 said:

I don't know that's what I am saying. I only keep little rabbit dogs and the outcross has always done it for me. plus I really don't see anything beating the Bedlington nose. 

Got beddy crosses but trying 3/4 whippet 1/4 Irish terrier at 6 months 21tts and good coat

• Like 2
Just now, troyboy17 said:

Got beddy crosses but trying 3/4 whippet 1/4 Irish terrier at 6 months 21tts and good coat

Heard it was a good cross years ago. hardest thing is finding a working Irish terrier if you can should be good 

20 minutes ago, poxon said:

for Some people they are the ultimate but for others no if they were the ultimate we would all own one an there be no need for Lurchers they'd be a thing of the past 

Don’t Lurchers have more strings to their bow than working just rabbits?  I understand some whippets do other work but aren’t they really bred for rabbits? 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Allan P said:

Don’t Lurchers have more strings to their bow than working just rabbits?  I understand some whippets do other work but aren’t they really bred for rabbits? 

Most  whippets and lurchers will work lots of quarry, but some are bred to do the job more effectively. I would go working rabbiting lurcher x working rabbiting lurcher rather than working whippet x working whippet......very little difference in working whippets and show whippets......Lots of whippets these day 22 plus inches.....prefer the shorter stockier type. One of the things on some whippets too is their bloody skin.....some is quite good others shocking.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1